Gransnet forums

Christmas

Don’t make me laugh- Hermes tips for Christmas deliveries.

(26 Posts)
25Avalon Fri 10-Dec-21 09:31:20

Don’t make me laugh but Hermes are giving tips for getting your parcels delivered in time for Christmas. Tip number one should be don’t use Hermes.

Good news for me that my Hermes courier has left.? Have to see what the new one is like?Brilliant helpful chap is back but maybe only for a few days.

J52 Fri 10-Dec-21 09:46:46

This week I had a parcel delivered by Hermes, they contacted me and I was told that it was left in the shed. We don’t have a shed and if we did it certainly wouldn’t be at the front of the house.
You’ve probably guessed where it was left, yes, on the doorstep! Fortunately my son walking his dog retrieved it.

Sashabel Fri 10-Dec-21 09:53:33

With Hermes, I think it all depends what delivery driver you get. I have had the same chap delivering my Hermes parcels for well over 2 years now and he is absolutely fantastic, I just hope he doesn't get moved to another round. He would never leave a parcel on the step for someone else to steal and knows exactly where to put it around the side of the house where it is not on show and he always smiles asks how I am when I take a package of him.

Shropshirelass Fri 10-Dec-21 09:59:07

I have always had excellent service from Hermes, our local delivery lady is superb, as is her husband who is also working for Hermes.

GagaJo Fri 10-Dec-21 10:15:01

The Hermes driver for our area lives somewhere near us. We were out when he tried to deliver, so dropped it off when he was on his way to the supermarket in the evening. What a nice guy!

Sparklefizz Fri 10-Dec-21 10:29:43

My Hermes delivery guy is excellent. Efficient and very reliable. He has been doing the round for years.

Rosalyn69 Fri 10-Dec-21 11:11:32

Our Hermes guy is great. It’s the company that sucks. Once our courier gets the parcel he texts us a time slot and he arrives and we have a set place for him to leave parcels.

theworriedwell Fri 10-Dec-21 11:15:03

I've had a couple of Hermes deliveries this week with no problem. Also TNT, DPD, Amazon and Royal Mail. Not all for me as GS is busy doing his Christmas shopping and buying some new clothes and A level books.

Ph1lomena Fri 10-Dec-21 11:19:29

We had excellent Hermes delivery people both at our last house and here until earlier this year when everything seemed to change. The current guy really doesn't have a clue. Left a parcel for us on our next door but one neighbour's doorstep where the postman saw it and brought it down to us! I also used to use Hermes collection a lot (daughter is housebound and I'm her carer and the nearest drop off is several miles away). I can book it online but unless he turns up to deliver something else, he will not collect. If he does a delivery and you say 'I booked a collection' he will look on his device and there it is so he will take it. I have asked him why he doesn't seem to know there's a collection to do (or chooses to ignore it) but he says he will ask his boss!

Grannynannywanny Fri 10-Dec-21 11:25:28

I was expecting a delivery this week. The bin man kindly knocked the door yesterday with my package. He’d glanced in the bin before removing it from my path. The Hermes delivery driver had left the parcel in the bin. I had no idea it was there as there was no card in the letter box or any text/email.

They did a similar thing a few years ago and delivered £200 worth of medical supplies into the bin while I was away overnight. The bin was emptied before I got home.

EllanVannin Fri 10-Dec-21 11:28:14

I can't complain about any of my deliveries at all. All of them are pleasant and helpful too.

Kalu Fri 10-Dec-21 11:33:06

I haven’t had any delivery problems thankfully. Always left in the porch behind storm doors.

BlueBelle Fri 10-Dec-21 11:34:15

Last week I went to wait at my grandson for a parcel he was expecting between 1.20and 2 20 I was there by quarter past
At 20 to 3 I heard a beep beep beep as something backed up the street I looked out it wasDpD and it stopped just opposite the house I got up and went to the front door Without getting out the driver just drive away
Presuming it was not for us I looked on their tracking and it said “driver could not find the house” ( bearing in mind it is the Main Street through town with numbers going up in twos and he sat right outside it and taken all the trouble to back up to be outside it….WHAT THE F xxx

LindaPat Fri 10-Dec-21 11:44:32

We don't have a problem with our regular Hermes delivery person ( husband and wife team), or our regular RM postman. They both know where to leave parcels if we're not in.

The only time we have a problem is if we get a new temporary postman. Recently one of these put a letter and a parcel for us through a nearby ( obviously ) unoccupied house. He did realise what he'd done, and left us a note, but we had to wait until the owner paid a rare visit before we got our mail back.

Take care xx

MiniMoon Fri 10-Dec-21 13:16:52

Our Hermes delivery man is very good. Its the DPD delivery driver I take issue with.
He delivered my fishbox this week, but not to my front porch. Fortunately it wasn't too far away. The photo he took showed the box on my neighbour's front doorstep. There isn't a porch on her house!

luluaugust Fri 10-Dec-21 16:03:55

My brother was informed his Hermes parcel was a few miles away ready to be delivered, the next he heard it had gone to China and came back via Holland. He does have the parcel now after a lot of waiting in. He asked why Hermes was used and was informed they were the preferred choice of the company he was dealing with

Greyduster Fri 10-Dec-21 16:21:41

I had ordered some stuff from JL and it came via Hermes. When the doorbell rang, I shouted “just a minute while I get the key”. Opened the door and she was lifting the lid on the the gas meter box! “I wasn’t going to leave it there” she said hastily. So obviously she’s also paid to take meter readings, then! I know they are busy, but it was seconds, and they clearly can’t wait seconds. She had the cheek to take a photo of me holding the blasted thing!

Margiknot Fri 10-Dec-21 16:43:21

We live on an old medieval estate- with old hall in the centre - and several smaller rural properties scattered over a wide area- all with the same post code! There are no road names and no numbers to assist! The regular postman knows the area well- but other delivery drivers do not. At the beginning of the pandemic - with locals working from home and supermarkets delivering to the vulnerable, deliveries increased. Needless to say parcels ended up in the strangest of places and the photographs of where to find things were invaluable. We had several delivery drivers gets stuck (unable to turn around due to the narrow track) and another fall into the ditch! Hermes were actually one of the best - as the local delivery lady grew up here and drives a smaller car! We got to know all the local door steps as we searched for parcels. We did get to know our neighbours better as we all joined in searching for lost parcels!

Maggiemaybe Fri 10-Dec-21 17:34:51

Not another Hermes bashing thread! grin Nearly all delivery problems are down to the local driver and most people on here are happy with theirs, as am I. We have a couple of great Hermes guys who work their socks off at all hours but always have a cheery word and wave for everyone. All but one of the other companies do a great job too round here, and I’m very grateful to them all for their hard work, that makes my life so much easier.

My heart does sink whenever I hear our delivery will be made by Yodel, but I don’t blame the whole company because of our hapless local driver. Who left a box of 15 bottles of wine, clearly labelled as such, on our front doorstep yesterday for 5 hours, 4 foot away from the pavement and road. Our delivery instructions said it could be left with any neighbour, in the shed or out of sight in the yard or garden. Compounded by the fact that it came a day late, on Thursday when we’re always out, as opposed to the nominated Wednesday, which I chose because we’re always in!

ginny Fri 10-Dec-21 18:31:37

No problems with any of our Hermes deliveries so far.

MayBeMaw Fri 10-Dec-21 19:49:05

My Hermes courier could not be nicer - or try harder- so let’s not tar them all with the shame brush.
They have a fiendishly difficult job to do - delivering and picking up. They use their own transport and at this time of year even a largeish people carrier is pushed to its limits. They have the tightest of time scales in which to deliver each parcel so their routes have to be meticulously planned. They risk being done for parking if they stop on a yellow line and we all know what town parking is like.
So, accepting that there will be bad as well as good, let’s cut them some slack.

MayBeMaw Fri 10-Dec-21 19:50:45

She had the cheek to take a photo of me holding the blasted thing!
That’s not cheek - it’s standard practice to prove it has been handed over in the event of a dispute.
Why are some people so quick to take offence?

Forsythia Fri 10-Dec-21 19:56:44

We have a female Hermes delivery driver who puts the parcel on the step and walks away without ringing the doorbell all the while with her headphones in and loud music blaring from her van which is always left across the driveway.
Our postman is, by contrast, absolutely brilliant and you couldn’t find better.

Jaxjacky Fri 10-Dec-21 20:05:25

Our Hermes driver is excellent, she’s even started a local Facebook page for queries - brave!

Daisytwoshoes Sat 11-Dec-21 07:39:52

My Hermes driver is excellent
Always has a smile .delivers on time and works very hard
DPD is the same