Gransnet forums

Christmas

Would you 'approve' of theatres being open on Christmas Day?

(83 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 13-Dec-21 11:36:34

Or any entertainment venue really.

Riverwalk Wed 15-Dec-21 10:01:00

I make sure I've got anything I might need for at least 10 days by about 22/23 Dec, I lock the doors, turn off the lights, tv and my phone, then double my painkillers, take sleeping aids and do my very best to sleep through 25&26th at the very least. The phone and tv don't go back on until at least 28th and I don't open the front door until 1 Jan.

Harmonypuss I'm shocked and saddened that you feel the need to do this every Christmas - lots of people live alone but I hope not many resort to literally medically knocking themselves out to sleep for two days!

Much of the Christmassy happy family stuff is advertising puff to sell more consumer goods and promote celebrities - not everyone is having a whale of a time.

Don't switch off your lights and hide - why not spend the days eating, drinking, reading and watching non-seasonal TV/films wine

Judy54 Wed 15-Dec-21 14:02:12

I agree with Lizbethann going to church on Christmas day whether you are Christian or not is a wonderful idea. The service with carols will be lovely and there will be people to meet and to chat with. Give it a try I am sure you won't be disappointed.

MissAdventure Wed 15-Dec-21 14:07:08

I think the people best placed to decide what they would like to do on christmas day if they're alone, are the people themselves.
Not those who are "just on their own" with their husband or partner.

Pepper59 Wed 15-Dec-21 16:35:11

There are many online Zoom Carol Services and Christmas events, even Zoom theatre. I would also thoroughly recommend the Cliff Richard Great 80 Concert which you should be able to get from 5 on Demand. I have to say it was an uplifting concert. I do understand Christmas can be a lonely and difficult time for many folk. Mind you, the 'happy family all round the table' scenarios are in reality very few and far between. Round the table they may be but happy.......

MissAdventure Wed 15-Dec-21 16:37:31

Thays not the same as having a purpose to go out.
Though I would run out the door if cliff richard was the alternative. smile

paddyann54 Wed 15-Dec-21 18:10:28

I'd leave home if I had to listen to Sir Cliff.I have no problem with Theatres or shops being open on Christmas Day as long as its the choice of the folk who work there
I have always been pleased about Sunday opening as we worked 6 day weeks often until very late and fitting shops in at lunchtimes was a problem.Sunday opening meant I could wander round shops for Christmas gifts and take time over it .

Namsnanny Thu 16-Dec-21 12:49:53

TBH I think if it ever happened the tickets would be astronomical in price.
Especially if the London shows opened. I could imagine that tourists would flock to see a big production.