Gransnet forums

Christmas

Boxing Day opening!

(49 Posts)
PollyDolly Fri 11-Dec-20 16:11:17

I'm not sure if there's another thread on this subject, but here goes.
The major supermarkets are intent on opening on Boxing Day! Why?????
It's been a dreadful year for us all but particularly difficult for anyone having to go to work; shelf stackers, order pickers, checkout operators and counter staff cannot work from home! Don't they deserve that extra day off?
Will the country grind to a halt because the supermarkets close for one more day?
I intend to boycott any form of shopping on Boxing Day and I'm curious to know what GNetters feel about shop workers only getting one day off!

Smileless2012 Fri 11-Dec-20 19:38:52

When we had our retail business we never opened on Sundays or any bank holidays.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 19:58:55

Quite right Smileless and I am sure your employees appreciated it.
I am so cross about it I have just googled and emailed Simon Roberts the new Sainsbury CEO asking that he close on Boxing Day. Not sure if I should give his email...but easy to find on google. I mentioned no doubt he would be home with his family .....

Lizbethann55 Sat 12-Dec-20 23:39:12

I think quite a few shops have said they will not open on Boxing Day , and not just supermarkets. Personally, I don't think any shops should ever open on Boxing Day, unless it is the shop owners who decide to do so and be the ones working there. I know some shop staff might want or need the extra money but I suspect far far more would appreciate an extra holiday, especially as most shop workers are women and so can seldom call Christmas Day a peaceful day off!!

Ailsa43 Sun 13-Dec-20 00:23:15

What about front-line workers who are working usually without a day off in the run up to and including Christmas day?.. don't they deserve to be able to shop on Boxing day if they need ?..it may be the only day they get off and a chance to get to a supermarket or non essential store...

nanny2507 Sun 13-Dec-20 00:33:16

shop workers really deserve an extra day off. They have been ONE of the backbones of the country while this blasted virus has been about. I am a shop worker however in a totally different line of business and i have been furloughed (extremely vulnerable) and our shop is shut for 2 weeks over xmas.

nanny2507 Sun 13-Dec-20 00:35:10

silverlining good for you . You are right. he will be at home counting the profits

mokryna Sun 13-Dec-20 00:56:06

Do you remember when shops didn’t open on Boxing Day?Some years that meant shops closed Saturday 5.30pm and didn’t open until Wednesday at 9 am, not forgetting, in my area Wednesday was half day only. However there was no Bank Holiday 1st January so they were open as were the offices.

Situpstraight2 Sun 13-Dec-20 07:24:12

Some people want to work on Boxing Day so that they can take their own religious holidays off,( using the days of in lieu) not everyone celebrates Christmas.

tanith Sun 13-Dec-20 07:36:08

Poundland are closing Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, the staff have worked all through lockdowns as they now sell food and frozen food. They’ve also given their staff an extra weeks holiday to thank them.

Greenfinch Sun 13-Dec-20 07:41:31

Good for them ! Well done Poundland.

Blencathra Sun 13-Dec-20 07:45:23

No need for shopping on Boxing Day. Retail staff should be relaxing at home.

silverlining48 Sun 13-Dec-20 17:44:17

Just in case others are going to write the email I sent Simon Robert CEO Sainsbury on their website has been returned by Daemon as non deliverable. Curious.

GagaJo Sun 13-Dec-20 18:29:33

No, silverlining, shops don't open on Sundays on the continent and it is REALLY annoying. I often work Mon to Sat and it's infuriating that on my one day off I can't get what I need from the shops.

silverlining48 Sun 13-Dec-20 18:45:05

Yes I know shops are usually closed in Europe on Sundays gaga as we’re ours not so very long ago.
Thing is our supermarkets are open late every night so there shouldn’t be a problem about getting shopping. I don’t shop on Sundays anyway, but this post is about closing on Boxing Day to give staff a break and a reward for their hard work this year.

silverlining48 Sun 13-Dec-20 18:45:54

were ours...predictive typo !

lemongrove Sun 13-Dec-20 19:00:26

Sunday opening has been very good for many people, I wouldn’t want that to change.
Boxing Day is another thing altogether, we can all do without shopping for two days at Christmas.There will always be some corner shops open ( up to them) but supermarkets could all close.I think the Co-op always closes.

Daisend1 Sun 13-Dec-20 19:16:15

Ginny
So you see no need for shops to open on Boxing day ?
I have no issue with shops opening on Boxing day. We don't know peoples circumstances that prevents them from shopping in the days leading up to xmas possibly as fortunate as yourself.? A friend works in the hospitality business and relies on Boxing day to shop after a non stop hectic time of year in the lead up to and including xmas day.Spare a thought for those who have to work so others can enjoy xmas.

Lizbethann55 Sun 13-Dec-20 21:39:14

Daisend1 I think this post is more in sympathy with those shop staff who work themselves into the ground on the run up to Christmas and therefore deserve and have earned an extra day off rather than have to get up at the crack of dawn on Boxing Day to cater for those who see "doing the sales" as even more important than Christmas Day itself. Personally I would like to see all shops shut on Boxing Day.

lemongrove Sun 13-Dec-20 21:39:26

Wouldn't she prefer to chill out at home though Daisy ?
So many people have shopping delivered, there is no need to go into a supermarket either before or after Christmas.
We have come late to the party ( having shopping delivered)
I started it only a year ago, when DH was very ill, and continued it as Covid struck.Our AC have been having shopping delivered for years.

Blossoming Sun 13-Dec-20 22:12:03

I’ve never been shopping on Boxing Day.

cornergran Sun 13-Dec-20 23:17:49

With a close family member required to work in non-food retail (yes, required in spite of many retailers saying Boxing Day working is voluntary) on Christmas Eve, Boxing Day and 27th I’m both sad and very angry on her behalf. We’ve seen the impact of retail pressure for many years when her husband began his supermarket career. Leaving late on Christmas Eve because of the need to reorganise the store ready for 26th. Called in to a store on Christmas Day, invariably as soon as the meal was ready, because of a break in or a freezer alarm, often a malfunction. Off to work again early on 26th. This year he has two days off, just as well as his wife will have very little. In case you wondered, no I never shop on Boxing Day. Of course many other workers in truly essential occupations will be working , in my view retail does not come into this category, surely we can cope without shopping for two days. I know this sounds cross, that’s because I am.

goose1964 Tue 15-Dec-20 13:34:45

As my husband keeps reminding me Boxing Dr is on Monday this year. I think th supermarkets mean the 26th and quite a few will be closex

Daisymae Tue 15-Dec-20 15:14:23

They would be doing everyone a favour if they were to stay closed. No one would starve.