Gransnet forums

Christmas

dressing your pets up for Xmas and buying them pressies

(80 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 22-Dec-19 16:19:16

How many of you buy your pets presents for Xmas, we do and they have their turkey dinner when we have ours, must admit though we don’t dress them up

jacq10 Sun 22-Dec-19 22:41:29

My thoughts on this are the same as Urmstongran but for one day if it gives the owners pleasure so be it but I do have a problem with "beer/wine" for dogs along with "Yoghurt" for sale in one of our local garden centres. There seemed to be a whole section of "treats" which made me think the world had gone mad.

Dinahmo Sun 22-Dec-19 22:51:04

Sorry to make a serious point but do beware of chocolate and dogs.They just don't mix.

Some years ago I left my westie in the bedroom where we were staying forgetting that there was a bar of chocolate in a shopping back. We returned after an hour and I noticed the silver foil on the floor. She'd got the chocolate out of the shopping bag, torn off the cardboard and silver foil and eaten the bar. I telephoned the vet and took her in immediately. She had 2 morphine injections and stayed in overnight on a drip. It cost me £130 10 years ago. My husband was holding her whilst I drove and he said he could feel her heart beat getting faster and faster. She could have died.

Buffybee Mon 23-Dec-19 00:49:44

Yes! Everyone in our family buy their dogs and cats presents for Christmas.
My dog Buffy has a lovely Christmas collar.
The cat? No, you don’t touch the cat as she is very feisty but enjoys Christmas by wrecking the bottom of the tree.
Merry Christmas everyone!

BradfordLass72 Mon 23-Dec-19 06:06:30

Esther1 You've just made a point I never considered before.

I shall now lodge a serious complaint with MissPuss.

I have bought her catnip 3 years running and have not received a single gift from her!

Oldwoman70 Mon 23-Dec-19 07:42:54

When we had a cat he would get special treats on Christmas day. I really dislike seeing animals dressed up in silly costumes - they are living animals not dolls.

Yehbutnobut Mon 23-Dec-19 07:57:22

Not just chocolate Dina mince pies are very dangerous too.

Witzend Mon 23-Dec-19 08:07:03

We never dressed ours up, except perhaps for a ribbon round dog's neck, but dog always had a turkey dinner. Much fussier cat would be offered but wouldn't always eat it, in which case dog would be only too happy to prevent waste!

I still have a vivid memory of three dogs (two belonged to guests) sitting and looking very politely hopeful in the kitchen, while I was stripping the turkey carcass for stock/turkey stew.

I gave them some, of course. All 3 now RIP.?

sodapop Mon 23-Dec-19 08:47:36

Is ours the only cat who turns his nose up at Dreamies ? He won't eat fish either but loves meat.

PamelaJ1 Mon 23-Dec-19 09:46:47

My sister buys outfits for her little thing.
I cringe with embarrassment if I go out for a walk with them.
I also inform her that dog clothes add to our climate change problems.

She ignores me?

nettyandmasey Mon 23-Dec-19 10:01:34

I make cat nip mice for all the family cats, and send four to my friends in France. 14 made in total !!

Ngaio1 Mon 23-Dec-19 10:23:54

My bitch had a Home made plastic mac for when the rain was driving down. My goldfish, Wellington, is having a new rock.

sazz1 Mon 23-Dec-19 10:31:58

No I don't buy my dogs anything or ever put coats, clothes bandanas etc on them. They are dogs, well loved cuddled, walked on beaches and fields etc eat the best food BUT they are dogs

Theoddbird Mon 23-Dec-19 10:42:56

I have seen Christmas cards for pets...I would make a fortune if my cats could read. Animals do not know one day from the next. I love my cats but they do not get presents at Christmas.

SuzyWoo1957 Mon 23-Dec-19 10:45:43

Absolutely not, stupid idea

BBbevan Mon 23-Dec-19 10:48:15

Our neighbour's have 4 small dogs, always referred t as 'the babies'. They often wear ballet dress type things and have their own pushchair. Enough said ?

polnan Mon 23-Dec-19 10:55:35

never bought my pets, many years of pets... Christmas presents, or birthday presents come to that. they don`t know and I don`t need to.

do not like any animals dressed up!

but my cat.. (many years of dogs and cats living together) now only one cat.. my cat MissT has cat nip all the year round... sensible cat, not like us silly `oomans!

sweetcakes Mon 23-Dec-19 10:57:08

Yes I bought our 15 year old BC a waterproof coat and treats for Christmas this year no toys though she can't be bother now but the granddogs will get a toy and a bag of treats.

Scribbles Mon 23-Dec-19 11:01:54

Good heavens, BradfordLass, your grandson's cat and mine could be sisters!

Any attempt to dress up this little Madam would undoubtedly result in a visit to A&E. She may look like a pussycat but, inside, she's a wild, wild critter.

As for treats: she's so over indulged already that there'd be little point!

Houndi Mon 23-Dec-19 11:06:57

Yes of course they are part of my family
A important part of my family.I buy my dog Meg presents wrapped up for her and she has turkey as well.We have fresh reared turkey from the farm and she will be enjoying that with us

Dee1012 Mon 23-Dec-19 11:07:18

Mine get new toy's and I buy a couple of chicken breasts for their dinner!
I don't dress them up though.. Rottweiler clothes are pretty hard to come by!

CraftyGranny Mon 23-Dec-19 11:13:13

I baked doggy biscuits yesterday and will pack them for my dog and my nieces dogs for Christmas. Today I will make beef jerky strips for them too.

Not made my mince pies yet though!

Craftycat Mon 23-Dec-19 11:14:03

Our cats ( & dog when we had one) get spoiled rotten all through the year anyway.
However they have to have a present at Christmas- probably catnip mice this year as they seem to have lost all the ones they had. They also have a cat play station in the sitting room although the Christmas tree is the main amusement for them at the moment- I just LOVE putting all the decorations back on the tree every morning- well they obviously think I do anyway!!

AllTheLs Mon 23-Dec-19 11:18:38

My cats get treats - really tasty treats, but I'd never dress them up

Phloembundle Mon 23-Dec-19 11:38:19

Oh yes. I have bought her a lovely Petface cord Xmas reindeer and a doggy sausage roll. We had a Dobe years ago who used to get the balloons to burst after Xmas. He never could understand where they'd gone after he popped them.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 23-Dec-19 11:46:24

All my cats have always been quite silly about wrapping paper and fancy string, so wrapped presents here are kept somewhere where the cat can't reach them.

And yes, I wrapped a tin of his favourite food up, so he can have the pleasure of undoing a parcel without being shouted at!

It's not exactly a present, as he would have been given it anyhow.

He will have a small portion of the roast AFTER we have eaten our Christmas dinner.

And I shan't be at all surprised if he brings us a mouse as a Christmas present. He's been keeping a strict watch on the heap of brushwood for days now.