Gransnet forums

Christmas

A party etiquette question, in these strange times!

(32 Posts)
Nannarose Tue 14-Dec-21 18:53:09

A lovely couple who lives nearby (I'd put them at the 'good acquaintance' end of the friendship scale) always host a pre-Xmas 'open house' (except last year). It is packed!
All and sundry turn up, most bringing drink, but a few of us also in the habit of bringing some food - I usually make a batch of vege 'sausage rolls' and had said I would, as usual.
Although normally careful people, they are going ahead this year, trusting in vaccinations. They are not scientists!
We are unhappy about going. I am not asking opinions about whether we should go or they shouldn't go ahead.

I am asking whether I should still make and drop off the rolls! There is always plenty of food, but they will be expecting them. They will understand us not going, but I don't want to look mean!

I think our options are:

Simply say we are not going
Say we are not going, but still offer the rolls
Arrive on the dot, when no-one else will be there, drop off the rolls and leave

Opinions welcome!

Oldnproud Tue 14-Dec-21 19:01:30

If I wasn' t going, I wouldn't provide any food.

To still provide food might suggest that I condoned their open-house party, which certainly wouldn't be the case. I think that sort of gathering is irresponsible at the current covid level.

Jaxjacky Tue 14-Dec-21 19:01:50

I’d drop off the rolls and leave.

Scribbles Tue 14-Dec-21 19:02:02

I think it would be courteous to offer the rolls when you say you won't be attending especially as it's veggie food you're offering and sometimes that's in short supply. Of course, it may be that they've had lots of cancellations, including the expected vegetarians - in which case, they can refuse your kind offer.

Sofa Tue 14-Dec-21 19:02:52

Definitely I think the last option, deliver the rolls when no one is there and leave.

Grandmabatty Tue 14-Dec-21 19:03:33

I agree with*Oldnproud*. I wouldn't be handing in rolls and I definitely wouldn't be going. If they are relying on the rolls that's hard luck. They might find fewer people drop in this year.

LauraNorderr Tue 14-Dec-21 19:05:13

I think it would be a kind gesture to make the rolls anyway. Probably not as many as usual as I imagine lots of others will feel as you do. I would let them know you won’t be going and drop off the rolls early evening wishing them well.

ixion Tue 14-Dec-21 19:15:22

I would let them know in advance by popping round and saying that you are sorry, but you don't feel comfortable attending in the current climate, but that you will continue to provide your sausages rolls and drop them round in advance.

NotTooOld Tue 14-Dec-21 20:49:57

I bet you won't be the only ones not attending so the rolls won't be necessary.

BlueBelle Tue 14-Dec-21 20:54:51

If I wasn’t going I wouldn’t be making them food but up to you we re all different

AreWeThereYet Tue 14-Dec-21 21:15:16

LauraNorderr

I think it would be a kind gesture to make the rolls anyway. Probably not as many as usual as I imagine lots of others will feel as you do. I would let them know you won’t be going and drop off the rolls early evening wishing them well.

I agree with this.

Doodledog Tue 14-Dec-21 21:39:15

Me too.

If I had accepted an invitation and offered a contribution I would honour the offer if I had decided to pull out. I would take the rolls at a time when there would be few people there, drop them off and go home, with a truthful (but not accusatory) explanation of why I didn't feel I could attend.

EllanVannin Tue 14-Dec-21 21:55:15

Yes, I'd drop the rolls off and leave then they won't think that you'd already pre-arranged backing out so decided not to provide food as well. If you get my meaning.

Spice101 Tue 14-Dec-21 21:55:34

If I invited someone to a function and they declined the invite I would not expect them to contribute to the food for the event.

seacliff Tue 14-Dec-21 22:04:33

I would tell them a few days before, if possible, explain you're just not risking big groups just now. I'd say I'm still happy to provide some veggie rolls if you need them? Then they have the chance to get extra supplies themselves, and hope they don't accept your offer.

Shelflife Tue 14-Dec-21 22:20:00

Take the rolls if you feel uncomfortable not doing so. Drop them at the door and make a hasty retreat. Irresponsible of your neighbours to have open house !! They may be very nice people and you may like them but they are not thinking of other people, you are wise not to go.

grannygranby Tue 14-Dec-21 22:42:48

your instincts are right and I am astonished how people will carry on as if normal unless it is forbidden. Madness. I think to provide the veg sausage rolls would be a rather mixed message. Just send your sympathies that Omricon has come at this time and decline, thanking them profusely and genuinely for their proffered hospitality and hope they will understand. Hopefully, they will. For all our sakes.

maddyone Tue 14-Dec-21 22:49:38

I’d make and drop off the rolls myself. They are probably expecting them. However I might make fewer than usual as there will probably be others who feel as you do and won’t go. I’d explain beforehand so they don’t expect you. They may even say don’t worry about the rolls as fewer people than usual are going.

freedomfromthepast Wed 15-Dec-21 00:25:43

If you have already agreed to dropping off the rolls this year, I would do so say Merry Christmas and leave.

If you have not agreed, then you are not obligated to drop off anything, send along best wishes and stay home.

Teacheranne Wed 15-Dec-21 00:58:12

LauraNorderr

Exactly what I would do! I have a reputation with my friends as a “feeder” so often take tasty treats around to friends, my cream meringues are in demand at this time of year! I enjoy baking, it’s one thing I can do sitting down so would offer to make my usual contribution and give my apologies for not joining them.

Hetty58 Wed 15-Dec-21 01:52:57

I wouldn't go - or take the rolls - as it's just plainly irresponsible behaviour on their part. We're in the middle of a pandemic.
There's no need for any explanation or apology from you.

Nansnet Wed 15-Dec-21 03:17:48

If I'd decided not to go, I would politely decline the offer. No need to give a reason, just simply say that you're sorry you won't be able to make it, and I wouldn't be supplying food either. If it were my party, I certainly wouldn't expect anyone not attending to supply food.

BlueBelle Wed 15-Dec-21 03:59:01

You say there is always plenty of food so if you love cooking and want to be benevolent why not make the food for someone who is struggling
Why add more to those that have plenty

Nannarose Wed 15-Dec-21 07:05:40

Thank you all!
A point I had not considered was 'appearing to be condoning', or 'mixed message'; although I had wondered about Scribbles point about 'veggies'.
I was also amused by Teacheranne's comment on being 'a feeder'; although not veggie myself, I have been around them all of my life, so am often the person who makes veggie stuff.
Although I take your point, Bluebelle, we already make contributions to feed people locally, so I regard this 'open house' as standing on its own.
I appreciate everyone responding exactly to what I asked, and your comments will inform the decision I'm going to make later today.

Allsorts Wed 15-Dec-21 07:20:41

If not going wouldn’t send good. Buffet and finger food a breeding ground for virus’s. Don’t think anyone would be serving it.