Gransnet forums

Christmas

Three days with no electricity

(40 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 12-Jun-21 07:46:14

We had a storm on Wednesday night and we still have no power after 3 days. Privatisation just doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. The power company will not answer the phone or respond to emails. I have a memory of post war London and, truly, things were much better when any power failures occurred way back in the 1950s . We are truly a third world country here but that is a bit of an insult to those countries who at least don’t pretend to be civilised! Ok, rant over .

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Jun-21 07:51:41

Hello Nanna8 that sounds grim.
What do you mean, won't answer the phone? What are you going to do next?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Jun-21 08:09:17

Why Christmas?

Baggs Sat 12-Jun-21 08:14:05

Whitewavemark2

Why Christmas?

Christmas ⁇ ?

Baggs Sat 12-Jun-21 08:15:22

Have you tried looking online, nanna8? I think most electricity/power companies put information on their websites when there's been an outage.

Hope it's resolved soon.

CafeAuLait Sat 12-Jun-21 08:40:37

You poor thing. We got lucky. Is it at least coming on and off so your freezer and fridge stay cold? A few years back we had a multi day power cut. Usually just as I was getting concerned everything would spoil we got a short wave of power before it went out again. It was enough to keep the food cold enough and phone charged. I hope your house is okay.

CafeAuLait Sat 12-Jun-21 08:44:24

We just got a limb falling through the roof of our chicken coop.

ExD Sat 12-Jun-21 08:49:15

That's not on in this day and age, I hope you didn't have a freezer full pf food. Where do you live nanna8 and who is your power company?

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Jun-21 08:50:44

ExD - nanna8 is in Australia, not sure which region

Juliet27 Sat 12-Jun-21 08:53:41

CafeAuLait

Windy weather? Hope the chickens are ok.

Aveline Sat 12-Jun-21 08:54:18

Try tweeting about it naming the power company. That usually leads to action.

Juliet27 Sat 12-Jun-21 08:55:49

FannyCornforth

ExD - nanna8 is in Australia, not sure which region

Nanna8 is in Melbourne area

CafeAuLait Sat 12-Jun-21 08:58:14

Juliet27

CafeAuLait

Windy weather? Hope the chickens are ok.

The chickens are fine. It was their outdoor area, they were tucked away for the night.

tanith Sat 12-Jun-21 09:59:55

Maybe Nanna8 has a back up generator?

M0nica Sat 12-Jun-21 10:46:49

I was a bit puzzled, as I have found that our energy supplier and the grid control company, have generally been excellent in responding to all power and gas crises.

Now I know she lives in Australia, I epect they do things differently there.

kittylester Sat 12-Jun-21 11:09:51

It would be hell if it was actually Christmas!!

Chestnut Sat 12-Jun-21 11:21:44

It would save confusion if people indicated which country they are complaining about! Saying 'we are truly a third world country here' about Australia is very misleading if people think they're in the UK. I guess it's no good asking admin for a 'country' button but it would be so helpful!

Namsnanny Sat 12-Jun-21 11:29:08

Well all in all, this has been an interesting thread.
Under the wrong heading, about an unknown country, where possibly arms and legs are spontaneously falling out of the sky!!
The premise of a good book maybe??

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Jun-21 11:30:29

Chestnut this has happened before with nanna8s posts
For example, people wondering why her garden plants look so wonderful in November!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:32:47

How can you use the Internet without power, presumably a generator is working so probably not seen as urgent?
It might be an idea, when you have power back on to find their dedicated Emergency Power Cut telephone number, we ring our provider and they usually have a recorded message that tells us that they are aware, this number is different to their listed number.
I’m sure that in Australia they must have a similar number.

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 12-Jun-21 11:34:51

The Energy Australia web site has a number to call if you can’t get hold of your own Electricity Provider, you call them and they do the rest, apparently.

CafeAuLait Sat 12-Jun-21 12:22:25

Namsnanny

Well all in all, this has been an interesting thread.
Under the wrong heading, about an unknown country, where possibly arms and legs are spontaneously falling out of the sky!!
The premise of a good book maybe??

What do you call a tree limb then? :-) It's not a branch. Branches are small.

BlueBelle Sat 12-Jun-21 12:44:22

Oh dear this has given me a laugh especially the limb falIing through the roof and all at Christmas to!!
The neighbours must wonder about me I m laughing out loud

M0nica Sat 12-Jun-21 13:36:11

Computers have batteries, careful use, turning off when not using the computer could make it useable for 3 days without power.

ElaineI Sat 12-Jun-21 13:40:42

So glad it was a bit of tree not an arm or leg!