Gransnet forums

Christmas

6 Things you make at Christmas that really you don't like.

(73 Posts)
Yammy Sat 19-Nov-22 12:29:36

As it nears stir up Sunday I was planning ahead and thought of all the things I make that I really don't like. Mine would be.

Christmas pudding I'd rather have a Bouche de Noelle.
Christmas cake I'd swop to Black Forrest Gateau
Trifle, rather have a Pavlova,
Mince pies/eclair or Choux bun.
Bread sauce, anything but it.
Brussels sprouts, beans or carrots are fine.
I realise for 40+ years I have been catering for everyone else and not myself. I'm not keen on Stollen either or gravy. In fact, I don't like much about the whole show, so I must put a good show on as we haven't got a dog and no one ever realises.

Smileless2012 Sat 19-Nov-22 12:32:18

Well I like all the things you don't Yammy. There's nothing to stop you having those things you like too is there? Just think a whole Black Forrest Gateau for example. Go on, treat yourself this Christmas.

Nannarose Sat 19-Nov-22 12:35:11

The only thing that I make that I don't personally like, is trifle. I make 2 a year for DH as he loves them (Xmas & Easter). He's a good plongeur & sous-chef, but not a brilliant cook.
He helps me make things like Xmas pud that are not to his taste. He never used to eat Xmas cake either, but would painstakingly chop the really good peel I buy. however, in the last few years he has taken to enjoying it with cheese as a New Year snack.
I love everything else! And we both love our morning-after-Boxing-Day breakfast of toast and dripping (from whatever bird we've cooked - goose this year)

MerylStreep Sat 19-Nov-22 12:36:08

I love everything you’ve listed except for Bread Sauce.
Just what is the point of it 💁‍♀️

Nannarose Sat 19-Nov-22 12:36:30

PS: I should add that I think X mas is about pleasing yourself and those you love.

Mollygo Sat 19-Nov-22 12:37:59

My DGC would solve your problem Yammy. Since they arrived, I cater for all sorts of food lovers.
Everyone except DH loves my trifle, so if we didn’t have celebration meals I’d either feel deprived, or be much fatter. 🤣🤣

Smileless2012 Sat 19-Nov-22 12:38:29

What's the point of Bread Sauce?shock Can't have chicken or turkey without it.

Blossoming Sat 19-Nov-22 12:41:49

We simply don’t bother with anything we don’t like smile

hazel93 Sat 19-Nov-22 12:57:27

Over many years of cooking Christmas lunch for 12 and pandering to so many likes and dislikes I now cook for me - take it or leave it !
Mince pies though, cannot do without ! Total faff to make but so delish.

Blondiescot Sat 19-Nov-22 13:01:02

I don't cook anything I don't like - but then I'm not really a fussy eater to begin with. I don't normally do Brussels Sprouts though - I do like them, but can only eat literally one or two or they play havoc with my diverticular disease, and apart from my OH, no-one else in the family likes them.

Kate1949 Sat 19-Nov-22 13:02:56

I don't make anything blush

hazel93 Sat 19-Nov-22 13:14:13

Have made Limoncello this year - when the grandchildren are going ballistic a quick shot should restore my happy face !]

Norah Sat 19-Nov-22 13:54:52

Many of the foods on your list we make only for our daughters because we don't cook with milk, butter, eggs, meat, or cheese - except if they come round. They each choose a time, separate to the others, for their Christmas with us and their family - so only four non-vegan meals. If I were to choose, for myself, I'm not as fond of trifle as other sweets, or bread sauce.

Norah Sat 19-Nov-22 13:57:11

hazel93

Have made Limoncello this year - when the grandchildren are going ballistic a quick shot should restore my happy face !]

We made our Limoncello as well, lemons were lovely this year.

Lexisgranny Sat 19-Nov-22 14:17:21

Grapefruit and gin sorbet to clear the palate between courses.
Bread Sauce, large batch made to be collected on Christmas Eve by Adult sons who would be very disappointed if I hadn’t made a batch for them to have at home, no matter where they were eating their Christmas Lunch.
Trifle, mainly for nostalgic reasons.
Otherwise nothing different from any other time of year really. A Christmas cake is, after all, a fruit cake with icing.

Redhead56 Sat 19-Nov-22 14:59:56

We never had bread sauce so I don't have it with Christmas dinner. I made Delia's to try once but it's not for me.

lixy Sat 19-Nov-22 15:17:43

I love bread sauce and it's a Christmas staple along with red cabbage, both those are on the 'to make' list. I like sprouts too. In fact the days after Christmas when no-one expects a proper meal and I can eat sprouts, apple sauce and stuffing are just the best!

I'm not a fan of and custard but do make a trifle as everyone else likes it.
I don't like Cranberry sauce in a jar so that's on the 'to make' list as well.
No one likes Christmas pud so we do something else.

MiniMoon Sat 19-Nov-22 15:29:02

We love Christmas pudding. DH and I have already consumed one!
I wouldn't have sprouts if it wasn't for DH. Bread sauce is a must with the turkey. I'll still make it this year although we have ordered a goose.
I'm not keen on Christmas cake and never make one. DH has a sister who provides him with one.

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Nov-22 15:56:21

I love all of these things.
The thing I used to cook for others on Christmas day that I really don't like and never eat is meat.

I don't cook meat now unless helping at someone else's house.

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Nov-22 15:59:02

I can't think of 6 things unless I do it this way:
Turkey
Duck
Sausages with meat
Beef
Puddings/mincemeat/pastry with real suet/lard
Meat-based gravy

grin

Urmstongran Sat 19-Nov-22 16:06:03

I don’t like bread sauce. I just don’t see the appeal so it’s one thing less to faff with.
I adore sprouts though. Properly cooked through not firm with a knob of butter and white pepper. I could just tip the pan onto my plate really but I have to share them..

I love veg.
But not aubergines.
Or courgettes.
Or butternut squash.
No to butter beans too.
Or sweet potatoes.
Parsnips - not really keen.

I like to think I’m not fussy .... 😮

Ailidh Sat 19-Nov-22 16:14:50

The best bits about Christmas dinner for me are
Bread Sauce
Sprouts
Roast Parsnips
"Stuffing"- my Mum's recipe, and I make it now, was sausagemeat, onions, oatmeal, bound with an egg, lots of salt and pepper and done in a loaf tin in the oven for about an hour. It Never went near the inside of a bird!

Give me these, and I'd be happy. Followed by a small helping of Bought Christmas pudding, never found a home made one I liked, with white, must be white custard. Yummy.

Yammy Sat 19-Nov-22 16:52:46

I suppose I am a fussy eater and don't like cooked dried fruit which such a lt of Christmas food has in it.
I'm gong to a relations this year so maybe will enjoy having things made for me. At New Year I am going to make the things I like ,like a Bouche de Noel and give in and buy somethings that I like.
This will be the first Christmas Dinner someone has made for me since I was in Hospital 40+years ago and that was atrocious.
Bread sauce seems to be one thing quite a lot don't eat.smile

HousePlantQueen Sat 19-Nov-22 17:03:29

MerylStreep

I love everything you’ve listed except for Bread Sauce.
Just what is the point of it 💁‍♀️

agreed. It is disgusting. Why, just why?

Callistemon21 Sat 19-Nov-22 17:05:45

I'd eat everything on your list, Yammy, especially if someone else has made it 🙂

I like proper bread sauce, made how my Mum used to make it. I wish I had her recipe.