Gransnet forums

Christmas

Awful presents

(128 Posts)
Quizzer Sun 22-Nov-20 14:05:35

I know I shouldn’t let this get me down but it does every year. Men can be notoriously bad at buying presents but my husband has got it down to a fine art! Gifts in the past have included a telephoto lens for HIS camera and the traditional new vacuum cleaner of a type I don't like.
Three years ago he topped it all. We were spending Christmas Day day with DS and his in-laws. DH produced a small box, badly wrapped, which he gave me with great ceremony. Knowing his past history I was a little worried but couldn’t believe what was inside. It was a pretty "sapphire and diamond" ring. Nice, however it was the ring that I had bought for myself from Argos' sale 3 months earlier and had already worn. He taken it it from my jewellery box and wrapped it up. Because of the company we were in I said nothing at the time, just closed the box. Later he said that he would pay for the ring for me. I said "Great, you owe me £12.99". The ring was just cheap costume jewellery, never bought myself expensive jewellery. I couldn’t ever wear it again so it went to the charity shop. Since then I have received no presents for birthday or Christmas as apparently I am difficult and ungrateful. I just feel miserable and unappreciated.

lemsip Thu 26-Nov-20 08:28:19

and that is the trouble with spending money on gifts for people! They will not like it so save your money!

MissAdventure Thu 26-Nov-20 12:14:22

Exactly!
We suggested we should stop sending presents, but she was very offended at the idea; really cross.

So each boxing day we would put on our jumpers (padded shoulders, little penguins, sewn in brooches, and always in the wrong size) and think of her.