Gransnet forums

Christmas

Three days with no electricity

(41 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 12-Jun-21 07:46:14

We had a storm on Wednesday night and we still have no power after 3 days. Privatisation just doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. The power company will not answer the phone or respond to emails. I have a memory of post war London and, truly, things were much better when any power failures occurred way back in the 1950s . We are truly a third world country here but that is a bit of an insult to those countries who at least don’t pretend to be civilised! Ok, rant over .

BlueBelle Sat 12-Jun-21 13:45:08

cafeaulait Branches can be very big, it’s twigs that are small
Just coming down to seriousness now

Lollin Sat 12-Jun-21 13:58:58

BlueBelle

Oh dear this has given me a laugh especially the limb falIing through the roof and all at Christmas to!!
The neighbours must wonder about me I m laughing out loud

Me too! My dh started laughing because I couldn’t stop to tell him why.

Namsnanny Sat 12-Jun-21 21:02:12

Lollin and BlueBelle I love it when a thread spontaneously turns comical??

Namsnanny Sat 12-Jun-21 21:06:12

Cafeaulait if course your right, the reason it was funny in the first place was the word tree was omitted.
Sorry didn't mean anything by itsmile

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 21:07:12

nanna8

We had a storm on Wednesday night and we still have no power after 3 days. Privatisation just doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. The power company will not answer the phone or respond to emails. I have a memory of post war London and, truly, things were much better when any power failures occurred way back in the 1950s . We are truly a third world country here but that is a bit of an insult to those countries who at least don’t pretend to be civilised! Ok, rant over .

I thought that this can't be the UK.

The telephone and internet lines keep going down in other areas - Optus? - which has been very annoying and potentially disastrous.

It's not funny, I know, nanna8
Do you have a generator?

Now I know she lives in Australia, I epect they do things differently there.
Yes

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 21:08:12

Whitewavemark2

Why Christmas?

Christmas is not until July in Australia.

Callistemon Sat 12-Jun-21 21:09:30

Ps nanna8 I can remember when the water ran out, but that has happened in the UK too.

CafeAuLait Sun 13-Jun-21 00:36:50

Namsnanny

Cafeaulait if course your right, the reason it was funny in the first place was the word tree was omitted.
Sorry didn't mean anything by itsmile

Glad to give people a laugh. :-) I thought it went without saying that storms and falling limbs would be trees. We have some pretty impressive trees around the houses. Nice that some people got a smile out of it.

M0nica Sun 13-Jun-21 07:42:51

There was some key information missing from nana8's story.
How exyensive was the storm and how extensive was the damage.

If only 6 houses were left without electricity, a three day wait to be reconnected is one thing, if the storm was extensive and a 100,000 people were cut off and damage to the network is extensive and the area she lives in is remote, then 3 days is understandable. The energy companies offices could be among those without power and employees may be unable to get to work.

nanna8 Sun 13-Jun-21 07:51:14

Hallelujah it came back today. That was from Wednesday night to Sunday afternoon, nothing. We were besides ourselves because it is cold and miserable in the dark at this time of year. Mid Winter. No explanations given, no communication whatsoever except a general comment that it was due to wild weather. Some wild people around as well, now. We are lucky because some are still without any. Ah well, glad we don’t live in a tent , at least we had a roof and it does make you appreciate what homeless people have to cope with.

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Jun-21 07:51:34

On a serious note - where is nanna8?

It's extremely unlike her not to return to a thread, and she is usually quite a prolific poster.

Hope that she is okay

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Jun-21 07:52:12

Oh cross post! How strange!

nanna8 Sun 13-Jun-21 07:52:48

We are metropolitan Melbourne by the way, not remote ! God help the remote ones my heart goes out to them.

nanna8 Sun 13-Jun-21 07:53:46

Thank you for lovely thoughts Fanny, only just got the lekky back as they say here.

BlueBelle Sun 13-Jun-21 08:05:43

Sounds a bit primitive at least here if you have a power cut and we don’t have that many in my experience must be 2 or 3 years since we had one in my area they let you know and you have a number you can ring for updates or you can get text updates ( whilst your mobiles still alive) it’s rare to be off more than an hour or two
Would it pay you to have a charge stick (not sure what the real name is (charging bank maybe) and keep it always topped up I have a couple for when I travel wouldnt last four days but for emergencies etc