Gransnet forums

Christmas

Teenage girl Christmas present ideas

(67 Posts)
Grandmabatty Wed 02-Dec-20 18:41:07

My ds's partner has a dd who is in her early teens. We don't see them often and this year I've seen her twice. I've asked her mum if an amazon voucher would be ok for Christmas and she replied yes. However I think she was maybe being polite. My ds is useless for ideas. The girl is lovely. She's had a few problems over the years but is always polite and friendly to me and the family when we meet up. I like her a lot although she and her mum don't stay with my ds. Can anyone think of something I could get her that's nicer than a voucher? She dislikes reading and has specific shops for clothes and I know my dd and her mum are organising that side. I'm sure she will be happy with the voucher but it seems impersonal somehow. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

NotSpaghetti Sat 05-Dec-20 09:42:21

If you want to go the magazine way, I'd definitely check it with her parents as magazines are very varied.

I can't imagine (even in my day) that by, say, 13 a grandparent would have any idea what I would want to read.
Actually, so much is online now, just wondering if even the mother might know....
Tricky.

Teacheranne Sat 05-Dec-20 09:43:56

I have a teenage niece but would not buy her anything without asking my sister what she would like! I have no idea what she wants and would not buy the right makeup, jewellery, toiletries or clothes so it would be a waste of money. It was the same when my children were teenagers, I had to give suggestions to my family about what they would like.

I only buy my niece sweets or chocolate without asking so unless you can ask her mother, an Amazon voucher with maybe some chocolates is the safest option.

This year I’ve bought a bar of chocolate which has a wrapper looking like a £50 note and I’m going to pop £50 in notes inside the wrapper for my niece and nephew to find. Hopefully they will appreciate the joke! But I still checked with my sister that she didn’t have anything specific in mine for them.

Spec1alk Sat 05-Dec-20 09:52:53

A pretty purse with cash in?

Pippa22 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:14:53

Be very careful when buying vouchers as the stores might not be there after Christmas Cash is so much better.

NotSpagetti, I hate Lush and have to cross the road to get past mine in the town. I am not an allergic person but whatever the fragrances Lush use really irritate me and my nose and eyes run at the slightest whif of their overbearing smells.

Moggycuddler Sat 05-Dec-20 10:32:12

Go for an Amazon voucher, maybe with a box of chocs or scented bath stuff (but fruity and trendy, not lavender or rose etc which I've been told are "old lady" scents!) Teenage girls are very hard to please with gifts, very picky. She'll be happy with an Amazon voucher, I'm certain. They love to choose for themselves at that age.

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Dec-20 10:33:32

Lots of further good advice and I thank you all. I wouldn't get anything without checking first with her mum but thank you for the friendly help.

4allweknow Sat 05-Dec-20 10:40:59

Depends on how old a teenager? At 13 a makeup kit would probably be welcomed. Once they hit 15 and above, stick with the vouchet with perhaps a parcel with a little gift say a bath bomb, makeup bag. Just be grateful its for a female,young males are a nightmare!

BusterTank Sat 05-Dec-20 10:46:26

You can't go wrong with vouchers . She would appreciate that more than a gift she really didn't want . It doesn't just have to be amazon , you can buy love 2 shop vouchers at the post office . They are excepted in many stores .

RosesAreRed21 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:49:19

I have a teenager gd and she is very particular on what she likes so She always make a wish list Which is great. One thing she loves to get every year is a new pair of PJ’s and you can get some lovely ones. You could try and find out what her favourite perfume is.

I agree a present would mean more than a voucher

jenni123 Sat 05-Dec-20 11:00:33

I will not give cash for Christmas gift, I prefer to find something they can open, but they do get cash for birthdays.

Awesomegranny Sat 05-Dec-20 11:19:08

I’ve 2 teenage granddaughters all they want is clothes or makeup so it’s a case of me sitting down with them and ordering with them. Otherwise it’s money. The youngest I’m getting a digital pen for which may be an idea if she’s crafty, but best to check. Never never buy clothes or makeup as teenagers are so fussy as to what they like.

Dottynan Sat 05-Dec-20 11:30:43

Boring I know but what about a premium bond

Juicylucy Sat 05-Dec-20 11:36:41

If she has pay as you go phone you could buy her a healthy top up for her to chat with her friends. I’d be careful with magazine subscription as they can read them on there phones by downloading the app.Also music is a winner with teenagers a subscription for Spotify so she can listen to her favourite tunes. If she doesn’t have a phone I would find out her favourite cloths shop and buy voucher from there. I wouldn’t buy my teenage gd a voucher from Amazon I do feel that’s impersonal but that’s just me. Or you could find out her favourite pop star and buy her a t shirt or sweatshirt from there merchandising range.

sundowngirl Sat 05-Dec-20 11:37:31

I bought my 14 year old granddaughter a light up make up mirror from Amazon. It had a part that was magnifying it
also folded up so was ideal for travelling too. She was delighted and her 12 year old sister wants one now smile

NemosMum Sat 05-Dec-20 11:41:35

Amazon Voucher (not High Street store, they might go bust with your money, and restricts her to one shop) and a little something personal for the season e.g. a string of fairy lights for her room, or a box of home-made chocolate tiffin (I use Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Chocolate Fairtrade cake recipe - no bake, delicious and always well received!)

Davida1968 Sat 05-Dec-20 12:15:31

My teenage DGD lives 5000 miles away, so I send her money, via her parents. But I also send her a parcel of small items, which seem to be well received. These have included: lip salves, nice soaps, mini-tissue packs, little storage tins, jewellery ("Bloom Boutique" has some lovely personalised items), good quality chocolate, (always welcomed - and at Christmas some chocolate money), "cute" stationery items, and a (very nice) glasses-case for her sunglasses. Once when we were together, I bought her a "ring storage tree" (which she chose) because she has a selection of different rings.

Quizzer Sat 05-Dec-20 12:18:51

Sorry Notspaghetti, not Lush unless you know someone actually likes it.
I and all the females in our family think their stuff is foul! We all have different tastes and Lush is a bit marmite.

Bazza Sat 05-Dec-20 12:19:40

I have a granddaughter of that age who I’m very close to, but her tastes change on a weekly basis, so I still don’t know what to buy her. Although cash or an Amazon voucher may seem like a cop out, they have often turned out to be her favourite present. I would advise strongly against choosing something yourself that you would think she would like.

Alioop Sat 05-Dec-20 12:28:24

A "one for all" gift card can be used at loads of different places. She can buy clothes, music or could even go for a meal with a friend with it. I've bought my dog groomer a box of chocolates & attached one of these cards to it. They are handy as a gift.

Whatdayisit Sat 05-Dec-20 12:29:29

I think you were pushing the right buttons with an Amazon voucher it's thoughtful enough for the relationship don't overthink.
So many kids are fussy or fet so much it doesnt get touched.
And Amazon are not going to go bust that's for certain. And we are still in the pandemic so girls going out shopping isn't really the thing atm. Sometimes Amazon is the best option.

BlueBelle Sat 05-Dec-20 12:54:49

Oh don’t buy a present for a teen you know very little about and don’t know what her likes and dislikes are I have five teen girls, grandkids and would not know what their latest likes colours or dislikes are even though we are close (nor the boys without guidance from their mums)
I recently saw a lovely teen make up set, sent a picture to one granddaughter to ask if her cousin would like it as a present she messaged back it’s lovely but she wouldn’t wear that colour
So it’s definitely money for me I always ask and they either give me an idea of something or most say please could I have money
With money she could save it for a bigger item or put it towards something she wants to do with friends (we will get back to doing things especially outdoor things) or even some travel when we are back to moving around again
Money is always appreciated unless they are a very rich teen

queenofsaanich69 Sat 05-Dec-20 13:41:55

I know what you mean,something to open,eye make up pallet,
pale nail polish,teen magazines,does she have pierced ears ?
Earrings or the good standby chocolates in a pretty tin then at least she can use the tin,fun socs or a small change purse ?
Good luck and Happy Christmas.

Paperbackwriter Sat 05-Dec-20 14:00:54

I bought some bath bombs via Not on the High Street.com - they come in a little bag with the recipient's name on it. Just type in 'personalised bath bombs' on the site. She can then use the little bag later after she's bombed her bath to put stuff in.

kathyd Sat 05-Dec-20 14:13:33

Lush uses palm oil in their products.
The Friendly Soap company doesn't and their products are good.

SpringyChicken Sat 05-Dec-20 14:17:22

My great nieces are always pleased with cash, in a money wallet from Card Factory ( 7 for £1). They love going into the sales after Christmas with their friends to spend it. Their mother says they prefer it to any vouchers because it’s more flexible. I supplement it with a small gift. In previous years, these have included a cheap bag from Shoe Zone, a simple purse, hairbrush for handbags, a trio of nail varnish.