Gransnet forums

Christmas

6 Things you make at Christmas that really you don't like.

(74 Posts)
Yammy Sat 19-Nov-22 12:29:36

As it nears stir up Sunday I was planning ahead and thought of all the things I make that I really don't like. Mine would be.

Christmas pudding I'd rather have a Bouche de Noelle.
Christmas cake I'd swop to Black Forrest Gateau
Trifle, rather have a Pavlova,
Mince pies/eclair or Choux bun.
Bread sauce, anything but it.
Brussels sprouts, beans or carrots are fine.
I realise for 40+ years I have been catering for everyone else and not myself. I'm not keen on Stollen either or gravy. In fact, I don't like much about the whole show, so I must put a good show on as we haven't got a dog and no one ever realises.

Smileless2012 Sat 19-Nov-22 17:41:58

I make it the way my gran and mum used too Callistemon.

ShazzaKanazza Sat 19-Nov-22 17:46:43

I only make food I like because I’m the one making it. I haven’t had bread sauce since I was little I can’t remember the taste now.

swampy1961 Sat 19-Nov-22 22:21:18

Smileless2012

What's the point of Bread Sauce?shock Can't have chicken or turkey without it.

Love the Bread Sauce!! But whereas my family grew up on the stuff with a huge turkey and a large number people round the table for Xmas Dinner - it is rarely made as we are scattered all over the the country now.
Not a sprout person!! Or a chocolate lover!! Can leave the nuts alone too!! Otherwise I don't think I'm too hard to cater for!! But do cater or all likes and dislikes when it's my turn to do dinner. But have never yet had to do a Nut roast - wouldn't know how to!!

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Nov-22 22:35:07

I've done nut roasts for DD a couple of times.
One year I bought a packet mix from the Healthfood shop but it wasn't very good.

There are lots of alternatives in the supermarkets now.

AussieGran59 Sat 19-Nov-22 23:16:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AussieGran59 Sat 19-Nov-22 23:18:12

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Nov-22 23:34:00

Sprouts are not just for Christmas but they are generally sold as a winter vegetable because, apparently, they're better when they've had a touch of frost.
They're traditional with Christmas dinner.

I did see Australian sprouts on sale in Tesco a few years ago.

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Nov-22 23:36:19

AussieGran59

What is bread sauce? How can sauce be made from bread?
I don’t cook anything I don’t like any more. My trifle is very alcoholic so not suitable for children.

I remember the Australian man who got breathalysed and was over the limit but blamed his Auntie's Christmas Day trifle!

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/british/traditional-bread-sauce

Yammy Sun 20-Nov-22 00:00:18

AussieGran59

What is bread sauce? How can sauce be made from bread?
I don’t cook anything I don’t like any more. My trifle is very alcoholic so not suitable for children.

Hi ,Bread sauce was probably to pad things out for a big family. Bread sauce is basically bread made into crumbs then soaked in milk with an onion studded with cloves left overnight then heated up with plenty of butter and salt and pepper. It's like babies' pobs. All white and squelchy.
I'll get you a recipe if you want to try it but I like the idea of Aussie Christmas fayre much better, lobster and prawns on a bar b queue would be right up my street .
Also your famous pavlova.
Like Calestimon says sprouts taste better in England after a frost and are often glaced with chestnuts after boiling to hell and back. I like them fried with pancetta, which doesn't match a Christmas Turkey or Goose.

nanna8 Sun 20-Nov-22 00:05:27

I like everything, can’t think of one single thing I don’t like. Piglet me 🐖

Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 00:08:24

Sprouts. The food of Satan.

My weirdo family like them at Christmas though, so I cook them. None of them will touch them any other day of the year though, so it’s not all bad wink

Otherwise bring on the Christmas food. All of it. I do nut roast for Mr D and my daughter, and the rest of us treat it like stuffing to have with ours (I do extra for Boxing Day sandwiches).

nanna8 Sun 20-Nov-22 00:13:18

Doodle dog wash yer mouth out you naughty thing! Steam them then cook them in garlic butter in the frypan.

Doodledog Sun 20-Nov-22 00:23:30

There is not enough garlic in the world to mask the taste of sprouts grin

OnwardandUpward Sun 20-Nov-22 00:25:37

Like you Yammy, I dont like most Christmas food- but I LOVE gravy! Also we have been having an alternative Christmas dessert for my entire adult life as I was made to eat Christmas pudding as a child and dislike it intensely. I do buy one for people who want to eat it.

Also I hate Christmas cake. Normally I make one but I am cheating this year and by the time I've fed it alcohol, marzippaned and iced it I don't think anyone will realise. There are things I'd rather do than bake.

It is a revelation to me about cooking sprouts in garlic butter, but I will definitely try it. I think they would be quite nice like that, but I don't normally like them.

AussieGran59 Sun 20-Nov-22 03:35:49

nanna8 Sun 20-Nov-22 04:43:24

AussieGran59

Thanks Yammy but I’ll pass on the bread sauce. I don’t think we would like it.
Callistemon21, I love sprouts but they don’t love me.
The trifle isn’t alcoholic enough that a serving would put you over the limit.

Mine might be- I go mad with either gin or brandy, depending on which I’ve got in the cupboard. Strictly not for under 18s! Amazing how much those Italian sponge thingoes soak up .

BigBertha1 Sun 20-Nov-22 07:31:12

Parsnips. I hate them but I always cook them for my husband yuk. The only thing for me is bread sauce no one here liked that. Christmas Eve buffet has things I don't like to touch like olives and dips...so oily they make me squirm. DH can put those out..

Lucca Sun 20-Nov-22 07:38:56

Smileless2012

What's the point of Bread Sauce?shock Can't have chicken or turkey without it.

Love home made bread sauce , onion cloves mace . Often have it with sausages and roast potatoes etc just for dinner.

merlotgran Sun 20-Nov-22 08:23:24

Love home made bread sauce , onion cloves mace .

Oh, so do I but nobody else does. 😩

Witzend Sun 20-Nov-22 09:45:21

I’ve never made bread sauce - my father used to like it but nobody else did - or trifle (I really don’t like cream). Trifle was always a Christmas Thing in dh’s house but he’s never asked for it (I would make it if he did) - luckily he loves my home made Christmas puds and brandy butter.

Lucca Sun 20-Nov-22 16:51:14

merlotgran

^Love home made bread sauce , onion cloves mace .^

Oh, so do I but nobody else does. 😩

All my family do ! Don’t want to get yelled at but I suspect a packet one would be pretty grim…….

Alioop Sun 20-Nov-22 19:37:12

The years I had to do bread sauce, sprouts, stuffing shoved up the turkey as I would of preferred it cooked separately, Xmas pudding, trifle with no fresh cream on top cos it gave my ex mum-in-law migraines, oh and you couldn't have your 1st alcoholic drink until dinner. Now I don't do any of those darn things, I can decide now for myself and it's great. For a start the Bucks Fizz cork pops at 10am 🎉

SachaMac Sun 20-Nov-22 19:44:34

I love most of the things mentioned especially the bread sauce, it’s the only day we eat it but it’s a tradition we all enjoy. One thing I can’t stand is brandy butter, yuck! I only ever have custard or cream to go with the Christmas pudding.

M0nica Mon 21-Nov-22 16:45:15

I love all the Christmas food and would hav ethe lot even if I was spending Christmas alone.

However, other members of the family do not, so these are my alternatives

mince pies = spiced biscuits
Christmas pudding = Yule log
Christmas cake = Christmas iced fairy cakes.

JackyB Mon 21-Nov-22 20:04:50

I love everything Christmassy but don't do Christmas cake or pud as no one understands them here.

I never cook anything I don't like but, anyway, the only thing I don't like is beetroot and that is hardly a Christmas staple.

I don't do anything special for my vegetarian DiL - there is enough with potatoes, mushrooms, chestnuts and all the veg to compensate for not eating meat.