Gransnet forums

Christmas

I've done it again....

(93 Posts)
Witzend Tue 17-Dec-19 09:00:39

Hidden all the bits for dh's stocking and can't for the life of me remember where I put them.

Ditto the Father Christmas duvet set I bought for little Gdcs last year, for the double sofa bed they share here. They're staying on Thursday night so I was pleased to be able to use it again - if I can find it! Why on earth I didn't just shove it in the airing cupboard....

harrigran Tue 17-Dec-19 10:40:01

One day last Christmas we had pre-prepared salad so that we could have a relaxing afternoon, when it came to mealtime I could not find the salad. We emptied the fridge and restacked everything but it was still missing, went into the cupboard to get a food storage box to make fresh salad and lo and behold there is a salad sitting amongst the empty boxes tchconfused

FarawayGran Tue 17-Dec-19 10:45:40

What a great idea Coconut. The number of things I have lost somewhere in the house would stock a shop. The worst one is a bundle of jewellery - My engagement ring, my mother's engagement ring and a gold link bracelet plus other bits and pieces. I have turned the house upside down. I don't think it was a thief, I really don't think a thief could find the stuff I've lost over the years ( I have been like this forever)
At the moment, I am looking for some cheese I bought last week - it's not in the fridge (!**!)

patricia1958 Tue 17-Dec-19 10:50:43

Do you all want something to laugh about I've bought my 7 year old grandson a real childs tool kit with real tools just need to get him some wood my daughter is going to kill me but never mind she can only kill me 1's lol

Disneyfan Tue 17-Dec-19 10:53:01

One year I bought cards and gift tags in the sales. Come Christmas, no sign, after Christmas found under bread bin!!!!!

Aepgirl Tue 17-Dec-19 10:54:13

I keep finding bits and bobs that I bought a couple of months ago. I wonder how many more I will find after Christmas.

nanamac77 Tue 17-Dec-19 10:54:41

I've lost my marbles.........................

ginny Tue 17-Dec-19 11:10:45

Last year I made some fused glass tree ornaments. This year I can’t find them anywhere. Obviously I put them somewhere very safe.

Riggie Tue 17-Dec-19 11:24:10

A bit like a previous poster I often put a note in my diary for things I put away...eg "C's present in xxx location" goes in my diary for a week or so before the birthday or christmas.

Coco51 Tue 17-Dec-19 11:31:12

This is a daily event in our house... ?

jennyvg Tue 17-Dec-19 11:35:58

Wits end

You need to offer up a prayer to Saint Anthony, he is apparently the patron saint of lost things, I lost my watch looked every couldn't find it offered up a prayer next morning said to hubby it couldn't be in the dustbin could it he went out and looked there it was, hubby had to clean it up and granted it needed a new strap but it is still ticking along nicely.

gillgran Tue 17-Dec-19 11:39:37

This year, my DH got out all our Christmas decorations a couple of weeks ago. Last weekend, with a DGD here, we planned to display them all, everything else there, BUT, no tree-lights, baubles,or angel..... we have hunted high & low, so far we have a very "natural look" Christmas tree..!! tchsmile

jannxxx Tue 17-Dec-19 11:39:56

well look at it the other way one day when you're not expecting it you will find all the goodies

squirrel5 Tue 17-Dec-19 11:40:49

I had so much to wrap last year,it took ages(7grandchildren),so I decided to wrap them as I buy them,starting early as I buy throughout the year,I wrapped them,but couldn't find labels,so did put their initials on the presents to label later, yes,guess what,I've forgotten what is in the parcels so end up opening than to find out what they are,.....reminder to self to write down items,but I'll probably lose that too?

TwiceAsNice Tue 17-Dec-19 11:44:49

Last year bought strips of shiny Christmas paper for grandchildren to make garlands couldn’t find them , did luckily find them later in the year so they did get them to do this year!

Always looking for something that I’ve hidden. Considering I live in a small flat there are not that many hiding places!

Beanie654321 Tue 17-Dec-19 11:48:18

Oh dear Wizend, I'm the same. We've had workmen in for 6 months so every thing was moved. I found a large box of presents that I bought in sale last Jan for 4 grandsons and must admit I had forgotten about. I was in tears yesterday as I had to get wrapping again, I hate it. 20 presents later, H came down stairs to ask me to wrap his presents for work mates, another 15. I was in land of maniacs. It's a regular thing in our house as I always buy well beforehand and forget about it.

Blinko Tue 17-Dec-19 11:50:30

I've done this in reverse... I sorted a load of stuff the charity chops, and also sorted my 'holiday clothes' and put them in a separate bag to store away. You know what happened. The holiday clothes went to a charity shop... grrr confused

Blinko Tue 17-Dec-19 11:50:54

...for the charity shops...

katie1 Tue 17-Dec-19 11:51:08

Last year I bought three packs of gold bows from M and S on a 3 for 2 offer either late October or early November. When I came to getting my wrapping things together I couldn’t find the bows anywhere. So to be going on with I got two packs from John Lewis, but later I was in M and S and bought three more packs of the original ones as they still hadn’t turned up. I was in the guest room wardrobe preparing for visitors when lo and behold I found the bows!! Needless to say I don’t need to buy any this year and probably next ?

GinJeannie Tue 17-Dec-19 11:54:59

I bought two gift cards in November from Next for DGDs and put safely on top of my wardrobe with other Christmas goodies. There’s only one there now! No idea where the missing one might be! I need Santa’s little helper ASAP!

Eileen1911 Tue 17-Dec-19 12:11:57

looks like you will be spring cleaning in December Lol.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 17-Dec-19 12:14:39

With me too this isn't an age thing, as I have always misplaced things or hidden them in a safe place, and then wasn't able to find them.

Now I have all the Christmas decorations in plastic storage boxes that are clearly labelled: Advent, tree decorations, manger, etc.

On my computer I have a list of what is stored where in the attic, so I don't have to empty it completely to find a pair of winter boots or the tent pegs.

Dh's presents re kept in my desk, or in the attic that he never goes into, as I years ago got tired of finding things weeks or months after Christmas.

3nanny6 Tue 17-Dec-19 12:17:56

It is three years since I carefully wrapped my small sparkling glass tree ornaments (about 15 of them) all very pretty. I did go through all the decorations I keep put away last year but still no luck in finding them. This year I have not bothered to look for them anyway I know they are safe somewhere and they will turn up out of the blue when they are meant to. I blame it on the resident house ghost, he must have taken a liking to them, haha

Coconut Tue 17-Dec-19 12:41:04

This seems quite appropriate for this post ladies !!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 17-Dec-19 13:03:45

I don't tend to lose Christmas things as I put them in the same cupboard each time BUT I'm damned if I can find my apron and another item which I can't remember.
How do you lose an apron, for heaven's sake? I remember folding it up ready to put away after use but that's the last I saw of it. It must be in a parallel universe.

midgey Tue 17-Dec-19 13:27:26

Ginjeanie the cards will have slipped down the back of the wardrobe....when you move they will turn up!
I have had a satisfactory time so far, I gave my granddaughter her Christmas present in the summer, money towards something very badly wanted, I told her there would be a present from me. Luckily for her I found what I lost last year. Job done!