Gransnet forums

Christmas

New Years eve

(37 Posts)
Coco1 Thu 29-Dec-22 17:48:36

Just wondered how people on here feel about joining their adult children on NYEve? Are you invited to their party or not? I feel a bit disappointed we haven’t been included in the celebration. We have just had Christmas together but are close to them and although I have been asked about food, drinks and outfits etc no inclusion which I feel a bit hurt about. We have spent a couple of NYEve together over the years but no invite this time and they know we are not doing anything. Maybe I am being over sensitive and will obviously not say anything as we get on so well.

Caleo Sat 31-Dec-22 11:55:36

I am sad that Hogmanay is all about parties. I wish for quiet friendship at Hogmanay . If wishes were horses beggars would ride, so I make the most of Hogmanay by myself.

dragonfly46 Sat 31-Dec-22 11:39:47

Fanny I am still recovering from hosting Christmas and spoiling the grandchildren! I think I will be in bed by 9!!

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Dec-22 11:16:02

dragonfly46

No I wouldn't expect or want to go to our AC for New Years Eve. It is for the young who have more stamina!

My aunty is a very sociable sort with loads of friends.
Every NYE she goes to some fabulous party - but my up until her early 90’s my late Nan used to insist that she take her as well!

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Dec-22 11:13:13

Hello Blossoming smile
I get sensory overload too.
I went for years putting up with noisy clubs, gigs and parties.
Such a relief that I don’t have to do that anymore

dragonfly46 Sat 31-Dec-22 11:12:30

No I wouldn't expect or want to go to our AC for New Years Eve. It is for the young who have more stamina!

Blossoming Sat 31-Dec-22 11:09:16

I can’t cope with noisy crowded parties, the sensory overload makes me physically ill. Ironic really, as pre brain injury I used to be the one hosting the noisy crowded parties grin

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Dec-22 10:20:55

Cabbie it sounds lovely, enjoy yourself 🥂

Cabbie21 Sat 31-Dec-22 10:19:53

For the first time in about 40 years I am going to a party at my daughter’s house. It is my granddaughter’s 18th birthday tomorrow. Family only, three generations. Lots of “ steps” too, good that we can all mix for the occasion. I hope I can stay awake.

FannyCornforth Sat 31-Dec-22 10:14:05

I’ve always hated NYE too, even more so the past 20 years with dogs.
It’s at totally the wrong time of year too, New Year should logically, and quite literally naturally, be in the Spring.
🌸 🐣 🌞 🌱

nanna8 Sat 31-Dec-22 06:29:27

Good grief,no. I wouldn’t want them with my friends and I wouldn’t want to be round theirs. When they were under 16 we used to have big parties with everyone but as adults, nah, just wouldn’t mix thinking of their ghastly music choices, for one thing. .

Grammaretto Sat 31-Dec-22 05:43:50

I'm with Maw!
DD has friends to stay at NY . They are rural. They have a bonfire and no I have not been invited.
Definitely for friends and neighbours.
There are fireworks in Edinburgh and a bonfire in Biggar.

Grams2five Sat 31-Dec-22 05:19:32

We will spend it with the grands this year as their parents are off to a friends party. But that’s the most we ever do

Tenko Fri 30-Dec-22 18:09:05

No , my AC do their own thing at NYE . And we do our thing . Sometimes we go to our local pub or to a neighbours house . Sometimes we stay home with some fizz and an early night .
The Christmas period for us is quite busy and hectic , so it’s nice to chill at new year . Having said that , I’m not a fan of NYE . By the 31st I’m knackered, and sick of eating and drinking ! .

Yammy Fri 30-Dec-22 15:57:02

MawtheMerrier

Oh no!
Granny in the corner? I don’t think so!

I agree Maw or granny the stirrer like Joanna Lumley in "Motherlands."
Christmas family, New year friends for all ages.

Mattsmum2 Fri 30-Dec-22 15:02:09

My partner and I spend NYE alone at his place. We have a lunch out at a local restaurant or pub and then nibbles and fizz in the evening. See midnight and then head to bed. My daughter and son in law are having a house party for their friends and although I live with them I would rather spend it with my partner and the dog 🥂

Kate1949 Fri 30-Dec-22 14:51:07

No. We have never joined our daughter and her family on NYE or Christmas Day.

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Dec-22 10:33:46

MawtheMerrier

Oh no!

With a bottle of gin 😂

Dibbydod Thu 29-Dec-22 23:56:01

MawtheMerrier

Oh no!

Can just picture it 😳😅

AussieGran59 Thu 29-Dec-22 23:55:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Zoejory Thu 29-Dec-22 23:53:39

Never had a NYE with our adult children. Probably due to the fact none of us enjoy NYE. Great when in teens/20s, but since then we've mostly stayed in. The amount of fibs I've had to tell.

MawtheMerrier Thu 29-Dec-22 23:50:07

Oh no!

Maggiemaybe Thu 29-Dec-22 23:48:26

Yes, we’ve always had Christmas with our family, but not New Year’s Eve, not since the DC left home anyway. smile Our NYE celebrations are a bit quieter these days, but we’ll still see the New Year in at a house party with good friends.

AussieGran59 Thu 29-Dec-22 22:38:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kim19 Thu 29-Dec-22 21:54:53

Like my kids to do NY with their friends. I do childminding if asked but quietly celebrate midnight all cosily in bed. Bliss.

Witzend Thu 29-Dec-22 21:49:51

Dd1 is having a party and has invited us, which was very nice, but we said no thanks - for a start they’re 60 miles away, secondly, all their friends are around 30 years younger, and thirdly, we stopped wanting to party on NYE decades ago.

I dare say we’ll wait up for Big Ben and have a glass of fizz, but that’s it. A pair of right boring old farts now, but we don’t care.