Gransnet forums

Christmas

alone at christmas

(39 Posts)
sandy2021 Sat 02-Oct-21 23:18:20

Single mom of four grown children and this will be my first christmas without them. They all have spouses and significant others and are heading in different directions. Not sure how to spend the day. Any suggestions to keep me occupied would be appreciated.

BoadiceaJones Sat 02-Oct-21 23:40:08

I'm so sorry to hear this. Do I assume that you are in the US? And if so, you might be having snow and cold? Perfect! Make it a positive. Buy yourself a really beautiful throw or shawl-a real indulgence. Buy it soon and wrap it in all its gorgeousness, then forget that you have it until Opening Day. Buy in all your favourite foods - don't be conventional - you don't HAVE to have turkey. A nice bottle of champagne all to yourself. Pamper yourself with a hot bath, nice hair products, a fluffy new towel. Skype your family if you choose, or wait for them to skype you. Keep upbeat with them.

Alternatively, do you know of anyone on their own, whom you might care to share with?
Do you have a City Mission that serves dinner to the homeless or lonely? Getting involved in cooking and serving Christmas dinner is a really fun thing to do.

Just be kind to yourself, ok?
x

Chardy Sun 03-Oct-21 07:23:48

I'm in agreement with BoadiceaJones, pamper yourself, cook in advance if possible, plan ahead.

MaggieTulliver Sun 03-Oct-21 08:08:47

Yes all the above OP and find a feel-good film to watch or one that has a special significance for you. Go for a walk (you don’t mention if you have a dog) and smile at everyone you meet and wish them a happy Christmas if they don’t first!

You won’t be alone in being alone and remember that it’s just one day.

Kim19 Sun 03-Oct-21 08:30:04

Spent a good few Christmasses on my own I be the

Kim19 Sun 03-Oct-21 08:34:59

once the Ss had flown the nest. Got up gently and went church. After that I indulged myself in absolutely whatever I fancied be it on the telly or from the fridge, bar or a walk in the park. This was sometimes interspersed with calls or contact from loved ones. Never spent a miserable one yet. Mind you, a generally happy heart helps for starters.

Ashcombe Sun 03-Oct-21 08:45:01

I think you’re wise to plan your day in advance and make something of your own celebration.

Like many others, I was alone last Christmas as my DH lives in France, two of my children live over 200 miles away (the third is in Australia!) and travel was very restricted. They all rang/Zoomed to share what they were doing, which helped the day along.

Most churches have services on Christmas morning where you’d be made very welcome. After attending mine, I opened a bottle of fizz which lasted for the rest of the day! I bought lovely nibbles (smoked salmon, prawns, olives, etc) for lunch then cooked a turkey crown in the evening. In between, I enjoyed various TV programmes, having planned from the listings what I’d watch.

I hope that helps and perhaps you'll have some kind of family gathering on another day to celebrate. Good luck!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 03-Oct-21 09:30:16

All of the above, plus either start searching the TV channels for some good programmes that you can download now and save
( they often put on old repeats at Christmas) or buy some DVDs now and put by.
Buy yourself something special and don’t forget , Gransnet is still open and plenty of Posters available for a chat.

SecondhandRose Mon 04-Oct-21 11:50:32

Big bubbly bath, radio, cocktails, yummy lunch of whatever you have planned, more cocktails. Walk the dog? Or just a long walk wishing everyone a Merry Christmas on the way. TV and bed.

Or you could volunteer somewhere or find a friend who will host you. I’d hate to think a friend of mine was alone at Christmas.

nexus63 Mon 04-Oct-21 11:55:56

this will be my first christmas on my own, i lost my partner earlier this year and just got out of hospital yesterday and i am now recovering from vulvar cancer, my son and other family have invited me but i am happy to be on my own, my parner and i never bothered about christmas, just had a sunday lunch and exchanged cards. i am lucky that i like my own company...lol, do you have any single friends you could get together with? i hope whatever you decide you have a peaceful and enjoyable day.

aonk Mon 04-Oct-21 12:00:27

I do sympathise and feel fortunate that I’m not in your position. Everyone is different of course but maybe you could ask to join in with one of your ACs gatherings? My father was always included when we spent Christmas with my in laws. 2 years ago we had our Dils sister with us.

chris8888 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:00:27

I spent my first Christmas alone last year, it was fine I just spoilt myself a bit. Watched a nice movie and ate a nice lunch.

inishowen Mon 04-Oct-21 12:01:34

The first year we were married we lived abroad and hubby had to work. I dreaded being alone. The day before we doing some shopping and the cashier mentioned her husband was working. Before I knew it, hubby invited her to spend the day with me. (He knew her husband). It turned out great. She was good fun and very chatty. We cooked ourselves a roast chicken. Just saying, maybe the op has a friend who could join her.

vickya Mon 04-Oct-21 12:02:32

Husband was merchant navy and trips were 4 or 5 months away and 2 or 3 home, which often wasn't over Xmas. Two daughters and I entertained gran, sometimes friends or neighbour. But after they went to uni I did do a show for Hospital Radio as was a DJ there, I did a regular one but an Xmas one if alone or husband away. And one year I helped at Crisis at Christmas. So many very nice people there, helpers and clients. With some other tutors from the FE college I worked for we set up computers so the clients could come and use them, helped them think about courses they might like to take and generally helped with whatever we could. |We helped for a week. I think now I'd not be well enough and do have company but if you're able helping others is a good way to spend Christmas.

Lambangel Mon 04-Oct-21 12:06:20

I think you do right to pamper yourself and if you can get a couple of good books you can snuggle down to, I also like gaming and enjoy playing on my x box just on my own, TV is a great blessing, but hope your not lonely as Christmas day is special and we all should be kinder to each other, a nod a smile a merry Christmas hurts nobody.

Bugbabe2019 Mon 04-Oct-21 12:33:10

Just wondering why you haven’t been invited to any of your DCs houses?

LondonMzFitz Mon 04-Oct-21 12:37:19

I've spent some great Christmas's on holiday - I've posted about them before on this Forum. Italy, Croatia, Bulgaria. Last year with Covid my son came over for an hour in the morning but the rest of the day I was alone, I didn't like it one bit. Too many memories of family Christmas's .... Ghosts of Christmas Past.

Just You, Solo's, Leger etc all do trips, some in the UK with the possibility of cancellations of foreign travel. I'd suggest a singles/solo trip as others with couples can make you feel even more alone!

Scottiebear Mon 04-Oct-21 12:43:18

Like others, I suggest you pamper yourself. Get in all your favourite things. In the evening a lovely relaxing bath with candles and a glass of something nice. Into cosy clothes or jimjams. I enjoy doing a good Christmas jigsaw, with nice glass of wine and music playing. Or find good film on TV. Hopefully some of your family will ring or Skype you. Enjoy.

Pearlsaminger Mon 04-Oct-21 12:48:17

When I was in my 20’s I always spent Christmas on my own. I had to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but I was working in a social club so always lots of people around to chat to from 12-3pm. They had a Christmas Dinner after the club closed, for the local elderly people and others who were on their own, and I was always invited.

But I honestly preferred to go home, throw off my clothes, shower off the beer and smoke fumes and then lie in a hot bubble bath for an hour.

Pizza and chips was perfect for one, rounded off with a fancy whipped cream hot chocolate. Curled up in front of the tv, watching all the old rubbish that was on.

Daughter went to Nannies, and spent Christmas with her (it saved my Mum being alone too) and I joined them very early on Boxing Day for a few days.

I’m not a lover of Christmas and have in the past gone away to a lovely hot sunny country to lie on the beach with a good book.

So do whatever you fancy OP, if you don’t want to be alone invite a friend, or offer your services at a local church or group if they’re having a Christmas lunch.

My elderly neighbour goes to the church every year, (except during Covid of course) and says she has a wonderful time. Meeting new people, chatting with old friends she’s made and always comes home with a food package and a couple of small gifts.

Make it YOUR day - all about you ?

Applegran Mon 04-Oct-21 12:49:37

I know some people do volunteer work on Christmas day and say they really find it rewarding. Here is a link I've just found
www.bigissue.com/news/activism/how-to-find-volunteer-work-in-your-local-area-this-christmas
Maybe you could combine volunteering with planning lots of nice things for yourself? I salute you for planning ahead and hope you have a wonderful day!

rowyn Mon 04-Oct-21 13:51:54

Christmas is a state of mind. Think of it as a celebratory day where you can indulge yourself in whatever way you wish.
I've spent the last 3 Christmases on my own, watched lots of rubbish TV, read books I've bought myself for Christmas, and eaten easily prepared meals that I enjoy.

Hithere Mon 04-Oct-21 13:59:31

Xmas is just one day - many people choose to ignore it and follow with normal life.

Others, do what they havent been able to do ever - eat a special dish, just eat a sandwich but they couldn't before because "it's xmas! You cannot eat that in xmas!", binge movies, volunteer, go for a walk, etc

Xmas can also be celebrated in a different day

Do not let useless artificial social constraints limit what you can do

CarlyD7 Mon 04-Oct-21 14:47:17

I've spent one Christmas alone and it was absolutely fine (in fact, it was other people's reactions that were worse). Lots of people spend it alone, especially as we get older. Got myself a new pair of Christmas pyjamas and slippers, and spent most of the day in them - including breakfasting on my favourite coffee and box of chocolates (why not ??) Think about all your favourite food and get it in - not Christmassy? So what! Stock up on films, and the day will fly by. An elderly aunt (who died a few years ago at 90) nearly always spent Christmas alone and hated "being dragged" (her words) into someone-else's Christmas. Her avoiding neighbours included sitting in the back room with the lights out so that no-one would see she was home! She refused to answer any phone calls and just enjoyed her sherry, her small ready meal and doing a new jigsaw. This is YOUR Christmas - decide how you want to spend it.

MaggsMcG Mon 04-Oct-21 15:13:49

I think that's a bit unkind of them but in your case I think I'd go away somewhere warm with other like minded solos, or if you don't fancy abroad there's plenty of other places in UK.

Kim19 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:33:12

Slightly off topic but - I've just received my first Christmas card! Hope the next one is awhile off.