Gransnet forums

Christmas

Would you 'approve' of theatres being open on Christmas Day?

(83 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 13-Dec-21 11:36:34

Or any entertainment venue really.

toscalily Mon 13-Dec-21 14:26:25

No, and I think this should also apply to Boxing day.

25Avalon Mon 13-Dec-21 14:30:40

Don’t care. I won’t be there.

Grannybags Mon 13-Dec-21 14:36:54

toscalily

No, and I think this should also apply to Boxing day.

I agree

As someone who worked in retail and was lucky to get Boxing Day off it's a definite no from me

mrshat Mon 13-Dec-21 15:14:42

A definite 'NO' from me!

GagaJo Mon 13-Dec-21 15:24:52

I think those in the performing arts community would be happy to open at Christmas, particularly at the moment. They'll already be on location, for Christmas Eve and Boxing Day productions. They don't go home (unless it is localish) for one day.

I know of at least 4 people who are in various parts of the UK for theatre productions. None are travelling late Christmas Eve. All are staying in place, although a couple do have a family member travelling to be with them.

mrswoo Mon 13-Dec-21 15:57:52

Most theatres are open on Christmas Eve and, during the pantomime season, many of the performers are a long way from home. Christmas Day is one of the few days that they get to spend with their families, after arriving home late on Christmas Eve and leaving sometime on Christmas day to be back at work on Boxing Day. So, Theatres should absolutely not open on Christmas Day regardless of the religious beliefs of the management. (And I write this from first-hand knowledge and experience)

MissAdventure Mon 13-Dec-21 16:00:06

It would be nice for people who are alone at Christmas to be able to attend, I think.
It just means that others would be expected to work, though, probably.

Namsnanny Mon 13-Dec-21 16:01:24

They'll already be on location.....and don't go home for one day
Good point GagaJo.
I'm assuming the 4 people in theatre that you refer to are under 40y, probably under 30?

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 13-Dec-21 16:38:17

Only operating theatres.

Rosie51 Mon 13-Dec-21 16:48:03

Hotels, Cafés and restaurants are hospitality and have always opened, slightly different to shops and theatres. I'm not sure they have, certainly not on the scale they do today. Why is it OK for people to have to work so others don't have to cook their own Christmas dinner? I'm obviously not referring to places like Crisis etc who do a wonderful job ensuring the homeless get some care and attention over Christmas, but they are all volunteers.
It's interesting the different areas that people think should open/operate and those that shouldn't. Even TV and radio require there to be workers to ensure transmission. The biggest change I'm aware of is the total lack of any public transport on Christmas Day and Boxing day and I'm in a city, not a rural area.

GagaJo Mon 13-Dec-21 16:57:05

One in under 30. The others are 40s. They're all staying put. I don't blame them. Train travel can be horrific. My daughter's trains (a week apart) were both late. One an hour and a half, one THREE hours. Not to mention the horror of the A1. No wonder they stay put.

MayBeMaw Mon 13-Dec-21 18:03:59

Mon 13-Dec-21 15:24:52
I think those in the performing arts community would be happy to open at Christmas, particularly at the moment

No way. Speaking with two family members “in the industry”.
Have you any idea how many people are involved in the presentation of any production?

What price family life I wonder. .

Namsnanny Mon 13-Dec-21 18:58:23

DiscoDancer1975

Only operating theatres.

and Thank goodness too!

Kim19 Mon 13-Dec-21 19:11:03

I wouldn't mind at all of there was absolute consensus within the working arena. Can't see them selling many tickets, mind you.

H1954 Tue 14-Dec-21 11:48:17

Hardly an essential service is it? I would also like to see all shops closed for Boxing Day too as well as closing for the two bank holiday days when Christmas Day and Boxing Day fall at the weekend.

cc Tue 14-Dec-21 11:49:53

No

Larsonsmum Tue 14-Dec-21 11:53:40

Absolutely not. I know many involved in Panto at all levels, and the run - including rehearsals as well as up to 10/11 performances a week for 4/5/6 weeks - is utterly exhausting. Cast and crew need a break on Christmas Day, and nobody I know would want to attend then anyway.

Daisend1 Tue 14-Dec-21 12:03:52

Pubs and restaurants open on xmas day why not leave it up to those concerned whether to open /work or not to open/ work. .

Riggie Tue 14-Dec-21 12:11:44

Other places are open and of course not everyone celebrates Christmas. However in my opinion it would need to be on the basis of the staff not being made to work if they don't want to, so it probably wouldn't work out if only half a panto cast were willing to work!!

Harmonypuss Tue 14-Dec-21 12:12:45

@Namsnanny

^As Riverwalk points out other places open.
I wondered if it would be helpful to those people who spend Christmas Day on their own. Locked in with the TV spouting all that guff about family and friends being at the centr of Christmas 'spirit'.
Not everyone can go for a walk.^

I'm with you on this!
I'm disabled, live alone and dislike xmas at the best of times.
All the sickeningly saccharine "family is everything, aren't we all having such a wonderful time" that we see plastered all over tv especially throughout the festive period really drives me mad.
I make sure I've got anything I might need for at least 10 days by about 22/23 Dec, I lock the doors, turn off the lights, tv and my phone, then double my painkillers, take sleeping aids and do my very best to sleep through 25&26th at the very least.
The phone and tv don't go back on until at least 28th and I don't open the front door until 1 Jan.
I'm not advising others to do what I do with my meds, it could be dangerous for them but I've been doing it for years and it's the only thing that works for me, so I'll continue.

If there was "something" open for those who are in a similar situation to me but who would actually like to interact with others rather than being subjected to all the crappy tv, I think it would be a good thing, as long as those working to provide this actually WANT to be doing it, and not being forced to by unscrupulous employers!

MissAdventure Tue 14-Dec-21 12:12:50

Just the front end of the pantomime horse.... grin

MissAdventure Tue 14-Dec-21 12:15:23

I think it could be a nice event for people who are alone over Christmas.
Something to go out and do, and someone to talk to, just to make sure you still have the power of speech..

Grantanow Tue 14-Dec-21 12:15:29

It's not possible to answer this with any confidence as it's hypothetical. No-one seems to have tested the market for theatres open on Xmas Day and it's matter between theatre owners and actors, etc., who have their trades unions like Equity. I prefer to be cautious about imposing 'Christian' views on others like Jews and Moslems, for example. A few years ago we went to a Morris dancing at Xmas in a nearby village and we were grateful to the Moslem taxi drivers who were working as normal and there was no public transport.

Pepper59 Tue 14-Dec-21 12:17:20

No and shops shouldn't be either. Everyone, unless you are an essential job should be able to have 25th and 26th December and 1st and 2nd January off. Retail and catering workers have been hammered for the past two years. Lets give everyone a break where possible.

Lizbethann55 Tue 14-Dec-21 12:17:37

No! No! Absolutely no!. My son is an actor. He is in a children's Christmas performance at a small regional theatre. His take home pay is£350 a week. He makes ends meet by teaching in a drama school at weekends. He has not had a single day off since rehearsals started in October. There is a performance Christmas Eve evening which has not sold out although the matinee has. After the last bow, he will be leaping in his car and driving down the M6 and M1 to join his wife and baby daughter and her family for Christmas day. The only reason he has Boxing Day off is because it is a Sunday. The only people who work on the three main Christmas dates should be emergency staff and they should be generously paid for it.