Gransnet forums

Christmas

Mulled wine

(46 Posts)
PollyDolly Wed 16-Dec-20 11:14:45

I was thinking about mulled wine earlier today; I've always bought a bottle of pre-made to be honest, for convenience. Do you do the same or make your own? It would be lovely to read some variances on the recipes too!

LauraNorder Sat 19-Dec-20 10:16:04

I have made my own and bought the ready made too. Best one ever was from IKEA a few years ago £1 a bottle, worst was last years offering from Lidl which ended up in the garden fly catchers in July.

Aepgirl Sat 19-Dec-20 10:29:03

Give me a G&T or Jack and Ginger any day, rather than mulled wine.

missdeke Sat 19-Dec-20 10:44:09

A nice alternative for teetotallers and children is Finnish Hot Berry Juice, same brown sugar, types of spices, orange etc but use berry juice, cranberry, blackcurrent, blueberry etc. instead of wine. Delicious!

Yangste1007 Sat 19-Dec-20 10:49:09

Yes, Jamie Oliver recipe. Easy, can be mostly done in advance and delicious.

Nanof3 Sat 19-Dec-20 10:50:13

Anything with cloves reminds me of the dentist, so no thanks.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Dec-20 10:56:50

Aepgirl

Give me a G&T or Jack and Ginger any day, rather than mulled wine.

Have you tried the new flavoured Jack Daniels?
There's honey, cinnamon and apple.
I'm not that keen on the cinnamon one, like the honey one (which surprise me) and haven't tried the apple yet.

MagicWand Sat 19-Dec-20 11:27:17

Mulled cider for choice for me but thanks for the mulled apple/fruit juice tip as I'm off alcohol at the mo.
I buy mulling syrup as it simplifies the whole process, is useful for spur of the moment warming drinks and can be used for wine, cider or fruit juice.

FannyCornforth Sat 19-Dec-20 11:35:10

I've just remembered that I used to make my own Baileys!
It's amazing! tchsmile

beverly10 Sat 19-Dec-20 12:07:03

My favourite is from Lidl but always add a tot or two of brandy before heating it up.This together with brandy butter melting over hot mince pies is what I call xmastchwink

Albangirl14 Sat 19-Dec-20 12:07:21

I make my own that way I can leave out Cloves which taste of the dentist to me. My other tip would buy a fruity Red Wine not oaked .

beverly10 Sat 19-Dec-20 12:19:36

LauraNorder
You were just unlucky.I have bought Lidl mulled from across the 'water' and in the UK. It beats the more expensive ones.

Happysexagenarian Sat 19-Dec-20 13:00:50

Nansnet Your recipe is pretty much the same as mine, minus the star anise. I found it in my GM cookery book. Over the years I have 'improved' on it a little with a (generous) splash of brandy or rum. It smells wonderful, tastes delicious and packs a punch - perfick!

kwest Sat 19-Dec-20 13:17:54

Filthy stuff!

Gramps47 Sat 19-Dec-20 14:08:50

Great recipe here:
www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/jamie-s-mulled-wine/

BlueRuby Sat 19-Dec-20 14:15:05

Not a fan of mulled wine, but I do make several different flavoured gins for Christmas. I always make raspberry gin, and this year I have also made blackberry gin and seville orange gin! I start them off in October or November and then they are ready to filter, decant and put in pretty bottles for Christmas. Several of my friends bring their own pretty bottles and get flavoured gin for Christmas :-) I usually make sloe gin, but didn't this year. Other half had a serious stroke and can't be left alone, so mooching along country paths and through woodlands was off the menu this year.

EmilyHarburn Sat 19-Dec-20 14:55:17

I buy mulled wine and some ginger wine. I put the mulled wine in a Pyrex jug for a few minutes in the microwave - you do not want it to boil. And then add it to each persons glass with a little tot of ginger wine in the glass first if the person wants it. Marvelous. Any mulled wine left over makes excellent liquid for a slow cooker meat dish i.e. pork shoulder steaks, packet of chopped mixed peppers and mulled wine. Serve with rice or baked potatoes.

JackyB Sat 19-Dec-20 17:07:36

I live in a wine growing area and wine is cheap. German supermarkets do sell little bags, like teabags, of a spice mix which you just infuse in the warm wine.

My method, when I'm only making it for the two of us, is to cut up an orange, a lemon, or any other citrus fruit I have to hand, into fairly thin slices, add a stick of cinnamon and a couple of cloves, pour over about half a litre of good red wine and heat it up in the microwave, on a low wattage to give it time to develop the spicy taste and to prevent it boiling.

I then pour it into the glasses the Germans use for tea (double sided if possible, but mine aren't) and stir in a spoonful of honey.

The mulled wine you get at the Christmas markets (when there are any) is no longer as sweet as they used to make it. I can't comment on the ready made bottles as I don't buy them. Last year some new variations appeared - Hugo (with elderflower, I should think) and other types with a white wine base.

It's so easy to make yourself, I don't see the point of buying the made up stuff.

JackyB Sat 19-Dec-20 17:09:29

Yangste1007

Yes, Jamie Oliver recipe. Easy, can be mostly done in advance and delicious.

Oh yes - forgot those non-alcoholic ones. Also Elderberry - must be the darkest of the juices, and full of vitamin C! Yum.

For the adults a shot of a decent brandy or rum can also be added in my method as described above.

Nannan2 Sun 20-Dec-20 03:40:45

Are they all (both) driving?or would the non driver have welcomed a 'real' mulled wine?.....

JackyB Mon 21-Dec-20 09:04:00

Crikey, I've just looked at the Jamie Oliver recipe. It nearly convinced me, but 200g sugar!?!?!?