Gransnet forums

Christmas

How old were your children when they found out Father Christmas wasn't real?

(94 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sat 19-Nov-22 11:16:24

A colleague at work said she found her 11 year old son writing a very long and expensive Christmas list to Father Christmas! She asked him why it was so long and he said "I didn't want to worry you and Dad this year, so I will ask Father Christmas for everything I want". Sweet, but she said it was obviously time "for a talk". Apparently he was devasted to learn the truth!

AreWeThereYet Mon 28-Nov-22 13:50:01

My older two were quite young, under 8, but didn't let on because they thought it would spoil the fun for me 😁 I'm glad they didn't because they had a younger brother. He found out from school friends by the time he was 5 anyway, and happily let everyone know there was no such thing. When asked where his presents came from then he was a bit flummoxed but thought probably the elves brought them.

grumppa Mon 28-Nov-22 14:12:01

I really can't remember regarding DDs, but as a child I didn't take at all to the idea of his sneaking around our house at the dead of night. So for several years my presents came from Eeyore.

Franbern Wed 30-Nov-22 16:12:18

Always thought the idea that someone else (F.Christmas),was able to supply expensive pressies rather worrying. So, when my children were small we explained that whereas FC definitely visited (or not if they had been incredibly bad that year), we, as parents had to pay them to supply the pressies. AND...that part of our payments had to be kept back so that children without parents who could pay would still get some.

Worked well, I think all my children knew before secondary school. Worked hard on the older ones NOT to disillusion the younger ones.

Myself, I realised when my I saw my Dad bringing in the pressies after he got fed up with me not going to sleep. He did make a lame excuse about FC not knowing which door was my bedroom, but it was enough for me to fathom it out - I was 8and a half years of age.

Loveliest comment was from my youngest, when he was about 6 years old, always a very deep sleeper. Christmas morning, he told me how he had watched vfrom his bedroom window FC and the sleigh, etc fly across the sky - and he really beleived he had done so.

Carts Fri 02-Dec-22 15:11:00

Travelling down to Austria for an unexpected Xmas skiing holiday my 5year son said in the car, 'Mam how will Santa know where to bring our presents?'
'Don't be silly ' my 7 year daughter said, Mam and Dad buy the presents and they are in the back of the car.
He wasn't happy and it took years for him to enjoy Xmas.

HousePlantQueen Fri 02-Dec-22 15:24:56

Frankly, I always felt uncomfortable with the fantasy as I didn't like telling what I felt were lies. DS had a pal with an older brother, and said pal loudly sneered when they were discussing Xmas one year (aged about 6 or 7), and said that it was parents who bought presents, not FC. DS didn't say anything, but then a few days later, alone in the car without his younger sister, he asked me if FC was real. I said that I wouldn't lie to him, it was all just a nice story for small children, and would he please not spoil it for his little sister. He was quite happy to be told, and delighted to be included in the secret.

Mandrake Sat 03-Dec-22 02:10:24

Mine have never believed in Santa.

Witzend Sat 03-Dec-22 11:50:51

I can remember arguing quite strongly with girls at school who told me FC was your parents.
Of course he wasn’t!

I was probably 7 or 8, certainly no more than 9, since we moved area. The reason I was so sure was that I was well aware from a very early age that money was seriously tight - how on earth would my folks have been able to afford all the (admittedly relatively little) things in our stockings or pillow cases?
They’re both long gone now, but I’m still very grateful to them for making that effort to create the magical excitement of FC coming.

Zoejory Sat 03-Dec-22 12:40:57

Mine have never admitted that they don't believe in Father Christmas

AreWeThereYet Sat 03-Dec-22 15:19:03

I don't remember feeling lied to at all. It was all a bit of fantasy for young children like the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny, Disney characters, that you grew out of as you aged. My DD says she just felt a bit disappointed at first that there was no man in a red suit and elves and reindeer but she enjoyed it while it lasted. Eldest GD says she doesn't remember ever believing in Santa Claus but she enjoys the pressies and Christmas in general so she's willing to join in 'with all the nonsense' if it makes everyone else happy 🙂

M0nica Sat 03-Dec-22 16:14:04

As far as mine are concerned they still do believe in Father Christmaa. One is 51, the other 49. Father Christmas has always only been responsible for what is found in their stockings in other words trivia and inexpensive items.

All the main presents come from family and friends and have labels saying who everything is from. DGC (15,12) are also devout believers.

Daisymae Sat 03-Dec-22 18:55:59

DS was 12. He knew that he had to be real as his mum wouldn't tell a lie. Bless.

Callistemon21 Sat 03-Dec-22 21:10:35

As far as mine are concerned they still do believe in Father Christmaa. One is 51, the other 49.
😂

Father Christmas couldn't find my DC once they left home.

M0nica Sun 04-Dec-22 07:37:44

Mine return home at Christmas and when they are at their own homes, their children still insist in believing in Father Christmas.

Redhead56 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:26:29

The age of innocence my two were very disappointed to hear FC didn’t exist their friends told them. It most certainly wasn’t me because I know he does exist!

luluaugust Sun 04-Dec-22 09:32:13

This has bought back the lovely memory of my dad, having been to midnight service he would come into see me lying awake waiting for Christmas morning and say you had better go to sleep I have seen Father Christmas near your school, he will be hear soon. It worked every time!

Norah Sun 04-Dec-22 15:00:47

Our daughters, GC, GGC still believe, eldest over 60. Lovely, and it makes pressies quite easy to accomplish.

Who else but FC would give your list consideration?

Witzend Mon 05-Dec-22 10:13:57

Callistemon21

^As far as mine are concerned they still do believe in Father Christmaa. One is 51, the other 49^.
😂

Father Christmas couldn't find my DC once they left home.

Same here - funny how he can find them if they’re staying here on Christmas Eve, though.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 10:17:09

Oh no, I'm so out of the habit, I never thought of that for this year 😲

I'll send FC a note.