Gransnet forums

Christmas

Mother Christmas . Any more out there?

(67 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 26-Nov-20 17:18:34

Yesterday my DH said " let's have a discussion tomorrow about what other presents we still need to buy". WE!!! I love him dearly, but he does make me laugh sometimes!!! Are there any other Mother Christmases out there?

fevertree Sat 28-Nov-20 22:02:36

Lucretzia grin

Lizbethann55 Sat 28-Nov-20 11:47:44

Thank you so much for all your lovely replies. I am so glad that I am not alone! My DH is another one whose main contribution is "do you want my bank card?". I always thank him and graciously accept, even though our accounts are all joint ones and I have my own cards for them! Years ago there was a poem in the church magazine "an ode to Mother Christmas ". I kept it and would write it out for you, but it is in the Christmas decorations box in the garage. We have even trained our 4 year old granddaughter to say " it's not even December yet". But that's a different discussion!!!?

AnotherLiz Fri 27-Nov-20 20:46:52

Same here. I do all the family Christmas presents and most of friends presents too, Christmas stocking, Christmas decorations etc. I used to do all the cards as well, but a couple of years ago I decided he could do his family members cards - we're both retired now, so I still choose them, and address the envelopes but give them to him to write. Progress smile

Kim19 Fri 27-Nov-20 19:07:43

My husband was very happy to pay for any presents I chose for everyone and he sometimes chipped in with ideas of items he would like our sons to have. Otherwise he didn't participate. To be fair, he did all the house decoration and tree setting up without much input from me so I reckon we were quits.

Lucretzia Fri 27-Nov-20 18:37:50

I'm not feeling 100% at the moment. Chronic thing,

So I have informed Mr Lucretzia that it's on him this year

So far we have about 6 boxes of bath bombs and a plastic pigeon

I might just have to give him a hand

quizqueen Fri 27-Nov-20 18:32:38

If men don't do anything for Christmas and never have, then the blame lies with their wives and mothers who have cocooned them from never having to show initiative !

lemongrove Fri 27-Nov-20 18:21:14

Another Mother Christmas here?
I do it all, although DH does take a passing interest in the Christmas menu.
I also do all birthday gifts and cards for family and friends throughout the year. I think it’s a common theme .....most women seem to do this.
Am not complaining though.

timetogo2016 Fri 27-Nov-20 16:10:20

I do the lot,Christmas/Birthdays.Anniversarys.
Dh only buys my gift/card but never wraps them as it`s a waste of paper.

Kate1949 Fri 27-Nov-20 15:57:20

Another one here. I put so much a month away, decide on gifts, buy and write cards, wrapping, postage stamps. I wrap, decide on the days for distribution. I organize a meal at a pub/restaurant (in normal years) for 11 family members. They all give me so much a month to save for them towards Christmas. DH does buy me some things but rarely surprises. I give him a list. He does go across the road to the post box to pop the cards in! I asked him what he would do if anything happened to me. He said 'Give money.' He's a good soul though.

Grandmama Fri 27-Nov-20 15:46:44

DH has been talking about sending Christmas cards for several weeks - how WE must get on with it - but he sends hardly any cards - just to ex-work people and one or two others he knows. I send all the others which is quite a long list, most with a little message in, so it takes time.

When the DDs were young and we were strapped for cash I made almost all the family presents to save money one year. What did DH do? Probably for the first time ever he bought presents for most of the people I'd made presents for!!! hmm

Happysexagenarian Fri 27-Nov-20 15:21:47

It's always me that has to choose cards and presents for all occasions. We do discuss ideas for presents but I then have to trawl the shops or online to buy them. This morning MrH asked me (yet again!) what I wanted for Christmas and when I mentioned something he immediately said 'Oh right, well leave the ironing and find it and order it' Such a look of relief that he didn't have to go shopping or think about it any more! Said present has been ordered. To his credit he never quibbles or even asks how much I spend on gifts so I can't complain. Our sons buy gifts for their wives but leave the kids presents and card buying to our DILs.

Bluecat Fri 27-Nov-20 14:54:04

I am Mother Christmas.

DH has never written a card except mine, and I have often had to say "Where's my card, then?" before he remembers. He never buys the presents, though he is always willing to hand over his debit card, and doesn't even know what we've bought. He used to get my presents, wrapping them furtively late on Christmas Eve, but my DD started doing it for him - choosing, ordering, wrapping and even writing the gift cards . Last year, he did it himself - chocolates (good), Alexa (very good), electric toothbrush (not so good.) This year, I have bought my own.

He will go up, grumbling, into the eaves to get the decorations. He will also reluctantly put up the tree. However, he won't do any of the decorating.

I think that Christmas wouldn't happen if mums didn't make it happen.

Musicgirl Fri 27-Nov-20 14:30:32

I've always been Mother Christmas here and am in the middle of writing Christmas cards. One year, on the 22nd December, he asked me if we had sent any cards to his family on the other side of the world. My reply was that I had sent them weeks before.

Cabbie21 Fri 27-Nov-20 14:28:38

I am very happy to say that DH sorts all the cards and presents for his side of the family, and sends cards to his friends, mainly former work colleagues going back years.
We each have children from previous marriages and sometimes it saddens me that he takes no interest in what I am getting for the grandchildren, and I rarely see what he has got for his granddaughter, but at least it works and I don’t have to take all the responsibility.
I would love to sit down together and write the cards for our current joint friends but that doesn’t happen. We just divvy them out, but again, he does his share.
We both have birthdays in early December and not much happens about Christmas before then.

CBBL Fri 27-Nov-20 14:27:45

Another "Mother Christmas" here! I've always done the present buying, both for Christmas and Birthdays, Anniversaries, etc. Himself complains that I never involve him, but takes no interest when I try to discuss gifts of any kind. He will put money towards something expensive (for a Wedding Present, say), and is generous to me. He would buy me anything I asked for (assuming he could afford it)- so I don't complain.

Aepgirl Fri 27-Nov-20 14:19:52

My (now ex) husband used to ask me every year ‘have we sent a card to ......?’ My answer was always, ‘I have, but I don’t know if you have’. Perhaps that’s why he’s now my ex!!

marpau Fri 27-Nov-20 14:11:13

When our DSs left home DH was gutted to find Santa did not exist! Up to that point he woke on Christmas morning to lots of presents under the tree which had appeared by magic. The DSs had an idea what was in them but DH had no clue as he was oblivious to the incessant pleas and lists from DSs in the run up to Christmas ???

biba70 Fri 27-Nov-20 14:01:36

ah, the Royal we- yes- my dad, and now my OH

grandtanteJE65 Fri 27-Nov-20 13:58:58

Oh, yes, any present buying for Christmas or birthdays is my job.

To such an extent that I was so happy when DH said earlier this month, "I must do something about your birthday present soon"

Come my birthday, no present, and he had completely forgotten about my birthday.

Writing cards, e-mails etc. is my job too, even although the family we have left is his relations by birth, not mine.

But I love Christmas and looking for presents, so I don't mine, though the forgotten birthday did sting a bit.

Saggi Fri 27-Nov-20 12:39:44

My husband hasn’t shopped for a single present for anybody ( including me) since my marriage day....which he also didn’t help with. I should’ve thought then that I would become his servant. I didn’t....so I am. He happily hands over money .... but won’t shop...not even for his own clothes!!

Anniechip Fri 27-Nov-20 12:08:53

Definitely Mother Christmas here, I do it all and love every minute of it!! DH.asks me for ideas but never wants to know what I’ve bought for other family members. Parcels and bags everywhere but never thinks to ask what is in them!
And on Christmas Eve asks for wrapping paper to wrap my gifts- “ I only need a little piece”!! And I always have a pile from him!

Caro57 Fri 27-Nov-20 12:02:10

DH struggles to think of presents for his children and always asks my DD what she thinks I would like - woeful!

Paperbackwriter Fri 27-Nov-20 12:02:03

I buy the presents (except the one he gets for me) but he organises and cooks all the Christmas food so I think I definitely come out as the winner.

4xGranny Fri 27-Nov-20 11:55:48

We always make present buying a joint effort. My DH often has the best ideas and makes the orders. I am in charge of wrapping but only because I enjoy it.

Nannan2 Fri 27-Nov-20 11:50:19

Usually eldest of the 2 sons does order me a gift though(amazon or some such) but this year i told him i need slippers then just in case showed him which ones & where to get.so he ordered& will (eventually) wrap them.card too he will get on amazon usually.&add his brothers name on.(this yr youngest (17) has let me choose my own gift & hes going to pay for it & wrap it at some point!(i hope!)?