Gransnet forums

Christmas

16 pigs in blankets, just for me and dh!

(37 Posts)
Witzend Thu 24-Dec-20 23:31:12

Will that be enough, do you think? tchgrin

Anyway, off to bed now - it’s half past eleven and I need to get to sleep before Father Christmas comes.
Happy Christmas, everybody! ????

Alishka Sat 26-Dec-20 13:11:49

@Grannynanny aww, love that!

Marydoll Sat 26-Dec-20 14:23:15

Rufus, it could also be a regional thing. In all the supermarkets, the packs are labelled, Pigs in Blankets.
However, it's always good to learn new things about your own culture, even at my age. wink

Rufus2 Sun 27-Dec-20 04:25:10

it's always good to learn new things about your own culture, even at my age. wink

www.julieolive.co.uk/2018/12/28/pigs-in-blankets-or-kilted-soldiers-in-scotland
Marydoll Believe it or not, I'm too much of a gentleman to ask what that age might be, but if you have no objection to being teached by a Sassenach, then the above URL might just broaden your culture that bit further.
No matter where (and when!) you travel o/seas again, you'll always have a conversation-starter in your phrase book. tchgrin
Actually, having just finished watching the 3 part "Blood on the Clans" I'm surprised "kilted soldiers" weren't part of "iron rations" for all those burly Clansmen as they charged about Scotland looting and pillaging etc. Nothing regional about that! tchshock
Neil Oliver was the programme host (he's good), as translator! (Sorry about that! shades of Taggart again!)
Keep Well,
Good Health wine
OoRoo

CanadianGran Sun 27-Dec-20 06:20:36

I have never seen a 'pig in blanket' here. When I looked them up google shows me a version of a sausage roll, except with a cocktail wiener instead of sausage.

When I google 'pigs in blankets UK' I see a totally different snack. Good lord... cholesterol packets! Look yummy though!

I think the closest thing we have is bacon wrapped scallops, but of coarse anything wrapped in bacon is delicious!
Enjoy, but perhaps wash down with some red wine, known to help with cholesterol grin

Rufus2 Sun 27-Dec-20 06:59:25

I have never seen a 'pig in blanket' here
CanadianGran It's a Scottish thing!
Have a look here.

www.julieolive.co.uk/2018/12/28/pigs-in-blankets-or-kilted-soldiers-in-scotland.

What part are you from?
Cheers wine

Witzend Sun 27-Dec-20 08:13:51

Mine aren’t cholesterol packets, @CanadianGran, since I make them myself with best quality, minimum fat sausages. And they’re then roasted so that most of the fat is gone from the streaky bacon anyway.

Marydoll Sun 27-Dec-20 09:15:18

Rufus, I'm always happy to learn about my own culture, from someone as knowledgeable as you. The information you have provided can indeed be found on Google, other search engines are available. However, has it occurred to you that the information may perhaps have been planted by sassenachs? wink

For your own info, I've included a screenshot of Tesco's website, where there is no mention of kilted soldiers, only pigs in blankets. I then searched for kilted soldiers on Morrisons website, another national supermarket. No joy!
No- one here would even know what I was asking for if I went into a butcher's and asked for kilted soldiers. However, that doesn't mean that somewhere in Scotland, one of my compatriots isn't raking in their fridge for left over kilted soldiers for breakfast! ?

Peace and joy in your life for the coming year Rufus. Slainthe!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 27-Dec-20 11:39:12

I'm curious: When did you start calling them pigs in blankets and having them at Christmas?

We called the sausage rolls and had them at the New Year.

MawBe Sun 27-Dec-20 11:41:15

Sausage rolls are something else. Pigs in blankets are sausages wrapped in bacon and roasted or grilled to be served with the turkey.

MawBe Sun 27-Dec-20 11:48:02

Just Julie
A Malaysian lost in Britain

With all due respect to the author (see above) of the website Rufus has linked to, I see no mention of Scotland in her background or culinary experience.
I too had never heard of “Kilted soldiers”, “soldiers” to me are fingers of toast which you dip into a soft-boiled egg.

I am Malaysian Chinese born in a little kampung (village) called Menglembu in Perak; grew up in Kuching Sarawak; lived in Kuala Lumpur, Petaling Jaya and Ipoh. I now reside permanently in the county of Hertfordshire in the UK. I have been here for nearly two decades now, married to a British husband

Witzend Wed 30-Dec-20 09:43:15

They used to be called just bacon-wrapped sausages - we had them with Christmas dinner when I was a child in the 50s and 60s, so not a new thing, except for the name.,