Gransnet forums

Christmas

Xmas decs

(154 Posts)
Gingster Thu 22-Oct-20 07:59:02

Has anyone got their Xmas decs up yet? On Tv yesterday, people showing their houses already decorated. I will do mine 1st December but I can understand people wanting a bit of magic after this horrendous year. ?

Sardinia2020 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:00:34

1 December for us for the outside lights. I really hope people will bother with Christmas decorations this year. We could do with a bit of sparkle and brightness at the moment.

Corkie91 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:02:43

Far too early and doubt if I'll bother this year, most probably be in lockdown and not seeing anyone, so what's the point

Redhead56 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:03:38

I used to put a real tree up mid December. We became grandparents to gorgeous redhead twins. We decided to buy a beautiful snowy fake tree from Dobbies it's beautiful.
It goes up 1st December so our now three granddaughters can see it. I am still a child at heart we didn't have much growing up so the little Christmas tree we had was magical.

Juicylucy Thu 22-Oct-20 10:03:50

Good grief no, I stick to 12 days of Christmas as it’s supposed to be.

helgawills Thu 22-Oct-20 10:04:22

I grew up in Germany, tree always went up weekend before Christmas, with real candles on, so it would not dry up and become a fire risk, still doing the same now. Trying to share photo from a previous year, hope it works.

EmilyHarburn Thu 22-Oct-20 10:04:38

Will get out my wreath and put it on the door in December. Otherwise I am not inclined to decorate this Christmas thanks to covid.

Moggycuddler Thu 22-Oct-20 10:05:27

No, absolutely not! I hate it that in recent years all the Christmas stuff starts earlier and earlier, some people putting their decs up even in Sept, which is utterly absurd to me. It takes away all the magic of Christmas. We put ours up about a week before Christmas and take them down on January 2nd. That is just long enough to enjoy them and get in the mood without getting weary of it. We have friends who start playing Christmas songs in September and continue until February, which to me is insane. It makes actual Christmas day and Boxing Day sort of meaningless.

Petalpop Thu 22-Oct-20 10:07:23

Not until the weekend before Christmas. If we put them up too early the cats will destroy them.

rowanflower0 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:09:21

Although I change the colours on my main tree each year, and buy baubles in the January sales, I don't put up my tree before December - and as there will be no visitors this year, may not put up my hall tree - white tree and clear glass ornaments, at all!

Blossoming Thu 22-Oct-20 10:10:49

Steady on, it isn’t even Hallowe’en yet.

Ellianne Thu 22-Oct-20 10:11:36

I've just seen Advent starts on November 29th this year. Doesn't it mean something like "coming" or "arrival", and has religious connotations? I'm happy to go along with the build up.

Phloembundle Thu 22-Oct-20 10:11:43

Are you 'avin' a larf?

Ellianne Thu 22-Oct-20 10:13:24

Petalpop

Not until the weekend before Christmas. If we put them up too early the cats will destroy them.

Yes, and our dog eats all the hanging chocolates, no kidding! One year he had the whole tree over 3 times. We hang them higher now!

maddyone Thu 22-Oct-20 10:16:18

No decorations before December in this house.

Witzend Thu 22-Oct-20 10:22:43

Yes, it’s 29th Nov this year, @Elliane, so instead of waiting until 1st Dec to make my first batch of mince pies (accompanied by carols and mulled wine ?) I’m now persuading myself that the beginning of Advent will not really be breaking my own rule.

At my senior school, the first carol we ever sang in assembly, as soon as Advent was upon us, was O Come, O Come Emmanuel - and I still love that, because of the connotations of Christmas not far off.

nipsmum Thu 22-Oct-20 10:26:35

Absolutely not. No thought of Christmas until after my daughters birthday on the 8th of December. That's a family rule.

Rosina Thu 22-Oct-20 10:31:37

No! I love having a tree and seasonal decorations around the house, but they are special, and I save the moment until mid December. Come the 27th they are packed away - the event is over and I can't see any point in having them on display any longer. Having ten days only for decorations makes them a brief and pretty interlude, and I don't get tired of looking at them. Please note I have not used the 'C' word throughout this post.

eazybee Thu 22-Oct-20 10:32:58

Absolutely not; ghastly.
We used to wait until after December 19th, a family birthday, but now it is usually the 15th because all the best fresh trees have gone if we leave it longer.
I like the twelve days of Christmas, and always keep the decorations up until 5th/6th January.

BelindaB Thu 22-Oct-20 10:35:55

Never, EVER before Christmas week! It takes away all the magic!

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:38:53

Crikey, no!! It will get done sometime in December!!

Witzend Thu 22-Oct-20 10:39:23

For that same reason, we often buy our tree several days before putting it up, @eazybee. It stays outside in a bucket of water - after dh has sawn an inch or so off the bottom.

ginny Thu 22-Oct-20 10:39:40

NoWay !
Up the weekend before Christmas and down 2 nd of Jan.
Love Christmas but you can have too much of a good thing.

mumofmadboys Thu 22-Oct-20 10:41:30

I think a week before Christmas is soon enough for us.
No wonder Christmas turns out to be disappointing if decorations are put up in October!

henetha Thu 22-Oct-20 10:44:09

Christmas decorations now? Not for me thanks. But I do like them and will festoon the house a week or two before Christmas and leave them until 5th January.

Nanny27 Thu 22-Oct-20 10:45:17

I love to put mine up on Christmas Eve but the rest of the family think that's far too late so we compromise on about 10 days before Christmas Day.