Gransnet forums

Classics

Are you woke?

(132 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Mon 27-Jan-20 17:06:00

Disclaimer: I have nothing against veganism. Each to their own.

I bought this (pictured) in Morrison's a couple of days ago. It's vegan mould and mildew remover! I looked at other products that tackle this job. All have similar ingredients, none of which are derived from animals. I bought this one because it was only £1. The others were much dearer for less product! I'm glad to report that it did an excellent job but really??? Vegan!

M0nica Mon 27-Jan-20 17:10:55

Ah, yes, like vegan peanutbutter, which I saw recently. There was also a message on it that said Warning: may contain nuts confused

NanKate Mon 27-Jan-20 17:29:56

I don’t know what woke means.

GagaJo Mon 27-Jan-20 17:40:23

Eyes are open and I'm talking (typing) so I think I might be.

Auntieflo Mon 27-Jan-20 17:40:41

NanKate, I also do not know what it means, but I do dislike the word.

merlotgran Mon 27-Jan-20 17:45:07

According to google it means, Alert to injustice in society, especially racism.

It's the words 'alert to' that bug me. It smacks of virtue signalling. Antenna always twitching.

I prefer 'Aware of'

Coolgran65 Mon 27-Jan-20 17:47:51

Thank you. I didn't know what 'woke' meant either.

Alishka Mon 27-Jan-20 17:50:50

Nor me. Thanks for the explanation.

SirChenjin Mon 27-Jan-20 18:00:26

I saw a nice pair of what I thought were sheepskin slippers in a little shop recently and went to check with the Assistant if the sheepskin and lining were real. She didn’t say yes or no as you’d expect - she said “they’re vegan” confused. It took me a while to work out what she meant!

DoraMarr Mon 27-Jan-20 18:00:56

I hope so. I try to be fair and unbiased, and I look back to those times when I was a victim or a witness to sexism, for example, and am glad things have moved on. I’d like to think that my grandchildren, regardless of gender, sexuality, ethnicity or creed, would be judged on their merits. “Woke” is just using an existing word as a new expression, and there’s nothing wrong with this. “Nice”, for instance, has had different meanings over time: originally it meant simple. Silly meant holy or blessed, “meat” just meant food.

SirChenjin Mon 27-Jan-20 18:03:29

The Urban Dictionary (which doesn’t pull its punches!) defines ‘woke’ in the way it’s come to be understood - “The act of being very pretentious about how much you care about a social issue:

Yeah most people don't care about parking spaces for families with disabled pets. I wish they were woke like me.”

sharon103 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:11:22

That's brilliant stuff. I use it in the bathroom on the tiles. The best you can buy. I didn't know it was vegan though.

GrandmaKT Mon 27-Jan-20 18:21:28

Ah, thanks sharon, now I understand! It's a household cleaner. Because the OP said it was labelled as vegan, I spent the whole thread thinking it was something to remove mold and mildew from food!

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:27:43

Like DoraMarr, I hope I'm aware of social injustice. I dislike the term 'woke' intensely because of the way it's being used. It's shorthand for 'politically correct' another lazy way to describe people who try to avoid using words, for example , that may hurt of offend others.
Sneering, that's what it is. Rather unpleasant and best avoided humph.

MissAdventure Mon 27-Jan-20 18:29:59

I saw a vegan sofa for sale the other day.
I must say, I'm not sure I could eat a whole one.

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:31:47

MissAdventure, maybe we could organise one of those GN virtual parties, and all eat the sofa

MissAdventure Mon 27-Jan-20 18:33:50

smile
That sounds like it could be fun. Hope its a 3 seater.

SueDonim Mon 27-Jan-20 19:52:07

I bought two ring donuts recently and they were labelled vegan. I wasn’t bothered one way or another but asked the shop about them. Apparently, they’ve always been vegan but now they label them as such. grin

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 20:04:05

It's a good idea to label food and other items (including sofas as shoes) as vegan. I'm light years away from being vegan but could pass as a vegetarian if I had to. Eat meat 2 or 3 times a week, that's been the case for years.
I do have vegan friends and knowing I could by donuts if they were calling for a cuppa, well that's good

SueDonim Mon 27-Jan-20 20:19:40

I don’t think we’re supposed to name names, Iam64, but they were from a well known high street baker that also sells vegan sausage rolls. grin

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jan-20 20:20:22

Aldi are currently selling vegan make up remover wipes. They're as bad for the environment regarding disposal as the regular ones so not that "woke". It seems to be a fad to slap vegan on anything and it's immediately "better". hmm

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 20:26:47

Ah vegan sausage rolls - what could possibly go wrong.

SirChenjin Mon 27-Jan-20 20:27:23

Aldi now do vegan sausage rolls and they’re not half bad

toscalily Mon 27-Jan-20 23:29:04

I was in Aldi today and noticed there was a product labeled vegetable "meatballs" grin Also, I woke up this morning and and I'm still awake now reading this!
I find the word 'woke" irritating in the way it is now being used, seems to be popping up all over the place even on Gransnet.

giulia Tue 28-Jan-20 06:39:05

toscalily The vegetable "meatballs" you saw were probably made with aubergines. My husband makes them and it's true you cannot tell the difference. We are NOT vegans!