Gransnet forums

Christmas

Taking the decs down yet?

(85 Posts)
lucywinter Sat 04-Jan-20 13:41:08

I have just carved up the tree and taken it outside in a sheet. Might leave the room decs till Monday.

Greenfinch Fri 31-Jan-20 20:22:30

I have made labels from mine using the pinking shears inherited from MiL.I have mainly used the glittery ones as they cannot be recycled.We still have one Christmas card up: a hand made one from DG1 who is autistic. All his cards feature our black cat.All those familiar with autism will understand.

mumofmadboys Fri 31-Jan-20 20:13:02

I re- read all the cards yesterday and made some gift tags for next year and recycled the rest.

lucywinter Fri 31-Jan-20 18:35:32

Actually its a phone box.

(little things are important)

lucywinter Fri 31-Jan-20 18:34:45

Tell us more larikon.

Re OP, I've still got a little postbox with a robin on it by the side of the tv. Keep looking at it and saying "must put that away".......

larikon Fri 31-Jan-20 18:29:13

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lemongrove Tue 07-Jan-20 21:35:06

I bagged up the cards and put them in a drawer, ready to make gift labels when I feel up to it.Glad to see others do the same, thought it was just thrifty old me ( like the Queen, saving bits of string)?

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 19:15:45

The cards are still on the dining room table.
I need to make a list

M0nica Tue 07-Jan-20 18:49:52

Everything dwn and packed but won't go up the loft until I have been through the cards and cut up next year's gift labels.

TwiceAsNice Tue 07-Jan-20 16:37:30

Took the tree and room decs down on Saturday. DD2 took it in her camper van back to the garden centre we bought it from to dump there and they dispose of it. She had 3 trees altogether , 1 each for her and her sister too. She came back on Sunday afternoon to take down the outside lights she put up for me. It looked very bare . Still have lots of candles on small tables I like to light them in the winter evenings

lemongrove Tue 07-Jan-20 16:23:53

Took my decs down yesterday, and polished round ( boy did it need it!)
Looked rather bare, but today am used to it, and bought myself a bunch of tulips as compensation.
I usually do find the odd ‘escaped’ dec, but this time didn’t, and in spite of having the same cough lurgy as many, found it all seemed easier to pack away this time.

M0nica Tue 07-Jan-20 16:19:52

Victoria, even!

M0nica Tue 07-Jan-20 16:19:22

Queen Voctoria couldn't have banned 12 night celebrations. That would require an Act of Parliament and I can find no trace of one. She may have banned them in her household, but that would be about as far as she could go. Mind you Cromwell banned them.

In googling this subject I came across this wonderful government site. www.lawcom.gov.uk/app/uploads/2015/03/Legal_Oddities.pdf

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 14:13:59

I found a little Christmas bell today and a star hanging on a door knob.

Of course, the Orthodox Christians have a different date, I forgot that.
Thank you

SueDonim Tue 07-Jan-20 12:16:26

Yup, Callistemon. I think there are baubles in every drawer in the house because of course I never remember where I put them from one year’s end to the next! They pop up at random times through the year.

Anyway, today is apparently Christmas Day in the Orthodox Church so enjoy your decs if you’ve still got them up! ?

Callistemon Tue 07-Jan-20 10:36:41

Does everyone else always find one decoration that you've missed?
Always found just after you've put the boxes away.

lucywinter Tue 07-Jan-20 10:15:39

"Sadly in the 1870’s, Queen Victoria outlawed the celebration of the Twelfth Night as a day of revelling, fearing everything would get out of hand."

Grumpy old so and so!

gmarie Tue 07-Jan-20 00:21:33

Nope. Mine stay up until January 31! I purposely use mostly winter decorations (snow flakes, snowmen, mittens, etc.) along with my small tree and sons' & dil's/gif's stockings hung from the mantle. I like to sit and enjoy the color and lights for a longer time after all the hubbub of the holidays. This is a tradition I started when my job required me to work 60 hours a week up until a few days before Christmas.

SueDonim Tue 07-Jan-20 00:11:19

And they’re down chez the Domins! grin I forgot the box of wrapping paper, though. That’ll have to stay in the dining room until, we go into the attic again.

I also posted off half of the Christmas cake to ds2, who loves it.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 20:53:30

Mmm it looks similar to Christmas cake.

We have Christmas cake left, perhaps I'll have a piece to celebrate 12th Night!

I just looked up Mary Berry's Twelfth Night cake (BBC Food) and it says
"No cooking required"

Then says 'bake for 2.25 - 2.5 hours
confused

lucywinter Mon 06-Jan-20 20:44:37

In my Mrs Beetons book there is a recipe for Twelfth Night cake. I made it once. It's really boring, but I could eat a piece now.

SueDonim Mon 06-Jan-20 20:36:48

I’m doing mine this evening. It was supposed to have been done yesterday but I was needed at my dd’s as her husband got taken into hospital (Home, now with a bagful of antibiotics!).

Dh had taken down what he could but was too scared to remove any of the glass baubles! grin

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 20:25:53

Oh, it's 12th Night!
Somehow I think revelry and mischief will pass us by.

Perhaps I'll re-read my favourite Shakespeare play.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 20:24:02

We thought it was because it's hibernation time but it is probably post viral.
I did manage more cleaning and washing today!
Still have Christmas boxes to put away.

DoraMarr Mon 06-Jan-20 19:12:07

I hauled the Christmas tree on to the balcony, because it seems quite alive, and I can’t bear to throw it away in the skip. I’ve just noticed some mistletoe is still up above a window. My father would have been worried: he was quite superstitious, and insisted all decorations were down before sunset on 12th Night.
I had a really good idea for storing the lights: I got the middle of a toilet roll, made a little slit in the top and put one of the lights through, then would the rest around the toilet roll, and finished by putting the battery case inside. tchsmile (I don’t often have good ideas. ) my floor has a fair amount of needles on it, but I’m sitting on the sofa eating Christmas cake and having a glass of wine. Happy Twelfth Night! It used to be a time of revelry and mischief!

M0nica Mon 06-Jan-20 19:01:00

Callistemon cold and cough, sooner that than a tummy bug!

I have now got the decorations down although 2 undecorated trees wait to, in one case, be taken out of the house and to the tip, the other packed back into its box and put in the loft.

That will be done tomorrow I feel exhausted.