Gransnet forums

Christmas

Giving Christmas presents during pandemic

(36 Posts)
nananet01 Fri 18-Dec-20 22:09:55

Are we likely to spread the virus in giving presents? I'd be interested in individual opinions. Would you buy, leave for a few days, then wrap for example? Would you clean before wrapping? Remove outer packaging?

BusterTank Sat 19-Dec-20 10:39:42

As long as they have been sprayed with disenfectant spray or cleaned with antibacterial wipes , what's the problem .

icanhandthemback Sat 19-Dec-20 11:34:23

Initially, because we didn't know much about transmission of the virus, we were warned to be vigilant. Now we have more data, we know that you are extremely unlikely to spread the virus on things so you do not need to be worried about them in the same way.
I think being overly cautious just weakens the message about how the virus is spread. If you exaggerate the dangers of something that doesn't happen, you get disbelief about stuff that does happen.

Riggie Sat 19-Dec-20 11:54:03

Didnt really think about it. However everything we have bought has not been wrapped for at least a few days. Up to the recipients to decide if they want to quarantine themn further before opening.

LauraNorder Sat 19-Dec-20 12:21:23

We had an early discussion with family and it was decided that we’d put money in parents bank accounts and they’d take care of Christmas.
So many advantages, we saved on delivery charges, then on postage or travel so we’re able to give a bit more. Parents have a better idea of exactly what the kids need or want. The money can be added to parents spend where a more expensive present had been requested. Last but not least no pressure for us. Laziest most chilled out Christmas ever.
If I’d bought presents I’d have probably wiped them down before washing my hands and wrapping them, then I’d have delivered to the doorstep or posted to those further afield where they’d have had to wipe down and keep them for 72 hours!

Nagmad2016 Sat 19-Dec-20 12:27:48

I'm not too worried about the presents, but I did stop and use a letter opener for the cards, thought that a few lickings to seal them may be a problem. I didn't seal my own, just tucked the flap in.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 19-Dec-20 12:35:56

I haven't heard that it is possible to contact the virus from goods or wrapping paper.

You seem to have been told differently in the U.K.

If it worries you, wipe down things that are in a packet, or simply give a gift token instead of an actual present.

If it were possible to become ill from packaging, we would all have done so the first time we went shopping for food.

So no, I just wrap things as per usual.

CassieJ Sat 19-Dec-20 14:07:24

It will be fine. I have never washed or sanitised anything this past year. Letters and parcels are opened as usual. Same for the shopping, it just gets put away.
I wash my hands after shopping, use masks and sanitsier when I am out, but that is it.

AJKW Sat 19-Dec-20 15:35:33

I think the odds on catching the virus are very low, if you do catch it you have a 99.85% chance of survival. Unless you are very elderly and sick. You may also have to be careful if you live with someone who could be considered vulnerable.
Decide which category you belong and be guided by it.
I’m 57, I’m very fit so I don’t worry at all, although I’m happy to wear a mask and sanitise my hands and stay away from the vulnerable, but I’d really like more freedom.

Bluecat Sat 19-Dec-20 17:31:28

We have done all our Christmas shopping online and leave all parcels untouched for several days, to give the virus time to die. Then I wrap them and put them in boxes which will go round to my DD's house in the next couple of days, for them to open on Christmas Day.

They're more worried about us catching it, as we're more vulnerable, so DD wrapped and bagged our gifts some time ago and gave them to us last week. DH washed his hands thoroughly after touching the bags, which are currently sitting in a spare bedroom. She wanted to be certain that they would be safe for us to handle on Christmas Day.

Although person to person contact has the highest risk, you can't dismiss surface contamination. A study done during Spain's lock down highlighted disinfecting groceries as the main behaviour difference between those who did or didn't get infected. (Bearing in mind, of course, that they weren't looking at direct contact, as it was during a strict lock down.)

Better safe than sorry.

SueDonim Sat 19-Dec-20 23:38:41

Nagmad2016

I'm not too worried about the presents, but I did stop and use a letter opener for the cards, thought that a few lickings to seal them may be a problem. I didn't seal my own, just tucked the flap in.

Our post office always tells us to seal envelopes and not simply tuck the flap in as the edges can get caught in modern machinery.

I’d say that that’s about right as we’ve had a few unsealed envelopes this month and some of them have been quite mangled and torn.