Gransnet forums

Christmas

Have you had your Christmas "Twink", yet?

(42 Posts)
Yammy Sat 26-Nov-22 14:07:57

The thread about Christmas presents of the '50s reminded me of my other Christmas "Treat".
Every year at Christmas my mother home permed my hair with a product called "Twink". The result was I had to go to school with a head full of frizzy hair and sit with other girls who had been tortured the same. Did anybody else suffer the same indignity?
My gran went to the hairdressers as did many of her friends for their Christmas perm.

Blossoming Sun 27-Nov-22 11:48:50

I’m afraid that the word ‘twink’ has quite a different meaning for me!

Blondiescot Sun 27-Nov-22 12:16:34

Oh, I immediately thought of a completely different type of 'twink' and wondered why anyone on here would be getting one for Christmas! shock

pascal30 Sun 27-Nov-22 12:25:21

Yes. Chopped my beautiful long,straight hair off and did that godawful perm.. I still have the photo... and can remember the smell and discomfort of those tiny rollers with elastic

Tweedle24 Sun 27-Nov-22 12:27:27

Mine was a ‘Toni’ when I was about thirteen. Luckily, the curls had all come out by the next day and my hair was back to its normal ‘straight as a die’.

Blondiescot Sun 27-Nov-22 12:28:33

Blossoming

You and me both!

AskAlice Sun 27-Nov-22 15:13:57

Oh yes, I remember it well! From the age of about 4 - I had dead straight hair and my mum obviously wanted a curly haired little girl grin.

The rotten egg smell, the frizzy end result, the nights spent sleeping in those spikey rollers with "sausage sticks" through them to hold them in place. I particularly remember the rollers at the front in my fringe where the little sticks were pushed through onto my forehead and left an indentation there which lasted all through the next day at school!! I finally rebelled when I started secondary school...

Blossoming Sun 27-Nov-22 15:53:52

Blondiescot

Blossoming

You and me both!

Glad it’s not just me! grin

Yammy Sun 27-Nov-22 22:49:34

Blossoming

Blondiescot

Blossoming

You and me both!

Glad it’s not just me! grin

Maybe for the unenlightened, you can tell us. Twink could be bought in Woolworths can yours be bought?

Blossoming Sun 27-Nov-22 23:19:12

I have never tried to buy one Yammy. I’m sure the ‘unenlightened’ will have Google or a similar search engine if they are interested in finding out more.

Blondiescot Mon 28-Nov-22 09:59:52

Being a woman, I'd have no need to buy one wink

Yammy Mon 28-Nov-22 10:13:45

Joane123

Oh yes, I remember it so well. The Twink permed hair!
I have many pictures of me, some standing in line on the stage at Butlins Holiday camp holding a number! Not sure what sort of competition it was, my knees were black, my hair permed with a huge ribbon in it.

Joane123, you've brought back one of the memories from my childhood. You 've been in the Butlins child beauty contest, I have a photo of myself as well holding a card with a number.
We went to Ayr in Scotland with relations.
My aunt put my cousin in and they always asked where you were from,my poor cousin was so young she could only remember the street and not the town. Where we come from has close associations with Fletcher Christian of Mutiny fame and the people that interviewed the children were quite cruel after hearing the Street my cousin was asked if she was from Pitcairn, of course, she didn't know what was going on and had to be lifted of screaming. None of us was ever put through it again.
I must add the girl who won my heat had long naturally curly hair right down her back not my big Ribbon bows like yours with a short back and sides. hmm

Yammy Mon 28-Nov-22 10:22:13

Blondiescot

Blossoming

You and me both!

Well, ladies, you must mix in different circles to me I have had to Google the meaning of twink and believe me I have never had one or fancied one and was not getting backhandedly at their community.
All innocent fun from the '50s a Twink home perm.shock

nanna8 Mon 28-Nov-22 10:28:52

I’d never heard of it,either but have always had curly hair and still have. When I was young I used to straighten it on big heated rollers. We’re never happy with what we’ve got, are we ?

Grantanow Mon 28-Nov-22 12:07:51

'twink' has a rather Louche meaning in US English.

Elusivebutterfly Mon 28-Nov-22 12:17:47

My mother used to perm my hair regularly, not for Christmas. She cut and permed her own hair as well. She did not like straight hair and thought all females should have curly hair. I thought my hair looked worse curly. As a teen, the battle was me wanting long hair which my mother did not like.

None of my friends had this.

Happysexagenarian Tue 29-Nov-22 19:32:37

I remember my Mum using Twink on her own hair (and yes it was frizzy) but never on mine. My hair was naturally curly when I was little but when I started school Mum had it cut in a short bob so it would be easier to manage. The hairdresser assured my Mum it would grow curly again. It never did. So she tied it up in rags at bedtime. Mum had a friend whose daughter (same age as me) had beautiful curly hair, she admitted she had it permed twice a year. Mum was so envious.