Gransnet forums

Classics

Denture and a date - Help!

(84 Posts)
Deni1963 Thu 15-Mar-18 13:15:15

So Ive been chatting to a lovely man 61 - I'm 54. He is funny, charming and makes me smile.
He is driving down Saturday night to meet. And staying over night in a very lovely hotel which has the best restaurant here, so he doesn't have to worry about having a few glasses of wine.
My question is I'm nervous. I have a partial denture with plate. And if we became intimate in the future I'm worried. I haven't told him.
He admits he is a little superficial - do you think I should tell him before anything happens? Or would he not notice.... anyone else been in a similar situation? ?

BlueBelle Sat 17-Mar-18 06:07:08

The fact that even though only at the chatting stage he has told you he is superficial would be far more of a worry than a partial denture to me
Hope he’s not
Best wishes

MeggyMay Sat 17-Mar-18 07:09:34

I've recently started internet dating, widowed just over two years ago. Having kissed no other man for around fifty years, I'm a wee shade nervous. Now, I've met a man who clearly has lots of kissing in mind - must admit my plate hadn't worried me one bit - till now!!

MeggyMay Sat 17-Mar-18 07:23:16

Widowed just over two years, married for many years before, I've now met a lovely man who clearly has lots of kissing in mind. Before reading this thread I admit my dentures hadn't worried me that much; but now they do!

tiredoldwoman Sat 17-Mar-18 07:31:08

Date night , Deni !
I looked at your photo - you're absolutely gorgeous - you're going to get that snog ! He's a lucky man ! Good luck for tonight .

Deni1963 Sat 17-Mar-18 09:16:10

I'm so glad I posted this because at least I have somewhere wonderful people here who give such great advice - thank you all ! I will be sure to update how it goes !

Gilly1952 Sat 17-Mar-18 09:54:32

Good luck for tonight! Hope you have a lovely time, please keep us all posted! You know we are all thinking of you. I am sure this dating game gets harder as we get older. I think with age, we must become more choosey - and why not? He is probably more nervous than you! Take care, keep safe - and have a great time! xx

Deni1963 Sat 17-Mar-18 11:34:25

Thanks Gilly.... yes I think much harder as we get older. Perhaps because we know what we want more. Sadly the denture has knocked my confidence for six.

Deni1963 Sat 17-Mar-18 11:35:14

Good luck Meggy x

Deni1963 Sat 17-Mar-18 11:37:03

Loulou21. .... does your hubby not feel it when you kiss?

MissAdventure Sat 17-Mar-18 13:04:21

I have felt a denture plate when kissing someone.
Plastic feels different to gum..
Would it not be easier just to tell this man?
If his reaction is bad, it tells you more about him than it does about someone having a few false teeth.

ReadyMeals Sat 17-Mar-18 15:32:43

I don't see why being put off by the idea of kissing a dental plate should mean the man is incapable of true love? My mother told me a story of when she was dating my father. They were playing that game of "if you love me you'll ... " and my mother came up with "if you love me you'll use my toothbrush" and he just couldn't do it. It was a point of squeamishness for him. They were together for 30 years, until death did them part. Some people may prefer you to remove the plate before deep kissing, others will prefer it to stay in at all times, and others still won't like deep kissing at all. All these people will be perfectly loving and lovable.

Sazz1006 Sun 18-Mar-18 13:57:48

Wonder how Deni1963 got on wink?

Gilly1952 Sun 18-Mar-18 14:46:11

Hope she’s ok! Can’t wait to hear from her. Let’s hope the date wasn’t cancelled due to bad weather!

Deni1963 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:57:10

Hey.
What can I say? The date was good, lovely man, funny, bright. But I felt not one ounce of desire to snog him. He looked different to the photos - so I'd worried about it so much ! Ended the night with a peck on the mouth. But I wasn't going any further ?

gmelon Sun 18-Mar-18 17:13:28

Sending you a hug.
That's the trouble with photos, they are two dimensional.
Don't stop Internet dating.
I'd say meet as many as you can, take it far less seriously, that attraction and instant easiness could appear with one of the many.

Urmstongran Sun 18-Mar-18 17:16:04

Glad you enjoyed your date night Denil963. Physical attraction is a biggie isn’t it? I’ve never done it, but I think that’s why the concept of ‘speed dating’ is a good one! I bet a few minutes with someone would be long enough to know whether or not there is a spark. Or obvious dentures.....

MissAdventure Sun 18-Mar-18 17:18:01

I'm glad it went ok, deni.
At least you had a nice time, and he was a decent man.
Phew! smile

gmelon Sun 18-Mar-18 17:23:56

Schools, college, university, clubs. When we were young life was teeming with possible love interests. Probably hundreds over the years.

In my experience there were scant few that I was attracted to. These young men shone out of the crowd in my eyes. Not the best looking ones either.
Other girls had their eye on someone else. We are attracted to different things and it would be a miracle if the right man turned up from the Internet first time.

Hence my advice that you'll need to meet many, many, men to find your special one.
Then with luck he'll feel the same about you.

Sazz1006 Sun 18-Mar-18 17:58:23

Im glad you had a pleasant evening Deni1963 but just put down to experience. You’ve done your first internet date now . Like I said earlier, it’s so easy to think that after chatting on line and phone, meeting is just going to be a formality and you’ll fall for each other on sight but after my 30 dates, I would advise anyone internet dating to meet up as soon as possible. I could write a book on my experiences but in the end I met my DH2in a kebab shop at 2.30 in the morning after a night out with my (also single) girlfriends doing things we should have done in our 20s. It was 7 years later when we got together but each internet experience taught me what I didn’t want as well as what I did. Keep on keeping on!

Gilly1952 Sun 18-Mar-18 18:39:39

Glad you got on ok Deni and are safe and sound - friends used to tell me to be careful when I went on these dates! I always used to meet in the daytime, mainly because I couldn't see too well to drive at night, but also, meeting in the daytime felt more relaxed, more casual and less of a “date”. So many of the men I met were a disappointment. They might sound ok and just what I was looking for, but if the chemistry was not right and there was no “spark” and you couldn’t bear the thought of kissing them, let alone anything else, well what was the point? Some people say there is more to a relationship than the physical side, but then we are all different. That old saying about having to kiss a lot of frogs is certainly true! Good luck for your next date! x

Deni1963 Sun 18-Mar-18 18:48:11

Thank you all for your amazing support. I think if there is no spark at all its unfair to venture further with it. I wish I had felt it after all the worry. But one down and I will maybe see .... not quite sure I'm cut out for it to be honest. I think meeting someone quickly rather than lots of calls etc is good advice. Saves the huge build up and then let down for both.
I will hopefully be back for more advice!

Sazz1006 Sun 18-Mar-18 19:47:10

I found this polite way of saying ‘thanks but no thanks’ online and I used it with my own personalisation
‘Thank you for taking the time to meet with me, I really appreciated it and enjoyed the day but didn’t feel like there was any chemistry between us, and thats what I’m looking for right now. I wish you the very best in your search for someone, I’m sure it will be soon. Thanks again.’ Sazz

Deni1963 Mon 19-Mar-18 18:26:53

Hi Sazz - that's a good polite way ? I had a lunch date today with my ex husband, although we are still married. Long horrible story. Buthe ended up kissing him ( no open mouths). But forgot the denture in that moment!

Spangles1963 Tue 20-Mar-18 19:29:41

He's a little superficial? Really?!

Deni1963 Wed 21-Mar-18 13:49:45

His words yes.