Gransnet forums

Classics

Are you woke?

(133 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Mon 27-Jan-20 17:06:00

Disclaimer: I have nothing against veganism. Each to their own.

I bought this (pictured) in Morrison's a couple of days ago. It's vegan mould and mildew remover! I looked at other products that tackle this job. All have similar ingredients, none of which are derived from animals. I bought this one because it was only £1. The others were much dearer for less product! I'm glad to report that it did an excellent job but really??? Vegan!

kittylester Tue 28-Jan-20 07:26:31

I'm somewhat cheesed (!!!!) off with vegans.

I haven't eaten gluten for years and was enjoying the fact that gf awareness had risen. All of a sudden I find lots of stuff is now gf and vegan which is not the same thing at all.

craftergran Tue 28-Jan-20 07:41:26

I am just glad someone explained what woke was. I couldnt be bothered looking it up.

BBbevan Tue 28-Jan-20 07:44:44

Yes thank you. Just waiting for my early morning cuppa ?????

Calendargirl Tue 28-Jan-20 07:45:20

Why call them meatballs though? In all seriousness, why not call them ‘aubergineballs’ as that is what they are?

NanKate Tue 28-Jan-20 07:50:34

Thanks for the explanations.. I’m glad I am not the only one who was in the dark about the meaning.

I wonder if I am ‘unwoke’ ?

PamelaJ1 Tue 28-Jan-20 07:57:18

I’m very unwoke nanKate.
It doesn’t seem to be causing me many problems, all the people I talk to are unwoke too.
That’s probably because we are old, you see - I’ve just proved that I am not woke to ageism.

Nannan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 09:53:22

I was 'woke' at 5.50 by a very bad cough,and now im about to try catch up on a bit of sleep theres a blinking load of noise outside by someone either tree cutting or a motorbike revving or some such so im not best pleased!angry

Yearoff Tue 28-Jan-20 09:54:09

I think veganism is a life choice. No animal products or testing. So vegan shampoo toiletries and cosmetics not tested on animals. I presume the same for cleaning products. This was explained to me by a vegan when I mocked vegan shampoo saying “are you going to be eating that”.

Neilspurgeon0 Tue 28-Jan-20 09:58:43

I rather think that “woke” is supposed to mean what we used to call “with it”. I was in 1967, today life is far too interesting and I am much to busy to bovver wiv that sort of trendy trash, so no, i is unawakened and verra happy to be so.

CardiffJaguar Tue 28-Jan-20 09:58:55

'woke' is a political concept. I said this many months ago. You only have to see just how many companies and politicians are intent on being woke. Awful word and awful reactions.

cangran Tue 28-Jan-20 10:02:18

I know it bothers some meat-eaters when vegetarian products are called something meaty. But what's in your hotdog meat eaters?

Nannan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 10:02:26

And all this stuff for vegans and gluten free is ticking me off cause theres hardly anything to advertise LACTOSE FREE,and theres been a shortage of the products since before xmas of lactose free items in every shop- dairy free too takes a back seat to veganism,even though a dietary requirement should take precedence over a lifestyle choice i thinkhmm( i bet you wish you'd never asked now don't you?!not whilst I'm sleep-deprived?hmm

Lxrl Tue 28-Jan-20 10:03:14

@Chewbacca that just means they've not been tested on animals, which is better than them being tested on animals... I'm not a vegan but its not rocket science either

Lxrl Tue 28-Jan-20 10:04:03

@Nannan2 if something is vegan it is automatically dairy free, there is your answer. Saying both dairy free and vegan is redundant.

polnan Tue 28-Jan-20 10:04:15

tell me, what is the point of being "aware" or "alert" to injustice and we do NOTHING about it?

Doodledog Tue 28-Jan-20 10:06:23

I was just going to say that, Yesroff.

It isn’t just about food, but not using anything that derives from animals. My young niece and her family are vegan, and it is not an easy lifestyle choice, but it is born of kindness and high principles. It’s a pity that there is so much sneering, as it harms nobody, and it’s good for the planet if at least some of us do it.

‘Woke’ generally is often the same - anti-racism, sexism and discrimination of all sorts. Nothing wrong with that, if it’s not used to make the non-woke (snoozing? grin ) feel foolish, which it can be. That’s often down to immaturity, though. Where it’s not, it’s bad manners, and that should be addressed rather than the wokeness itself, I think.

Doodledog Tue 28-Jan-20 10:07:56

Sorry, Yearoff!

Nannan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 10:11:53

And yes i do realise GF is also dietary requirement,but its not the ONLY one,is it? I ask in supermarkets about the free from range,and its first thing out of their mouth, "oh,our gluten free range is over here" they say all smug cause theyre catering for alternative diets- same with all the soya stuff- well ive got GC who cant have dairy,OR soya,soya is like poison to them- but loads of 'alternative' free from foods have soya lecithin in them! Come on shops! Stock for ALL alternative diets,not just one or two! hmmangry

Barmeyoldbat Tue 28-Jan-20 10:12:21

I didn't know what woke was, kept reading it and couldn't make head or tale of its meaning. Now know the meaning and its an American African word. So could they please keep in in the US

Nannan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 10:19:40

Lxrl, Requiring a dairy free diet for medical reasons though,is NOT the same as choosing to eat a vegan diet for a lifestyle choice,so,therefore NOT redundant for my pointhmm

GrannySomerset Tue 28-Jan-20 10:20:25

How will the planet be saved if the same population has to be plant fed? Surely the real problem is that there are just too many people?

Nannan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 10:30:22

Im also ticked off with some oldies latching on to a 'trendy' word and trying to thrash us all with it early on a morning to prove they are all 'down with the kids' and we arent!hmm

Nannan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 10:34:12

Yes GrannySomerset,i was thinking that too! If we all start eating plants& veg,then there wouldnt be enough of them either- also,its not going to help the cows,pigs,sheep,etc that are already here if we just stop eating meat,and they need plan food too.

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Jan-20 10:34:15

Yes, Barmeyoldbat I read that 'woke' was a term coined by black Americans in the 1960s so could today's mainly white, middle class, millennial, woke generation be accused of cultural appropriation? ???

Bluebird64 Tue 28-Jan-20 10:37:32

Great that you've found a vegan mould remover! But I HATE that word 'woke' when used as an adjective. I first saw it in a posh newspaper and now it has migrated to my own favoured paper, first used by journalists and now also by readers. Who decides on these words or phrases that we're all supposed to cling to like limpets? Oh my days!!!!!!