Gransnet forums

Christmas

Boxing Day opening!

(48 Posts)
PollyDolly Fri 11-Dec-20 16:11:17

I'm not sure if there's another thread on this subject, but here goes.
The major supermarkets are intent on opening on Boxing Day! Why?????
It's been a dreadful year for us all but particularly difficult for anyone having to go to work; shelf stackers, order pickers, checkout operators and counter staff cannot work from home! Don't they deserve that extra day off?
Will the country grind to a halt because the supermarkets close for one more day?
I intend to boycott any form of shopping on Boxing Day and I'm curious to know what GNetters feel about shop workers only getting one day off!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:14:41

Asda have already announced they will not be opening on Boxing Day and I think others are going to be joining them.

crazyH Fri 11-Dec-20 16:15:59

If they do, I hope they are paid very, very, very well...not just double time but quadruple ..I’m sure there will be some workers who will be glad of the extra money .

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 16:20:53

Aldi are usually closed Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, quite right too. Why shouldn’t the staff have time at home, we won’t starve.

Mapleleaf Fri 11-Dec-20 16:20:59

Well I certainly do not plan to go supermarket shopping (or any other shopping) on Boxing Day. I’m glad to see that ASDA will not be opening that day and I hope the other supermarkets follow suit. The workers deserve some time off to draw breath, and we don’t need to shop for foodstuffs on Boxing Day.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Dec-20 16:25:21

Aldi, John Lewis and Home Bargains will be shut too.

Witzend Fri 11-Dec-20 16:29:50

The very last thing I want to do on any Boxing Day is to go shopping.
It’s about the last thing I want to do for several days after Christmas, come to that.

crazyH Fri 11-Dec-20 16:34:44

I have a couple of sparkly tops and trousers - which comes out in cycles ?

crazyH Fri 11-Dec-20 16:36:24

Sorry, wrong thread ??

PollyDolly Fri 11-Dec-20 16:46:52

crazyH

I have a couple of sparkly tops and trousers - which comes out in cycles ?

??? I conjured up an image of your clothes riding little bicycles around your house!

Lexisgranny Fri 11-Dec-20 17:03:58

I have never understood why, when supermarkets are normally heaving round the clock, during the week before Christmas. it is necessary to do another shop on Boxing Day. In our home we are normally eating variations of the festive table for days after Christmas- curried sprouts anyone? Come to think of it that probably reflects on my ability to cater in core to amounts, than anything else!

Give the shop workers a well earned rest, they worked so hard for us, surely they deserve it?

Galaxy Fri 11-Dec-20 17:12:48

I have just been in the post office/local shop I saw some staff who were obviously pushed to the edges of coping, yet still polite and helpful. They need a break.

avitorl Fri 11-Dec-20 17:20:10

I think they should be closed every year and especially this year.There really should be no need for them to open on Boxing Day.

AGAA4 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:21:10

I don't think shops should open on Boxing Day any year but especially this year.

quizqueen Fri 11-Dec-20 17:31:38

The bakers would have to work late evening and overnight on Christmas Day and that's not right. Do people not have fridge/freezers to cope for 2 days! If everyone boycotted the supermarkets on Boxing Day, they wouldn't open the next year. People power is what determines shopping ethics.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:32:26

There is no need for supermarkets or any other shops to be open on bank holidays. Or Sundays. Many countries in Europe do not have these sort of US style opening times.
If they are open late most nights there is no reason for them to be open on Sundays.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:35:44

Could someone more au fait onlinery start one of these petitions...

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:37:52

Polly dolly?

Calendargirl Fri 11-Dec-20 17:42:33

A local convenience store, part of a large chain, when interviewed,says it is still undecided, but said the staff are volunteers, obviously paid well to work that day, and prefer to have either Christmas Eve or New Year off in lieu.

Sarnia Fri 11-Dec-20 17:49:30

M&S in the shopping mall will be closed on Boxing Day. In these days of fridges, freezers etc surely we can manage. I never went food shopping every day even when I had my 5 children at home. Too expensive.

PollyDolly Fri 11-Dec-20 18:26:47

silverlining48

Polly dolly?

Sorry, I wouldn't have a clue where to start! But judging by the comments on this thread not many GNetters will be gracing the supermarket aisles on Boxing Day ???

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 18:34:35

Me too polly. I coukdnt even put a clip into my post like you did. I have a lot to learn....

Septimia Fri 11-Dec-20 18:39:58

I can't see why supermarkets need to open on Boxing Day. Very few people will want to shop, surely?

It's an opportunity for corner shops to open, albeit for a brief time, to serve those people who do not celebrate Christmas or are in dire need of essential items.

Supermarket staff deserve some time off too.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 19:28:13

I had a quick look online and over the last few years there have been a number of petitions to make shops close on Boxing Day.
It’s seems from a response by government that it’s up to the individual supermarket management to decide to follow the lead of those who have the decency to give their staff a day off given the hard and risky work they have all done over the last year. I feel an email to Tesco and Sainsbury coming on.

ginny Fri 11-Dec-20 19:30:06

I can see no need for any shops to open on Boxing Day.