Gransnet forums

Christmas

Duchess of Cambridge playing the piano at the carol service.

(177 Posts)
Floriel Sat 25-Dec-21 21:13:29

I’m full of admiration for the D of C playing the piano. I thought she was fantastic. I know it wasn’t the hardest of pieces and that it was pre-recorded, but I thought she did so well. Speaking as one who’s struggling to get up the grades, I know how difficult it is and how nerves can destroy a performance that seems so secure in the safety of your own home. Well done Kate!

Bubbe Sat 25-Dec-21 21:43:43

I agree. Well done Catherine.

BigBertha1 Sat 25-Dec-21 22:03:24

I thought it was lovely, tasteful.

Chestnut Sat 25-Dec-21 22:06:30

What more can you say? William and Kate make me proud to be British.

Aveline Sat 25-Dec-21 22:16:53

A lovely understated surprise. How to do things in a tasteful way.

Urmstongran Sat 25-Dec-21 22:20:18

I think she was brave to sit at that piano. My hands would’ve been trembling with nerves! She practiced loads apparently.

I love Tom Walker’s voice. Scottish singer/songwriter aged 30y. I loved his song ‘Leave a Light On,’. I play it often. On Alexa, not the piano ...

paddyann54 Sat 25-Dec-21 22:43:20

Is this the modern equivalent of Diana dancing with Wayne Sleep ?

Urmstongran Sat 25-Dec-21 22:44:40

Ha! Yes perhaps paddyanne! ?

Ro60 Sat 25-Dec-21 23:05:13

Beautifully done - sometimes actions speak louder than words - 21 Century Royals

Zoejory Sat 25-Dec-21 23:18:38

paddyann54

Or the modern equivalent of Diana playing the piano smile

Doodle Sat 25-Dec-21 23:30:20

I thought she looked very lovely and composed. She apparently practised the piece a lot and did very well.
I love her quiet manner but also he willingness to have a go with sports and other things. I think she and William make a lovely couple.

MrsPickle Sun 26-Dec-21 00:33:26

Her composure and the look they gave each other.
Wins hands down over carol from kings

Lucca Sun 26-Dec-21 06:11:16

paddyann54

….. someone will be along to say no, that was showing off but this was tasteful ?

Sparklefizz Sun 26-Dec-21 07:12:13

I thought it was lovely and tasteful, and that she was brave to do it. Well done Catherine. I love her quiet manner as someone has said. She has a humility about her, and she and William seem a great couple.

The Queen, William and Kate make me proud to be British.

Anniebach Sun 26-Dec-21 09:20:22

No, not the equivalent of Diana dancing with Wayne Sleep.

Accompanying a singer on the piano in Westminster Abby in
tribute to the many who do so much during the pandemic.

Dancing on a stage for attention.

Alegrias1 Sun 26-Dec-21 09:21:24

Bingo!! ??

Aveline Sun 26-Dec-21 09:22:58

I thought about Diana and the Wayne Sleep incident too. However, this one was quite, calm and considered and the Diana episode felt strange and odd. Obviously, a symptom of her growing unease and unhappiness really. A desperate appeal for attention and so badly judged. Poor soul.

PamelaJ1 Sun 26-Dec-21 09:23:45

I played the piano at a school assembly once (only once!) I was totally terrified and no one outside the hall gave a fig.
I am in awe of Catherine. What courage.

Alegrias1 Sun 26-Dec-21 09:25:45

No, seriously.

Courage? Awe?

To play the piano in a pre-recorded video?

wildswan16 Sun 26-Dec-21 10:10:07

It was lovely for her to participate in the service. She did it with humility and no fanfare. She did it to play a small part in the service to thank and remember all those who have been affected by the last two years.

I'm sure she was nervous (pre-recorded or not). There is no need whatsoever to try and compare her to anyone else. I am just grateful that this couple are representing all of us.

henetha Sun 26-Dec-21 10:14:07

I so admired her courage for doing this, and she did it beautifully. I like Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, more and more.

Caleo Sun 26-Dec-21 10:20:06

The Duchess does very well in all manner of ways, and her husband was a genius for picking her to be his wife and companion for his very important work as future king someday, DV.

However that whole carol service was banal, ostentatious, and uninspiring compared with Carols at Kings. The simple readings from The Bible and the readers were just perfect.

Calendargirl Sun 26-Dec-21 10:24:27

I think that the service was designed to be more casual and less traditional than the Carols From Kings.

If they had done a similar one, there would have been accusations of muscling in on a much respected part of Christmas Eve.

lemsip Sun 26-Dec-21 10:25:07

Not prerecorded! live and unannounced on the tuesday of the concert and shown on tv at the weekend!Kate contacted Tom Walker
The Duchess of Cambridge “absolutely nailed” playing the piano at a community carol service at Westminster Abbey pop star Tom Walker said after Kate contacted him asking him to take part in her concert.

Walker described Kate as an “amazing musician” and said the pair got together for top-secret rehearsals in a recording studio ahead of the concert, which was broadcast on Christmas Eve.

Caleo Sun 26-Dec-21 10:25:26

Calendar, that is true.