Gransnet forums

Classics

Denture and a date - Help!

(84 Posts)
Deni1963 Thu 15-Mar-18 13:15:15

So Ive been chatting to a lovely man 61 - I'm 54. He is funny, charming and makes me smile.
He is driving down Saturday night to meet. And staying over night in a very lovely hotel which has the best restaurant here, so he doesn't have to worry about having a few glasses of wine.
My question is I'm nervous. I have a partial denture with plate. And if we became intimate in the future I'm worried. I haven't told him.
He admits he is a little superficial - do you think I should tell him before anything happens? Or would he not notice.... anyone else been in a similar situation? ?

Grampie Fri 16-Mar-18 10:38:47

My teeth (my own) are so sharp and jagged they lacerate my wife’s tongue.

...so lips only and no tongues.

I really need a complete set of implants but my wife says we cannot afford them.

LouLou21 Fri 16-Mar-18 10:43:54

I’ve had a partial plate for 35 years my husband still does not know! I can assure you if you don’t want to tell him he probably won’t find out.

ReadyMeals Fri 16-Mar-18 10:53:00

He might not like kissing, not everyone does.

Milly Fri 16-Mar-18 11:13:01

I also recommend Fixodent. I've done bit of kissing even tho I'm in my 80s! So is he! He also has a denture well stuck in with Fixodent. Good luck, enjoy yourself

Juggernaut Fri 16-Mar-18 11:18:25

Unless he has a tongue like an anteater, he won't notice a partial denture!
Have a lovely date!

Marthjolly1 Fri 16-Mar-18 11:30:20

I don't have dentures but 18 months ago I entered into a new relationship after a number of years on my own. Good luck. I hope all goes well for you.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 16-Mar-18 11:37:48

Sazz1006
I really should get a life but have visions grinof your little pot, with its occupants, waiting for the alarm to go off.

gretta Fri 16-Mar-18 11:40:28

I have a partial denture & so has my other half.
Have never had any problems re kissing, nor do we take them out at night, that would be a real passion killer.

Emptynester Fri 16-Mar-18 12:25:04

Marieeluz, I was told by my horrible horrible dentist that because I have Osteoporosis, there was no way anyone would be prepared to do implants for me. I insisted he refer me anyway to a private practice that did this work for them and the reaction was very different! They were more than happy to perform the procedure but I did need to have a bone implant first. After having all the work done I transferred to the private practice for the rest of my dental needs as they were so positive whereas he had been negative and on a few occasions downright nasty. They were quite reluctant for me to start using them, but I did say that if any comments were made I would be more than happy to explain exactly why I was not happy with the original practice. All this was over 4 years ago now, when we had first moved to this area and had been my very first negative experience with a dentist - a very big shock to the system.. I am more than happy with things these days and do recommend my dentist willingly. Yes it is expensive, but to me worth every penny, I don’t drink or smoke and would happily do without a lot of things to pay for my teeth.

goldengirl Fri 16-Mar-18 12:32:38

Go for it Denil963 - just make sure you've used a suitable adhesive. I've had dentures for a couple of years now and forget all about them thanks to Fixodent - and noone's even noticed as they're not 'pearly' but 'normal' looking. Don't worry about it - just have fun.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 16-Mar-18 12:41:09

Maybe he has dentures or a wooden leg he hadn’t told you about. Just enjoy your time with him and don’t worry

grandtanteJE65 Fri 16-Mar-18 12:53:17

Please do stop worrying about your dentures! I have my own teeth DH has a partial upper plate and a full lower plate and I can honestly say it has not made any difference.

At first, last year when he first got them, he was naturally a little self-concious, but it honestly makes no difference to me whether he has them in or out of his mouth when we are kissing.

If anyone is so superficial that your dentures worry him, then I would take it as a good indication that you might enjoy his company as a friend, but not as anything more than that.

If you like him, you could ask him what he meant by calling himself superficial. To me it sounds as if he is deliberately putting himself down - perhaps a comment from an ex?

Happysexagenarian Fri 16-Mar-18 12:54:23

Marieeliz I have sent you a p.m.

Sazz1006 Fri 16-Mar-18 13:07:14

Sarahellenwhitney smile!! That made me laugh! Was a singular tooth on what looked like a Lakeland product for crimping pies. As for not taking it out, as the denture was in preparation for an implant I had to leave it out overnight to allow the gum/bone to rebuild.

gmelon Fri 16-Mar-18 13:09:50

Prolonged kissing of a new partner can cause a sore throat.
Something to do with unfamiliar bacteria from his/her mouth.
Don't know anything about teeth though. Sorry.

David1968 Fri 16-Mar-18 13:52:14

DH has a partial denture and already had it when I met him, 36 years ago. He mentioned it early on, I wasn't bothered by this, and I can honestly say I've never noticed it when kissing. (And there's still a lot of kissing..... )

Deni1963 Fri 16-Mar-18 14:02:43

Thank you all so so much. I will update if it goes as far as kissing ..... mine is an upper plate holding 3 teeth and I don't usually use fixodent as it's pretty secure but maybe I will. I'm so so nervous!

ExaltedWombat Fri 16-Mar-18 15:06:57

Now, if it gets a LOT more intimate, ladies sans teeth are VERY popular!

Urmstongran Fri 16-Mar-18 15:15:55

I don’t think your anxiety is just about the dentures here Denil963. He has already admitted he is a little superficial. You are aware his expectations are high. Enough to make anyone a little nervous - own teeth or not!

Urmstongran Fri 16-Mar-18 15:17:26

Yes, gmelon - glandular fever was known as ‘the kissing disease’ !

Urmstongran Fri 16-Mar-18 15:20:46

Actually grandtanteJE65 I took this comment about superficiality to be more of an admission by him that appearances are very important to him.

pollyperkins Fri 16-Mar-18 18:26:11

Well I had a partial.denture with just one tooth when I met my husband nore than 40 years ago -and he never noticed!! He found out later of course but it was years before I had it replaced by a bridge. Never used any fixodent or similar - just no need!

Deni1963 Fri 16-Mar-18 20:51:06

Yes perhaps I feel his expectations are high. Superficial is what he said and it's a poor trait of his. I might not feel too confident with that in mind - we will see. Think of me tomorrow evening!

MissAdventure Sat 17-Mar-18 00:40:12

Someone I know, who had full upper and lower dentures kept them a secret for years.
Her fixodent was kept in the thumb of a mitten, which was hidden under a loose floorboard beneath her bedside cabinet.
And if she recognises this, I'm dead!

Apricity Sat 17-Mar-18 04:42:40

Discussing your dentures or anything similar on a first date comes into the too much information category and probably a bit of a passion killer. Enjoy the date, keep things light and pleasant. It's just a first date not an international treaty. ?