Gransnet forums

Christmas

When are you planning on putting up decorations?

(39 Posts)
queengran Wed 11-Nov-20 16:43:08

One of my neighbours already has Christmas lights on outside and her very excited little boys have told me they've decorated the Christmas tree. She seemed very apologetic about it but basically said it's been such a rough year she wanted Christmas to last as long as possible. Although I've always been very strict about Christmas decor etc only going up in mid-December, I think I understand, especially with the little ones. So, what is everyone else doing? Will you wait till the Christmas Eve? Or has this rubbish year made you want to bring out the mince pies and pine-scented candles that much earlier? Personally, although I don't think I'm ready for Christmas songs just yet, I'm ready for my first mince pie. Anyone want to join me?

Blossoming Wed 11-Nov-20 16:51:47

I don’t like having them up too early but each to their own. Ours usually go up the week before Christmas Day, not sure if we’ll bother this year. The house is in disarray as we’re having some work done which won’t be finished until next year. We took the opportunity to have a massive declutter and there’s loads of stuff waiting to go to the recycling centre and the charity collection point but we’re still under local lockdown so that’s on hold. We’ll still enjoy Christmas together with or without the tree ?

tanith Wed 11-Nov-20 16:54:37

Christmas Eve as usual but I wont do much as it’s only me that will see them.

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Nov-20 16:55:08

December 1st. It was always the first Sunday in December but now Mr. S. has retired it's the 1st.

phoenix Wed 11-Nov-20 16:56:20

Saw a house this afternoon with outdoor fairy lights up and on. Must say it looked very cheerful.

However ours will probably go up mid December.

Think many will do their outside ones earlier than usual, to brighten these dark times and dark nights.

MaizieD Wed 11-Nov-20 16:56:58

Christmas Eve, as usual.

Take them down on Twelfth Night.

biba70 Wed 11-Nov-20 17:00:20

no family this year- so no decorations. No Christmas either- but a nice roast with all the trimmings on the day.

Puzzler61 Wed 11-Nov-20 17:02:19

Front of house lights - whenever DH does them (that’s his job).
Indoor ones ( the tree is my job) will be done on the nearest Saturday to Christmas Day. ?

Puzzler61 Wed 11-Nov-20 17:03:18

And Yes please to mince pies queengran. It’s never too early for those!

Grandmabatty Wed 11-Nov-20 17:03:54

I used to put them up the weekend before Christmas and take them dwon January 2nd. That was when I was working and had two children. Now I'm retired I like to put them up a bit earlier, maybe first Sunday in December. I'll still take them down on second of January though.

Pittcity Wed 11-Nov-20 17:08:00

There are several houses around town that are lit up like Blackpool Illuminations already.
I am of the Keep Christmas in December persuasion.
As we are moving house I'll take the chance to cull my decorations.

Davida1968 Wed 11-Nov-20 17:14:04

Not before mid-December! (As a teacher I always used to wait until the school term had finished.) IMO it seems sad to start now - I don't know how small children will understand this - surely a long wait for Christmas will just drag on for them, and this will reduce the fun?

Lexisgranny Wed 11-Nov-20 17:14:05

It always used to be mid December, but this year it will be December 1st. Christmas will be different, there’s no doubt about it, the winter will be long and dark. To me the lights will signify how things used to be, and hopefully how they will be again.

Dottynan Wed 11-Nov-20 17:20:36

We usually decorate mid December but this year will do it around the first as it has been such a rubbish year. Let us all spread some cheer

Oopsminty Wed 11-Nov-20 17:21:09

We already have one up! It's the artificial in the hall. We get 3 real trees for various rooms and we'll do them as normal in mid-December

But our hall looks absolutely gorgeous now with the lights and Festive bits and bobs. Nobody can actually see it from outside so it can't offend anyone ;-)

I think we can put our decorations up when we like. It doesn't hurt anyone.

ginny Wed 11-Nov-20 17:21:42

Same as usual. Weekend before Christmas.

ixion Wed 11-Nov-20 17:38:14

How about a photo gallery (thread) of Christmas trees and decorations to share with those who may miss their usual family traditions?

Witzend Wed 11-Nov-20 18:42:55

Small potted tree - last year’s in the garden - will go outside the front door, with lights, on 1st December.

The rest, inc. the indoor tree, not usually until at least mid Dec., though it’s been earlier if guests have been due.

Once we have a few cards I do start blu-tacking those to various painted surfaces as they arrive.

I love seeing other people’s trees in their windows well before we put ours up, though. So nice and cheerful on dark days.

3nanny6 Wed 11-Nov-20 19:01:19

I shall start putting a few decs, up fairly soon and am not waiting until the 1st December as it has been a terrible year.

I went out to the supermarket and on my way home a house had their outside lights up and a bright Christmas tree in the window. It looked so cheerful and probably one of the first ones up so now I expect to see several more houses decorated.
No mince pies for me not for another couple of weeks but then I only eat maybe one or two over the Christmas as I am not a great lover of them.

rafichagran Wed 11-Nov-20 19:10:34

Mid December for me. I love Christmas and as I always have a real tree I put it up later.
I understand the sentiment of people putting them up earlier this year but I wonder if the children will get fed up with it.

maddyone Wed 11-Nov-20 19:21:39

Not before December for sure.

Georgesgran Wed 11-Nov-20 19:29:20

Up the weekend before Christmas for me and packed away on Boxing Day. It’s a standing joke in my family that I hate Christmas!

MrsThreadgoode Wed 11-Nov-20 19:31:35

I have fairy lights in the kitchen and around the fireplace all year round, Decs are going up 1st December to cheer us up, no GCs this year so we need something to make us smile.
Had a minced pie this evening, home made ones won’t happen until Christmas week.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Nov-20 19:51:36

Tree being delivered on 11 December so next day I expect.

A neighbour has the full regalia put up at the weekend. I must say it is very cheerful and not really early given the year we’ve had.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Nov-20 21:04:11

Week or two before Christmas they ve all got them up here I can’t bear it so early it’s so boring seeing them for weeks and weeks and weeks loses all its sparkle and just feels so boring takes all the enchantment off if they are up so long in my opinion