Gransnet forums

Christmas

I love them honest I do but I’m glad they’ve gone.

(159 Posts)
morethan2 Fri 27-Dec-19 17:40:44

My son, their two children and two dogs have left after a lovely four days together and to be honest I’m glad to see the back of them. The dogs are the most stressful they get under my feet, follow me round all day. It’s probably because I smell of turkey and Christmas food. Boxing Day I had 14 to cater for.
After all the shopping, all the cooking not to mention the expense I wonder if it’s worth all the fuss. I can hardly believe I’m saying this, I can hardly believe I mean it. I wonder if I’ll regret thinking it in years to come when they don’t come. Is it just me or do any of you feel the same?

newgran2019 Tue 31-Dec-19 14:56:50

My DD asked us to host her baby's first Christmas as we 'do it properly'; I was very touched. We had 8 staying and more visiting and we did pay for most of it ourselves, but were just glad to have all our children and in-laws together for once, plus the joy of the little one. Even my mum didn't complain too much! No cross words, luckily, though I felt a little niggled about a comment one DIL made about my having made it quite clear we are not going to offer regular childcare; might just have been me being oversensitive, as usual, but overall it's better that they all know where we stand before more babies arrive!

The house feels very empty now they've all gone and we felt
a bit sad as they left, but it's nice having space again and not having to think about all that bedding and the different dietary needs (pescatarian, coeliac, alcoholic, morning sickness!).

Ellianne Tue 31-Dec-19 15:19:21

10 days and they're still here. I even changed the bed sheets and dished out new towels the day before yesterday. I enjoy that part, but the catering is another story. Thinking of new meals every day is getting tedious, I'm not very inventive in the kitchen, and the washing up goes on and on.
Having serious thoughts on how to curtail the stay next Christmas.

PernillaVanilla Tue 31-Dec-19 15:27:36

My sons do a lot of the cooking, I act as executive chef and DH does the clearing up, it works well but I still feel unsettled and a bit stressed and although I'm very sad when the week comes to an end and they go back to London there is a feeling of relief too. Everything in my kitchen they have used is in the wrong place, so I will have to move it all around again, and they ate all the chocolates on the Christmas Tree too.
I think next year I'll seriously consider one big Christmas order at M&S, so it will all be more peaceful.

lilypollen Fri 03-Jan-20 23:56:18

newgran2019 you are absolutely right to make it known that you won't be able to do regular child care. I was the same though tbf DIL's parents had already made it known they would be No. 1 childminders!!

Floradora9 Sat 04-Jan-20 16:58:28

I reckon I have cooked and served 39 covers as they in in restaurants that is one meal for one person.That is an evening meal always 2 courses sometimes 3 and always a vegetarian option. DGC loved all the food and are begging their mum to cook some of it as well . Nobody seems to realise that I am not exactly young and have had a lot of pain doing the cooking . But for that it was a joy to see differents strands of the family , blood family and step family , all together in a happy atmosphere.

Ellianne Sat 04-Jan-20 17:02:26

Now who is missing them awfully? I know I am.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Jan-20 17:02:48

Christmas in our house when I was growing up was always a subdued affair - my dad was and is a miserable sod so I always vowed that my own home would be noisy, relaxed and welcoming. I had to repeat that vow to myself several times over the holidays when it appeared I was hosting much of it grin To be fair, I wouldn’t have it any other way knowing what the alternative can be.

korol Thu 30-Jan-20 19:05:15

How old is your son?