Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Tree- real or fake?

(113 Posts)
Grandmabatty Sun 28-Nov-21 17:31:32

I saw this on Mumsnet and wondered what grans thought. I always had a real tree, ceremoniously bought by my dad, bless him. My ex would make a meal of putting it up and be very unpleasant about it. My son took over and would help me put it up. I swore by a real tree. Then one Christmas a few years back I was very skint. I told the kids I wasn't going to bother with a tree but they weren't fooled. They combined their money and bought me a lovely fake one. I was so touched. The benefit is, I can put it up single handed now I live alone. I don't think I'll ever go back to a real tree. Which do you have and why?

Grandmabatty Fri 03-Dec-21 18:29:38

Tree and decorations are up. It's early for me but I don't care!Theworriedwell that's lovely about your grandson. I hope he continues to get well.

TillyTrotter Fri 03-Dec-21 20:43:50

You’ve made a glorious job of your Christmas ? Grandmabatty and I love the star on the top ⭐️

LindaPat Fri 03-Dec-21 20:57:19

A tip for anyone with a real tree, for when you take it down.

Before moving the tree, lay an old sheet ( the bigger the better) on the floor in front of it. Loosen the tree from it's stand and lay it down on the sheet. Wrap the sheet around the tree, as tight as you can, to carry it outside.

Saves an awful lot of needles pinging off in all directions as you go past furniture and through doorways!

Take care xx

Jaxjacky Fri 03-Dec-21 21:17:22

Good shout LindaPat thanks.

Maggiemaybe Fri 03-Dec-21 22:47:15

One year I stood ours on an old duvet cover, pulled the cover up over the tree and tied the top. Success! We got it out of the house and into the car without any shedding of needles.

If only DH had brought the duvet cover back from the tip so we could have used it again….

M0nica Sat 04-Dec-21 09:22:25

Yes, we have done what Lindspat recommends for some years. We have a tree in the bay window at the front of the house and getting it in and out of the house was really difficult.

We have now replaced it with an artificial tree, but still have a real one in the living room, which stands just in front of the French doors so makes its entrance and exit directly too and from the garden and leaves minimal mess inside.

kittylester Sat 04-Dec-21 13:41:45

To be honest, I though everyone used the old duvet method of removal!

Jaxjacky Sat 04-Dec-21 13:56:04

Not us kitty duh. Will now though!

rockgran Sat 04-Dec-21 14:34:49

I've had the same two fake trees for thirty years - their carbon footprint must be minimal by now.

Witzend Sun 05-Dec-21 20:28:57

Dd1 and family have rented a real one this year - they picked it up yesterday. It’s drinking gallons of water!

Daisymae Mon 06-Dec-21 07:44:13

A snowy tree this year, white decorations with a little gold.

kittylester Mon 06-Dec-21 09:27:02

Witzend

Dd1 and family have rented a real one this year - they picked it up yesterday. It’s drinking gallons of water!

Ours did to begin with but soon stabilised.