Gransnet forums

Christmas

Mulled wine

(45 Posts)
Alioop Sat 19-Dec-20 09:38:16

I make mulled cider too as I don't like red wine. M&S used to do it, but seem to of stopped stocking it so I make my own now and add a little rum for that extra kick lol. It does warm your cockles.

Notsooldat75 Sat 19-Dec-20 09:19:18

I make mulled cider, I can’t drink wine. It’s delicious and a nice change. Got my recipe via Google!

Ellianne Fri 18-Dec-20 17:35:33

Damson and elderberry incase the writing on the label is difficult to read.

Ellianne Fri 18-Dec-20 17:33:45

I got drawn in by the pretty label today. Going to open it in a bit.

Witzend Fri 18-Dec-20 14:13:09

That apple juice sounds delish!
I could just fancy some now...

Mamardoit Fri 18-Dec-20 12:03:35

Thanks for that non alcohol version fiorentina51. I will keep that for another year when family can visit. It will be something festive if they are driving.

We have mulled wine on bonfire night.

fiorentina51 Fri 18-Dec-20 11:38:29

We had a couple of friends over last night. Obviously we were following the rules for social distancing and we spent our time in garden in front of the chimenea plus a fire pit blazing away. Due to the fact that they were driving I made mulled apple juice. Lovely and warming.
I used 2L of 100% pressed juice, sliced half an orange and half a lemon, 5 cinnamon sticks and a heaped teaspoon of mixed spice as I didn't have any cloves. Added a grating of nutmeg and put the lot in a slow cooker for 1.5 hours on high. When I took it outside I turned it down to low so it stayed hot through the night.
Didn't add any sugar.

Witzend Fri 18-Dec-20 11:21:22

I bought 2 bottles in M&S the other day, haven’t tried it yet - one was for a dd.

I’ve often made it, cheap red wine, a stick or 2 of cinnamon, a few slices of orange with cloves stuck in, sugar, water, and a good slug of brandy.
Will def. be making some to go with the Nine Lessons and Carols on Christmas Eve - plus mince pies, of course! Essential beginning of my Christmas.

PollyDolly Thu 17-Dec-20 10:04:43

Nansnet, that recipe sounds delicious but I doubt it would last 3 hours before we were drinking it! ??

Nansnet Thu 17-Dec-20 10:00:09

I've used the sachets of spice before, but yesterday I made my own and it was delicious ...

1 bottle of wine
1 whole orange, peeled and sliced
2 cinnamon sticks
8 cloves
2 star anise
2-4 Tbs honey (depending on your sweetness preferance)

Bring to simmer (don't boil it!), cover with lid, and simmer for 30 mins - 3 hours.

The house smelt amazing!

Vintagegirl Wed 16-Dec-20 11:47:55

Yes fresh orange juice.... make syrup with spices (whole cloves, stick of cinnamon) and infuse flavours for a bit. Add wine and orange later. Alcohol can be evaporated if allowed to simmer (or not!). Float a few thin slices of orange at end. I use a slow cooker to keep at gentle heat and nice to serve from. I have a set of mini glass mugs to go with. I am thinking of having a flask of same if any park meet ups over christmas!

Ellianne Wed 16-Dec-20 11:38:16

Adding a dash of rum enhances the flavour too.

PollyDolly Wed 16-Dec-20 11:35:36

AmberSpyglass

Definitely make my own. The trick is to use clementine juice instead of orange juice, and make sure there’s a healthy dollop of brown sugar in there!

Ooh, I like the sound of that! Thank you for sharing!

Nannan2 Wed 16-Dec-20 11:30:38

Its a shame they only tested 3 bottles& then the home- made one.(tesco own was rubbish apparently) maybe the little 'mulled bags' would be ok though?

AmberSpyglass Wed 16-Dec-20 11:27:37

Definitely make my own. The trick is to use clementine juice instead of orange juice, and make sure there’s a healthy dollop of brown sugar in there!

Nannan2 Wed 16-Dec-20 11:27:26

Saw on the 'how to spend well at christmas' show last night phillip schofield was testing some out! Some not so good & the best a bit pricey for mulled wine- but best was the one homemade by the chef! I would give it a go but his recipe included cranberries, which i cant have as im on warfarin- but any other mulled wine recipes (without cranberry) will be much welcome.Thanks all??

BigBertha1 Wed 16-Dec-20 11:25:25

I dont like mulled wine but DH loves it. He says the bottled ones are awful (wine snob) but I think its smells like Benylin. I think if you like it its better to make it from the spices you like.

FannyCornforth Wed 16-Dec-20 11:25:05

I dislike any type of hot alcohol, even (or maybe especially) the smell is horrible.
Which is a shame because I really like the idea of mulled wine.

Grannynannywanny Wed 16-Dec-20 11:21:12

I noticed in the drinks aisle in Tesco yesterday they are selling little bags of ingredients to make mulled wine containing spices, slices of dried orange etc.

I’d rather have a nip of whisky in hot lemonade and cloves.

PollyDolly Wed 16-Dec-20 11:14:45

I was thinking about mulled wine earlier today; I've always bought a bottle of pre-made to be honest, for convenience. Do you do the same or make your own? It would be lovely to read some variances on the recipes too!