Gransnet forums

Christmas

How was your Christmas cake?

(54 Posts)
CanadianGran Mon 27-Dec-21 18:50:11

I have make a Christmas cake only for the second time, and admit I really like it! If anything I would add a few more cherries since they are my favourite. No icing on mine, so really it's fruitcake, not Christmas cake. How would you define the difference?

I'll be tasting it for the next month, since a little goes a long way.

rubysong Fri 31-Dec-21 22:10:17

I opened a cake tin in December and there was a fruit cake! I can't remember making it so it has certainly been there a year. It looked OK so I put on the marzipan and icing and it was delicious. I always use a recipe from a very old 'Freezer Digest' magazine and dose it with brandy while it is warm, then I wrap in greaseproof and foil and leave it alone. I think I'll make one soon for next year.

valdali Fri 31-Dec-21 22:31:38

I've never made (or bought) a christmas cake before (in 35 years of marriage) - always do cheesecakes and chocolate logs / buy Stollen but for some reason I did this year, using a WI recipe I fancied. Iced with thin marzipan & fondant to make it look pretty. We managed to find room to sample it at teatime on Christmas day & I was really pleased . Only problem, I may have to do one next year now....

CanadianGran Sat 01-Jan-22 03:15:58

Some beautiful cakes on display! Do you make your little figures out of marzipan, or are they bought decorations?