Gransnet forums

Christmas

I've done it again....

(93 Posts)
Witzend Tue 17-Dec-19 09:00:39

Hidden all the bits for dh's stocking and can't for the life of me remember where I put them.

Ditto the Father Christmas duvet set I bought for little Gdcs last year, for the double sofa bed they share here. They're staying on Thursday night so I was pleased to be able to use it again - if I can find it! Why on earth I didn't just shove it in the airing cupboard....

Callistemon Tue 17-Dec-19 22:31:40

I am going to ask St Anthony again.

The pair I do have are scratched - why couldn't I lose those?

Chewbacca Tue 17-Dec-19 22:34:52

It's always the same Callistemon; I "lost" my good ones and had to wear the ones that got sat on for a couple of weeks. Everything was skewed and I looked like Eric Morecambe for a fortnight! grin

Callistemon Tue 17-Dec-19 22:37:45

Dear St Anthony, full of grace
Lead me to their hiding place

Now please

llizzie2 Wed 18-Dec-19 00:00:49

Everyone is watching us ready to pounce if we forget something and it is intimidating and unfair because everyone is different and forgetting where you put things is NOT usual for those suffering from dementia. Charities that have started up recently to extort money for Alzheimer's are only interested in raising money, and for what? All the research in the world will not find a cure, and if they suddenly did, what would the result be? Alzheimer's disease is very different to senile dementia. Dr Alzheimer described a type of dementia which starts in middle age, and if 100 years later a cure has not been found, then is it worth pursuing a cure? The charities show very elderly people in their adds and it is completely misleading. How much money do they send to research or is it just a way of perpetuating themselves in a job? If they really did some good with the money someone would surely have told them by now that their films show elderly people and that is senile dementia, but of course it does not sound so grand. I nursed part time on the female ward of a psychiatric hospital and we had both types and other mental illnesses to care for. They were never any trouble in those days, though I suspect now there is not the companionship for one another they had in the atmosphere of the ward I worked on in the 1970's.

TwinLolly Wed 18-Dec-19 04:47:30

Sounds like squirrels have hidden away things so no wonder we can't find them....

^Hey darling, can you find my pine nuts?^hmmconfused

The brain is amazing but sometimes it fails us... and there is no whereisit trail to help us... Time for a stiff drink...wine

TwinLolly Wed 18-Dec-19 04:48:38

The Hey darling bit was supposed to have been in italics but it went a bit wrong... blush

travelsafar Wed 18-Dec-19 08:10:06

Ha ha i thought this was going to be about something entirely different. I have done it again.... spent far too much money on Christmas!!!!! smiletchwink

Fflaurie Wed 18-Dec-19 09:32:26

I did this this year, my husband who does absolutely FA for Christmas and birthdays etc said he was worried about my memory...... I work full time, he is retired, I run the house, and deal with all the presents and card and guests etc., I told him I would get him a taxi to A&E............

Witchypoo Wed 18-Dec-19 11:08:04

I would love to buy gifts to hide. Only me so no point

Witzend Wed 18-Dec-19 11:36:08

A minor one, but I posted all my cards early, but kept back one for an Up North sister and BiL since we were going last week for a visit, taking all the Up North presents.

Of course I couldn't find the bloody card when we were actually leaving, although I'd put it in a 'safe place' ha ha, but of course it turned up after we got back. IIRC underneath the pile of cards dh still had to write - I don't do his particular friends or more distant relatives.

So now I've put it in another safe place for next Christmas, , so I can a) forget that I've got it, or b) forget where on earth I put it.

JeannieB44 Wed 18-Dec-19 12:22:34

Really convinced there is a black hole somewhere in this house. Most recent addition a pair of my slippers, thought the camera charger had gone too but thankfully that turned up before I bought a new one, slippers no sign of them.

Witzend Wed 18-Dec-19 12:32:35

llizzie2, after (too) many years of experience of dementia in 2 relatives, I never found a problem with them putting things away and forgetting where they'd put them.

Much more usual was hiding things, often in very unexpected places, completely forgetting having done so, and then accusing family or neighbours of stealing them.

BTW, I once heard a dementia expert on R4 saying that people often worried, if they forgot where they'd left their car in the car park, that dementia was rearing its hideous head.

He said that was nothing to worry about. The time to worry is when you get in the car and have forgotten how to drive it.

inkcog Wed 18-Dec-19 12:34:33

Wichy, you sound really low, DM me.

mumagain Sun 22-Dec-19 11:51:15

There’s always presents I’ve hidden away and can’t find till after the event and now that dd is away at uni , it’s more important than ever to find them for Christmas

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 12:28:33

last year, the woman over the road put all her wrapped presents in the boot of her car. The car was stolen!

When the kids were little I hid things in the cupboard under the stairs. One year I put chocolate coins in there (hanging in a carrier bag high up in the far corner). There were gold ones (milk chocolate) and silver (white chocolate).

When I retrieved them, all the gold ones had 'disappeared'. The silver ones were there. None of the four children would own up. I expressed my disappointment.

Several years later, doing up the kitchen-diner, we took some floor boards up. There were gold wrappers everywhere, well chewed by the mice! (So, now I know, they prefer milk chocolate - all floors are well sealed now!)

Witzend Sun 22-Dec-19 13:58:18

You mice had good taste, Hetty58 - to me, white chocolate is the work of the devil!

Back to missing items, one of dh's slippers (still in good condition) went missing about a week ago. We've looked everywhere - or rather I have, dh is a hopeless 'looker'. How on earth do you lose such a thing?

Still, the other day Celtic Sheepskin emailed me with a £20 off offer! Most opportune. So he's getting another present now - they arrived within about 36 hours.

Of course the other effing thing will now turn up. But not before Christmas Day, I hope.

M0nica Sun 22-Dec-19 16:47:52

When I and my sisters were young, we used to ransack the houses trying to find where all the presents were hidden. It was only when we were discussing it after both parents had died that we realised that our DD had probably kept them all at his office and only brought them home on Christmas eve. As he was in the army and they would have been essentially stored under armed guard, there was little chance of pilfering tchsmile.