Gransnet forums

Christmas

I’ve done it again...

(57 Posts)
Witzend Thu 03-Dec-20 08:41:42

...hiding presents and being unable to find them, I mean.

A while ago I bought a huge bag of nuts for dh’s stocking (he adores nuts) - can I find them? They’re not with the stash of things I bought later, nor in any of the usual hiding places, either.?

I don’t think he’s found them and eaten them on the quiet, either!

Hawera1 Sun 06-Dec-20 07:23:52

I have a safe place and when I find it there will be so many gifts. Never found it yet though lol

Doug1 Sat 05-Dec-20 22:44:26

I have six children and when they were little would buy them all 1 of the same think (selection box for instance). They were all put into their pile of presents (They didn't read the labels) only to find on Xmas day they someone had 2 and someone had none. Either an accident whilst wrapping or mum having had 1 too many wines while dishing out the presents. Who is to know?

ginny Sat 05-Dec-20 22:07:38

To make ! We were not naked?

ginny Sat 05-Dec-20 22:06:52

2 years ago my sister in law and I went to a class to naked fused glass Christmas ornaments.
They had to be fired so, were delivered to my house a week or so later.
Mine went on my tree and hers were safer put away as we were unable to see her before Christmas.
Last year I could not find hers anywhere but even more odd was that I couldn’t find mine either.
Decorations will go up next week so I’m hoping they will all mysteriously turn up .

MamaCaz Sat 05-Dec-20 18:30:55

As adults, my two DSs have described how they searched our boats (they grew up on the canals) from top to bottom one year, when they were about 8 & 10, in search of their presents. They had given up, but then one accidently kicked a suitcase and realized it was harder than expected ... .
They've only told me this in recent years, and I didn't suspect a thing at the time. They obviously inherited my slyness grin

MamaCaz Sat 05-Dec-20 18:24:37

Or I am/was simply more self-centred than your DS! ?

MamaCaz Sat 05-Dec-20 18:22:44

V3ra Perhaps I wasn't as bad as I thought - it never crossed my mind to sneak a peek at anyone else's presents grin

V3ra Sat 05-Dec-20 18:14:21

MamaCaz one year my son couldn't bear the suspense and tore a corner of the wrapping paper off all his presents under the tree.
Trouble was he got carried away and tore a corner off everyone else's presents as well!

MamaCaz Sat 05-Dec-20 17:22:41

elleks

My sister and I must have been exceptionally good children; Mum would say "don't go in my wardrobe, the Christmas presents are there" and we never did!

And I must have been exceptionally bad.

At around nine years old, I remember searching for Christmas presents, and finding them hidden in a large blanket box.
I sneakily opened the corner of at least one (the one I still remember was a child's tapestry of a girl on a horse going over a jump). I never let on, and was still just as delighted to receive the said gift on Christmas day.

Since then, I have realized that I prefer to know in advance what is going to happen, whether good or bad. That way, I adjust my expectations accordingly and am less likely to be disappointed. It's just the way I am, and hopefully doesn't make me a bad person! sad

GreenGran78 Sat 05-Dec-20 17:06:17

Once there were no more children sneaking around, searching for their presents, I always stored any early purchases in my wardrobe. I had bought a copy of Terry Pratchett’s book ‘Pyramids’ for my son. When I went to get it out, ready for his birthday, it had vanished. I had to buy another copy. That was about 12 years ago, and the book has never reappeared. They say that pyramids have magical powers!

elleks Sat 05-Dec-20 15:56:06

My sister and I must have been exceptionally good children; Mum would say "don't go in my wardrobe, the Christmas presents are there" and we never did!

Alioop Sat 05-Dec-20 15:16:04

My mum used to give us presents in January that she had found after Xmas and it was a lovely surprise. In my teenage years I was off school sick and found mum's hidden presents. There was two Xmas annuals, Jackie & Oh Boy. I sneakily read the Oh Boy under my sickly bed covers and told my mum I'd prefer the Jackie annual if possible for Xmas and my sister received the Oh Boy annual that year lol.

DotMH1901 Sat 05-Dec-20 15:09:42

We have a selection of birthday and Christmas cards bought and lost and then found again and lost again! Still, it keeps someone in a job manufacturing them I suppose!

NanaDH Sat 05-Dec-20 13:48:59

PS just found the sparklers for bonfire night 2019 ?

NanaDH Sat 05-Dec-20 13:45:49

My family are use to receiving presents when they have eventually been found! This means they get little gifts, whenever the present turns up. They love ❤️ this

Riggie Sat 05-Dec-20 13:16:10

I have a tip. Write a note in your diary saying where it is for a couple of weeks before you need to give the gift!

It's about the only organised thing I do!!

marpau Sat 05-Dec-20 12:54:03

My SIL had 4 children she used to store Christmas presents at MIL house. One year being helpful her DM wrapped all the presents which SIL picked up late on Christmas eve as she laid them under the tree she realized MIL had not put on any gift tags it added a new dimension to Christmas morning!

ReadyMeals Sat 05-Dec-20 12:23:08

Ashcombe

My darling late Mum always claimed that mislaid items were always in the last place you looked!

Well this is obviously its own truth - since you would stop looking once you found them, automatically making the place they were in the last place you looked!

GrannySomerset Sat 05-Dec-20 12:18:52

Not quite the same but we remember the year when DD, DSiL and DGD1 aged about 4 arrived for Christmas, only to discover that DGD’s Christmas stocking and contents had been left behind. Fortunately I was able to provide both a suitable stocking and things to fill it and so far as DGD was concerned Father Christmas had done his thing. An occasion when being an over enthusiastic granny paid off!

Pap67 Sat 05-Dec-20 12:09:45

I’ve had a little sign made, it reads
“Nanny’s Nook” aka safe place of things I’ve lost!!
I put everything in this little cubby hole!!... a real life saver!!!

Kate1949 Sat 05-Dec-20 12:06:59

I would imagine my friend was looking everywhere for her scissors last year. She had wrapped them up with my present! She lives in another party of the country so I couldn't pop them round to her.

jaylucy Sat 05-Dec-20 12:06:14

Stop looking and it's s**s law they'll turn up !
Personally I think that every house has an elf that hides things just for fun and when they can see you have got bored and given up looking, they put them back where they were in the first place!

Aepgirl Sat 05-Dec-20 12:02:43

I’ll look in all my hidey places for you. Perhaps they have got there - oh no, I can’t remember where those places are now!!

Sueki44 Sat 05-Dec-20 12:00:26

That’s a lovely story Nanagem!
My Mother once wrote all of her Christmas cards early, put them somewhere’safe’ and they were never found again. Even when the house was finally sold, they never turned up,

Nanna58 Sat 05-Dec-20 11:48:29

Be at your Witzend no more OP , simply unleash a squirrel in your house and all will be revealed!!!!!!