Gransnet forums

Christmas

Teenage girl Christmas present ideas

(67 Posts)
Grandmabatty Wed 02-Dec-20 18:41:07

My ds's partner has a dd who is in her early teens. We don't see them often and this year I've seen her twice. I've asked her mum if an amazon voucher would be ok for Christmas and she replied yes. However I think she was maybe being polite. My ds is useless for ideas. The girl is lovely. She's had a few problems over the years but is always polite and friendly to me and the family when we meet up. I like her a lot although she and her mum don't stay with my ds. Can anyone think of something I could get her that's nicer than a voucher? She dislikes reading and has specific shops for clothes and I know my dd and her mum are organising that side. I'm sure she will be happy with the voucher but it seems impersonal somehow. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

quizqueen Sat 05-Dec-20 14:21:04

Why not just ask the girl what she wants. It's not rocket science!

SuRu Sat 05-Dec-20 16:09:05

If she's "arty", try Hobbycraft's website. I got a really nice case with oil paints, watercolour paints and various bits and bobs for my granddaughter, all packed in a pink steel case.

Lazyriver Sat 05-Dec-20 17:09:43

Perhaps a 'zen' colouring book for adults with some fine felt tips. My daughters both enjoyed this kind of stress buster. My GD is in her early teens and does too.
Actually quite like them myself!

Rosy2 Sat 05-Dec-20 17:22:02

I’ve just bought my 14 year old granddaughter a diffuser with oils which apparently are every young girls wish! I’m assured she will love it for her room perhaps.

MoreThanGrand Sat 05-Dec-20 19:30:30

What about a gift certificate to a local spa or some pampering supplies from Boots--sheet face masks, a special hair wrap, glitzy nail polishes? Or a voucher for yoga classes?

tinaf1 Sat 05-Dec-20 19:37:29

Amazon do a nice metal make up box organizer with a mirror and pull out drawers to store stuff. It’s called Joligrace (sorry no good at links)
Bought both my granddaughters one when it was their birthdays they seemed to go down well

Tanjamaltija Sat 05-Dec-20 20:16:29

Get her a voucher but put it in a nice container - a wooden box, a mug, a purse...

Grandma11 Sat 05-Dec-20 20:22:46

My 13yr old DG loves Pandora products, and requested the basic Bracelet for her Special first Teenager Birthday. She now asks family members to choose a charm from their Catalogue to add to it for her Christmas or Birthday present, so this year I have bought her The Queen Bee, which either personality perfectly, she's a born leader and very confident in any task she's given. At least this gives her a keepsake for the future, and something of value, as it will hold its price somewhat from the precious metals used in its manufacture.

BabyLayla Sat 05-Dec-20 20:54:05

Is she arty at all, there is a subscription art box called scrawly. They also sell at a reduced cost previous boxes as a one off.
I’ve bought one for my granddaughter 14 as a little present to open on the day.
She will get some money to save alongside.

Teacheranne Sat 05-Dec-20 22:00:02

Interesting that quite a few people are suggesting bath bombs. I’m not sure many teenage girls have baths anymore, most I know have a shower! When my daughter left for Uni, I founds loads of bath products unopened in her bedroom, although there was a proper bath, she always had a shower!

Grannynannywanny Sat 05-Dec-20 22:21:04

My granddaughter showers all week but loves a soak in the bath on weekends. Especially if she has bath bombs.

Grandmabatty Sat 05-Dec-20 22:44:54

Quizqueen did you mean to sound so unpleasant? Thank you again everyone for many interesting ideas. I have a couple in mind which I'll run past her mum.

Callistemon Sat 05-Dec-20 23:05:04

It's difficult for any of us to advise as teenage girls are all so different, although they do like what their friends like.

M0nica Sun 06-Dec-20 14:32:47

I agree with Quizqueen . It is family policy for us for everyone to circulate a wish list before the end of November.

It is very much a wish list not a want list, but at least you can find something on it if you are devoid of ideas and saves a lot of hassle.

Grammaretto Fri 11-Dec-20 12:57:00

Thanks for all these ideas folks!
I am still stumped. I used to buy each family a family gift, it was easier than individual ones.
This year it may be something for their puppies plus a box of chocolates.
Last year I carefully chose something for my 12 yr old DGS. I asked him recently if he had liked it and he looked thoughtful and said his little sister had enjoyed it.

Callistemon Fri 11-Dec-20 13:02:10

Grammaretto both diplomatic and very honest!
I'm waiting to see what DGD1 will choose with the money I gave her, then I can wrap it and watch her "surprised face" when/if I see her.