Gransnet forums

Christmas

Taking the decs down yet?

(84 Posts)
lucywinter Sat 04-Jan-20 13:41:08

I have just carved up the tree and taken it outside in a sheet. Might leave the room decs till Monday.

Ellianne Sat 04-Jan-20 13:42:43

Yes, all down now and transported to the loft. It always seems a bit bare for a couple of days.

Sara65 Sat 04-Jan-20 13:45:13

I’m doing it now, always a bit sad to see it all coming down .

crazyH Sat 04-Jan-20 13:46:03

Yes, all down ..can't get to the loft so it's all in the cupboard in the spare room...

jura2 Sat 04-Jan-20 13:46:24

none up, none to take down, this year smile apart from the cards ...

tiredoldwoman Sat 04-Jan-20 13:46:31

I didn't put very much up this year , just a wee stick tree decorated with white doves and tin foil fish ! Plus a mirror with dried leaves and glass baubles strung across it - Ive left out my christmas candles though and will use them up over the weekend just to keep the niceness going .

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 04-Jan-20 13:50:44

Your tree sounds lovely, tiredoldwoman - I've taken down the cards and smaller decs, will deal with the tree tomorrow.

tiredoldwoman Sat 04-Jan-20 13:57:59

Yes , I really liked it too, the fish moved with the heat of the room so kept me entertained. I might make tin foil monkeys for it next year !
I've just cut up my cards to use blank bits for shopping lists .

shysal Sat 04-Jan-20 13:58:21

Took mine down days ago but, as is always the case, I noticed a couple of missed items after putting the rest back in the loft. They were knitted Santa hats for my garden cat ornaments. They will sit on the landing until I can be bothered to get the ladder out again.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 04-Jan-20 14:03:17

Just had various lights strung around the cottage. Cut lots of holly weekend before -managed to find berries on quite a lot! That went up with a few gold / red tiny baubles hung from it.

Took it all down on 2nd Jan.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-Jan-20 14:26:18

No, mine stay up until Twelfth Night.

SueDonim Sat 04-Jan-20 14:32:01

I’m doing it tomorrow. Youngest dd is still home and as she may well be working a long way from home next Chris as she wants the decks to stay as long as possible. She back to uni tomorrow so they’ll come down then.

I’ve got some spring bulbs potted up to bring into the house,to offset the bareness afterwards.

ninathenana Sat 04-Jan-20 14:32:08

All in the loft since 30th Dec.
I usually leave them until 2nd Jan. but I needed the boxes out of the spare room.

SueDonim Sat 04-Jan-20 14:33:15

Goodness, I really ought to preview my posts! grin

Mapleleaf Sat 04-Jan-20 14:34:16

We were going to dismantle the tree this morning but have decided to leave it until tomorrow when I'll be getting the car out of the garage. (The trees live in there, but the boxes aren't accessible until I move the car - I could move the car, I suppose, but I'm going out in it tomorrow so it can wait until then). However, I've been putting other decorations away so it's not such a big job in one go. Anyway, it's 12th night tomorrow which is the traditional time to put things away, though I must admit, this year, I've felt like starting earlier, probably because there's quite a lot to pack away!

grannymy Sat 04-Jan-20 14:37:08

I took mines down the other day. I always get fed up looking at them and like the "bareness" afterwards. Looks less cluttered.

I work in a hospital ward and had already put up and dressed the tree there, so by the time it came to my own I could have seen it far enough!

phoenix Sat 04-Jan-20 14:39:13

It will be done tomorrow, definite not my favourite job!

Still, at least when we put the kitchen dining room back to normal (Mr P is given free rein in there) it won't look like a cross between Santa's Grotto and a disco on steroids!

nanaK54 Sat 04-Jan-20 14:40:02

Tree has gone, cards are down, still have garland over fireplace I love it and will not take it down until Monday

MiniMoon Sat 04-Jan-20 15:09:35

The only thing left up is my Christmas tree. I left it on purpose because my two youngest grandsons and their daddy are having a sleepover here tonight. Big sister is having a birthday party at their house tonight, she will be 13 next week, and little brothers weren't invited!.

annsixty Sat 04-Jan-20 15:21:27

All done and dusted this morning, not much up actually so it took very little time.
For once I wasn’t sorry to see it all away.

NanaandGrampy Sat 04-Jan-20 15:36:53

No not yet ! I love the lights and such so leave them as long as I can .

rubysong Sat 04-Jan-20 16:11:57

We have neighbours coming in tomorrow evening and the tree has been particularly lovely so everything will stay until Monday.

lucywinter Sat 04-Jan-20 16:54:16

Yes, your tree sounds lovely tiredoldwoman. (Your name could so apply to me these days grin)

I was given a set of Marks and Sparks spring bulbs in boxes for my birthday in September and they have just been brought in out of the dark, so, like SueDonim I have something to cheer the place up a bit.

ginny Sat 04-Jan-20 17:00:24

Ours will be down tomorrow. I would have taken them down earlier but although we have seen DGS2 over Christmas he had not been in our house over Christmas until yesterday. He said he wanted to see certain ones he remembered from last year.

GrandmaMoira Sat 04-Jan-20 17:04:16

Mine came down yesterday. Family went home Wednesday evening so I would have done it on Thursday but was out all day. They are now in the loft room and need to be tidied and packed to go in the eaves cupboards.
This is my second Christmas here with a proper loft room so I can access it. Previously I had to wait for someone else to put things in/out of the loft.