Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Eve Meal Ideas

(99 Posts)
TheHappyGardener Mon 19-Dec-22 13:03:04

Hi there, on Christmas Day there will be 10 of us sitting down to eat, but on Christmas Eve just two of us. I will have spent most of the day prepping for the big Feast, so I’m looking for ideas for an easy but special meal for the two of us. What do you normally eat on Christmas Eve?

Doodledog Mon 19-Dec-22 13:06:53

I am doing three cheese macaroni cheese by request of my daughter. Smoked, cheddar and parmesan in the sauce, and mixed with seeds and breadcrumbs on the topping before baking.

Probably not special enough to qualify, but she likes it, it's easy and I won't mind binning any leftovers if there's no room in the fridge for the Christmas things.

Aldom Mon 19-Dec-22 13:07:35

Lots of people have a fish pie or casserole on Christmas eve.

Lathyrus Mon 19-Dec-22 13:08:22

Takeaway pizza.

Sorry😳

Purplepixie Mon 19-Dec-22 13:13:10

Egg and chips, plain and simple and not much washing up.

dragonfly46 Mon 19-Dec-22 13:18:53

We are going out to eat!

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 19-Dec-22 13:27:27

We always have fish pie. Younger son will be making it. We put smoked fish, white fish, prawns and hard boiled eggs in ours and top it with mashed potato. With a glass or two of fizz, it is definitely special.

Jaxjacky Mon 19-Dec-22 13:32:40

I always make crispy duck with pancakes, granddaughter has vegetarian duck (don’t ask!). One large duck, I buy the pancakes, plum sauce and slice cucumbers with spring onions.
Everyone enjoys it, little clearing up and the duck fat is used for roasties the next day.

Judy54 Mon 19-Dec-22 13:36:34

We are having spaghetti bolognaise. The sauce is in the freezer so just needs defrosting and pop some pasta on done! Oh yes and a glass (or two) of bubbly!

Visgir1 Mon 19-Dec-22 13:38:48

Take away or Ready meal from M&S.
Never cooked on Christmas eve, especially when I was working.
Not starting now.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 19-Dec-22 13:42:19

Mmm macaroni cheese ...yum. I'll have any leftovers Doodledog.

Ziplok Mon 19-Dec-22 13:48:20

Fish pie is the usual meal for us on Christmas Eve, but this year I’m going to make a seafood paella, for a change.

TheHappyGardener Mon 19-Dec-22 13:49:09

Jaxjacky

I always make crispy duck with pancakes, granddaughter has vegetarian duck (don’t ask!). One large duck, I buy the pancakes, plum sauce and slice cucumbers with spring onions.
Everyone enjoys it, little clearing up and the duck fat is used for roasties the next day.

Funnily enough, I’d thought about doing this too!

And fish pie is a good idea - I’ve done it before on Christmas Eve but it never fails to please does it?

kittylester Mon 19-Dec-22 13:57:46

We are having sirloin steak sliced on salad (it has a name - but I've been poorly and I've forgotten it grin) it's a Nigella and DH is cooking it!

Barmeyoldbat Mon 19-Dec-22 14:12:47

Well we were going to have ham, egg and chips but you have me all thinking, might do a nice salad with new potatoes and either steak or fish

Joseanne Mon 19-Dec-22 14:16:19

Lathyrus

Takeaway pizza.

Sorry😳

grin

Homemade pizza.

Beauregard Mon 19-Dec-22 14:30:18

We always have leeks wrapped in slices of ham, covered in a cheese sauce and baked in the oven. Served with jacket potatoes.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Dec-22 14:36:31

We are having venison and beef casserole with dried fruits like apricots and prunes and spices. Mashed potato, plus veg.

Mincemeat and apple pie and ice cream.

Norah Mon 19-Dec-22 14:48:09

We used to be carnivores grin and always had salmon coulibiac. Now we vegans have Indian tomato soup, basmati, naan, salad, rice pud.

No wonder our family eat elsewhere during festive season grin

M0nica Mon 19-Dec-22 14:50:57

Three of us: Fondue followed by turning the egg yolks left over from icing the cake into Zabaglione, if I have any Marsala in the house, otherwise Sabayon, using sherry.

aonk Mon 19-Dec-22 14:55:07

M and S salmon en croute with potato croquettes and broccoli.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 19-Dec-22 15:03:46

There will be four of us on Christmas Eve.

We will order from our favourite Chinese Takeaway, definitely crispy duck pancakes to start, then different dishes to share.

Lucca Mon 19-Dec-22 15:11:41

Shepherds pie

Yammy Mon 19-Dec-22 15:16:19

Usually, Merry Berrys fish pie with a souffle topping seems to go down well with all. Don't know this year we will be at DD hopefully. I suspect fish pie as she has a very good fishmonger in her town.

lixy Mon 19-Dec-22 15:27:08

Salmon, oven chips and a salad as usual for us - I've cooked this for any number from 2 to 15 over the years!
One year some Polish friends staying with us baked a pike, eaten with pickled cabbage, boiled potatoes and caraway seeds.