Gransnet forums

Christmas

Cadbury's Roses Rant

(47 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 26-Dec-20 08:49:47

What's happened to the coffee creams? They were my favourites and they are no more! Also don't like the way the chocolates are all wrapped the same now albeit in different coloured wrappers. They used to be identifiable by their individual wrappers, especially the purple ones that everybody likes and the green triangles. Given they've now got the names printed on them so you don't have to refer to the little chart which I quite liked doing actually. Finally, I know they've been in a plastic tub for years, but I preferred the tin. Not going to buy them any more - too disappointing.

Ashcombe Sat 26-Dec-20 13:04:59

FannyCornforth: another vote for Lindt Lindor here, having first tasted them when received from a pupil back in the day!

SuzannahM Sat 26-Dec-20 13:15:01

I remember a long time ago someone I worked with slipping a Lindt Lindor into my hand as she passed me and whispering 'everyone must have one of these...they are truly orgasmic'.

Have to say I agree with her grin

NotTooOld Sat 26-Dec-20 13:27:39

Talking of chocs not tasting the same, dh and I treated ourselves to a Terry's chocolate orange for Christmas. We cracked it open yesterday and were very disappointed. It has turned much too sweet and also gritty in a strange sort of way.
sad sad Has anyone else noticed?

BlueSapphire Sat 26-Dec-20 13:30:07

I miss the coffee creams too.
I absolutely detest the Purple ones in QS...

Willow500 Sat 26-Dec-20 13:41:32

I only bought the tin of Roses for the Emma Bridgewater tin and was also surprised at the new wrappers. Hasn't stopped us eating them but they're not the same any more.

I used to love the lime barrel in Dairy Box and also the coffee creams wherever they were but can't help thinking no chocolate is the same as it was when I was a child sad Whatever happened to Lucky Numbers, the Cadbury's sandwich bars with milk and dark layers and one bar I used to love which was all three chocolate layers but can't remember it's name? I loved lying on my bed reading and eating them - little wonder I ended up with gall stones at 24!!

Rosina Sat 26-Dec-20 13:46:09

I was given an 'Emma Bridgewater' tin of Roses - similar to the traditional tin but with a fancier shape - and we were disappointed too with the wrappers; they seem to be plasticky in feel, and I suspect the new bigger wrappers mean less chocolates.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Dec-20 14:34:23

Oh Willow, I too remember the sandwich bars of chocolate. They were delicious. Also the Fry’s 5 Boys.

And the Cadbury bars, thin little ones of different sizes, think they started off as one(old) penny, then two penny ones, and then the bigger ones, were they sixpence and a shilling?

Oh, happy days!

icanhandthemback Sat 26-Dec-20 14:46:29

I was really disappointed in the Quality Street and Roses this year. All the decent toffees reduced or gone. I’m sticking with Lindt and Toffifee in future.

Blinko Sat 26-Dec-20 14:51:58

Lindt or Hotel Chocolat for me. I believe that QS and Roses are produced to American standards. Anyone tried a Hershey bar? Total rubbish!

GeorgyGirl Sat 26-Dec-20 15:00:20

I used to love Weekend candies and chocolates many moons ago.

SpringyChicken Sat 26-Dec-20 15:13:17

They have become cheaper per 100g over the years - something had to give.

Dragonella Fri 26-Feb-21 16:36:02

NotTooOld

Talking of chocs not tasting the same, dh and I treated ourselves to a Terry's chocolate orange for Christmas. We cracked it open yesterday and were very disappointed. It has turned much too sweet and also gritty in a strange sort of way.

I wonder if you had a different one from their range, perhaps the Toffee Crunch version? It's probably best if you get another one, just to check. For science.

honeyrose Fri 26-Feb-21 18:05:31

Lindt Lindor for me too - absolute perfection! I’m not buying any at the moment as too moreish. Best chocolate ever.

Sara1954 Fri 26-Feb-21 18:37:00

I agree, they are not what they used to be, and about a third of the size!
Lindt are amazing, we live close to one of their shops, and I’m afraid my granddaughter and I were rather extravagant at Christmas.
They were lovely, but I’m really glad they’ve all been eaten now.

H1954 Fri 26-Feb-21 18:46:00

I need chocolate now! Wonder where the OH hides his Whole Nut?

MamaCaz Fri 26-Feb-21 18:50:18

NotTooOld

I must have misunderstood. I read this as you have only just eaten some chocolate that has been in your house since Christmas
Surely that's just impossible? ? ?

MamaCaz Fri 26-Feb-21 18:52:53

If anyone else has unwanted chocolate in their house, I am happy to provide the address of a free, environmentally-friendly disposal service! ?

bikergran Fri 26-Feb-21 18:59:15

Asda sold them in tins at Christmas think £8

Jane43 Fri 26-Feb-21 19:08:33

FannyCornforth

lemsip have you tried Lindt Lindor?
They're gorgeous. A bit like Ferrero but without the coating and the nuts, and even nicer. Sooo melty...
And I'm not even a fan of chocolate!

The world would be a sad place if we couldn’t have a few light-hearted posts. DH loves Lindor chocolates but when he bought some at Christmas we both independently thought they tasted horrible. They were in date but the consistency of the chocolate coating was horrible, they must have changed the recipe in some way.

Sara1954 Fri 26-Feb-21 19:22:45

Jane
I have to say, although I still managed to eat a lot, that they seemed runnier than usual, and the outside softer, but as a I said, it didn’t spoil my enjoyment.

Hellogirl1 Sat 15-May-21 20:51:15

At the back of one of my cupboards, I found a QS tin from late 70s or very early 80s, compared to the present ones, it`s massive! And it`s tin, not plastic, from the days when you could dig your hand in to above the wrist, now you`re lucky if the chocolates cover your finger tips.