Gransnet forums

Christmas

I've done it again....

(93 Posts)
Witzend Tue 17-Dec-19 09:00:39

Hidden all the bits for dh's stocking and can't for the life of me remember where I put them.

Ditto the Father Christmas duvet set I bought for little Gdcs last year, for the double sofa bed they share here. They're staying on Thursday night so I was pleased to be able to use it again - if I can find it! Why on earth I didn't just shove it in the airing cupboard....

Hawera1 Tue 17-Dec-19 21:45:02

I do that all the time. I suggest we all buy one large container. We put all presents in it and we write a list and put it in that container.make it a brightly coloured container. Now to follow my own advice.

Caro57 Tue 17-Dec-19 19:27:33

Referees!?!? That should be refers - hey ho predictive text!

Caro57 Tue 17-Dec-19 19:25:34

I’ve wrapped a layered pass the parcel with (marked) layers suitable for adults and children - trouble is I can’t remember which mark referees to which!!!

Missiseff Tue 17-Dec-19 19:25:16

Lol

Ohmother Tue 17-Dec-19 19:17:30

Ive been buying special Christmas pastries and meat..I’m thinking I’ll get it before supplies run out....only to find the best before date is 20th Dec. ?

Saggi Tue 17-Dec-19 18:59:16

It’s my granddaughters 8 th birthday on 20thDec... I have so far found three birthday cards for her .... bought in last couple of months and put away to be forgotten. Now all I have to do is choose which one..... and hope she remains 8 for the next two years!

Chewbacca Tue 17-Dec-19 17:06:02

Last weekend I saw a sweater that I thought would be perfect for OH for Christmas. Bought it and took it home to wrap up. Whilst scrabbling about on the top of the wardrobe I found an M&S bag with something inside. Opened it to find the exact same sweater, same colour, but a different size confused I have no recollection of when I bought but I must have liked it to duplicate it later.

Witzend Tue 17-Dec-19 16:55:18

Phew, I finally found everything. Had to stand on a chair to excavate the back of the top shelf of the airing cupboard to find the duvet set.

In the past I've found the odd present in June or July, that I'd bought early and completely forgotten about.

And ahem, a few weeks ago I bought some chocolate coated Brazil nuts for dh's stocking and hid them in the sideboard. And completely forgot them till late the other night - he'd gone to bed and I was feeling peckish - brain suddenly went went ping!
Shall have to buy some more, now.

CBBL Tue 17-Dec-19 16:40:37

Yes, I'm a member of this club, too! I buy presents when I see something that I think will be perfect for a family member, and then can't find them when I want them. Not done too badly this year, though I DID think I had bought some Christmas Cards early in the year (in the sales) - but could not find them and had to buy more. However, I now have a "Birthday Book" where I can keep birthday cards without losing them. The house is up for sale, so I'm not bothering with Christmas decorations this year. Oh, maybe that's just as well, since I couldn't find the reindeer decorations last year!

jenni123 Tue 17-Dec-19 15:54:09

I have always purchased gifts throughout the year, I can't afford to do it all at once. I buy my Christmas cards in January. I put a box in the bottom of my wardrobe and all the things I buy goes in there. yes sometimes there are two gifts for the same person but then they usually get one for a birthday. This way I normally keep everything in one place.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 17-Dec-19 15:52:18

I have just given up looking for the Christmas cards and gone out to buy (cheap) replacements ?. I will also have to replace the chocolate but that is another story .....

Ninjanana2 Tue 17-Dec-19 15:40:17

Haven't got a clue where the wrapping paper and ribbons etc have gone! Had to go and buy more ☹️

M0nica Tue 17-Dec-19 14:17:29

I put all the things I buy in dribbles through the year in my chest of drawers. When the official Christmas season starts I put a large plastic box with lid in the bedroom and everything goes in there.

One year when I bought DH a large present, it stood in the living room with a blanket over it and everyone was instructed not to see it.grin

flowersfromheaven Tue 17-Dec-19 14:00:56

I only thought it was me that forgetful, I'm so happy that it's normal LOL . Happy present Hunting all and what a surprise when you find something good it's a bit like Christmas.

Hm999 Tue 17-Dec-19 13:55:50

Ditto. Next year I'm writing a note on my phone where each is hidden

Knittynatter Tue 17-Dec-19 13:54:22

If I lose Christmas presents I generally find them in time for birthdays!

Horatia Tue 17-Dec-19 13:43:26

Sara65 We did the very same bought a gift set for our daughter, had the receipt but it was never seen again.

midgey Tue 17-Dec-19 13:27:26

Ginjeanie the cards will have slipped down the back of the wardrobe....when you move they will turn up!
I have had a satisfactory time so far, I gave my granddaughter her Christmas present in the summer, money towards something very badly wanted, I told her there would be a present from me. Luckily for her I found what I lost last year. Job done!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 17-Dec-19 13:03:45

I don't tend to lose Christmas things as I put them in the same cupboard each time BUT I'm damned if I can find my apron and another item which I can't remember.
How do you lose an apron, for heaven's sake? I remember folding it up ready to put away after use but that's the last I saw of it. It must be in a parallel universe.

Coconut Tue 17-Dec-19 12:41:04

This seems quite appropriate for this post ladies !!

3nanny6 Tue 17-Dec-19 12:17:56

It is three years since I carefully wrapped my small sparkling glass tree ornaments (about 15 of them) all very pretty. I did go through all the decorations I keep put away last year but still no luck in finding them. This year I have not bothered to look for them anyway I know they are safe somewhere and they will turn up out of the blue when they are meant to. I blame it on the resident house ghost, he must have taken a liking to them, haha

grandtanteJE65 Tue 17-Dec-19 12:14:39

With me too this isn't an age thing, as I have always misplaced things or hidden them in a safe place, and then wasn't able to find them.

Now I have all the Christmas decorations in plastic storage boxes that are clearly labelled: Advent, tree decorations, manger, etc.

On my computer I have a list of what is stored where in the attic, so I don't have to empty it completely to find a pair of winter boots or the tent pegs.

Dh's presents re kept in my desk, or in the attic that he never goes into, as I years ago got tired of finding things weeks or months after Christmas.

Eileen1911 Tue 17-Dec-19 12:11:57

looks like you will be spring cleaning in December Lol.

GinJeannie Tue 17-Dec-19 11:54:59

I bought two gift cards in November from Next for DGDs and put safely on top of my wardrobe with other Christmas goodies. There’s only one there now! No idea where the missing one might be! I need Santa’s little helper ASAP!

katie1 Tue 17-Dec-19 11:51:08

Last year I bought three packs of gold bows from M and S on a 3 for 2 offer either late October or early November. When I came to getting my wrapping things together I couldn’t find the bows anywhere. So to be going on with I got two packs from John Lewis, but later I was in M and S and bought three more packs of the original ones as they still hadn’t turned up. I was in the guest room wardrobe preparing for visitors when lo and behold I found the bows!! Needless to say I don’t need to buy any this year and probably next ?