Gransnet forums

Competitions

Competition: Win £100 voucher and one of 50 copies of Tiger Days. **NOW CLOSED**

(261 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Aug-16 15:06:56

At Willowgate House, no day is ever dull for Tiger! Win a £100 voucher and one of 50 copies of this heart-warming tale about animals, adventure and the special relationship between a grandmother and her grandchild, by bestselling author Sarah Lean.

When nine-year-old Tiger Days stays with her grandmother at Willowgate House she never knows what might happen… new friends to meet, animals to rescue and problems to solve!

Tiger returns to Willowgate and discovers someone, or something, has been digging up plants, burying eggs and even taking socks from the washing line! And a mysterious tunnel has appeared under the shed… Tiger and her friend Tom turn detective - determined to solve the mystery.

Tiger Days has beautiful black-and-white illustrations throughout and is suitable for children 7+.

To be in with a chance to win a £100 voucher and one of 50 copies of Tiger Days, tell us what makes your relationship with your grandchild special.

Can't wait? Purchase your copy of Tiger Days on Amazon or from all good booksellers, and find out more about the author Sarah Lean on her website.

Download an extract from chapter one of Tiger here.

This competition closes at midday on 14 November 2016.

fourormore Tue 30-Aug-16 16:55:50

Granddad and I are completely mad which the GC find hilarious!
When we are on childcare duty we always do crazy things that Mummy and Daddy don't have the time to do. Every day is an adventure.
We had the two middle GD (aged 6 and 4) this morning and we went on a rhino hunt!
Yes honestly!
Our local zoo has model rhinos scattered around the bay in the streets, various places of interest and 'touristy'places and every time we found one I took their photo with whichever Rhino it was! Each rhino has been individually decorated by various schools, businesses etc. so each one is totally unique.
We returned the girls home to Mummy, totally exhausted (us not the girls!) having found and photographed 22 different rhinos!
There are still several more to find but that's for another day!
grin

Samie Tue 30-Aug-16 16:57:53

So many, but it's nice to be included in my three year old grandson's list of best friends

fourormore Tue 30-Aug-16 16:59:27

Samie, that's so cute - gives you a lovely warm feeling doesn't it when they say something like that! Bless him!

mikeh31 Wed 31-Aug-16 03:17:58

Too be invited to my grandchilds birthdays is always special for me.

joannapiano Wed 31-Aug-16 13:51:46

DH and myself are very happy that our 8 DGC treat our house as a second home. (Although we can't have then all sleepover at the same time due to lack of space!)

KyleofLochalsh Wed 31-Aug-16 17:30:12

I woke up one morning remembering a disturbing dream I had where i had discovered a baby hidden under my teenaged daughters bed.

It was so realistic that I went to tell her about it while it was still fresh in my memory. While I was telling her ,rattling on about the minor details , I realised she was crying. I asked her what was the matter and she confessed that she was pregnant but hadnt know how to tell me...

And that is how our beautiful ,albeit unexpected, granddaughter came into our lives and changed it for the better .

hjw2505 Wed 31-Aug-16 20:04:41

I was lucky enough to be at my eldest granddaughter's birth and believe that has given us a special bond. Her mum works full time so when GD stays with me I make sure we spend time on simple things lime, craft, cooking etc, the things her Mum does not really get time for

Irma Thu 01-Sep-16 11:25:32

So far we've only seen our first GC on a scan. He or she is going to be so loved and cherished as so long awaited, and will be our only one. Words can't express our feelings at this special special time.

ValC Thu 01-Sep-16 11:58:26

I have 4 granddaughters aged from 13yrs to 9 yrs and I adore them all.
One of my granddaughters lives in Wales. She is adopted and has learning difficulties. She has the most amazing character and is a joy to spend time with.
Each year I book a caravan in Wales for my other 3 granddaughters and myself and we alsways have a wonderful time . It is the only time all four of them can spend some time together and they all get on really well. It is the one time of year that all 4 really look forwards to.
The other 3 have lots of sleepovers with me and come for tea 3 times a week. They really keep me going and give me something to look forward to. I live alone so they are the only company I get really. I have minded them since they were babies after Mum went back to work so we know each so well and my house is just a second home to them. Who could ask for more.

Lindyloo58 Thu 01-Sep-16 12:53:45

Precious moments of pure unadulterated love, which as a grandma l cherish ??

Venus Thu 01-Sep-16 12:56:11

My relationship is special with my six year old grand daughter because I can pretend to be six all over again! We discuss such important matters as what princesses do at weekends, (when they're not at school) where fairies fly and how do you become a mermaid?

An age of innocence . . . lovely!

rosesarered Thu 01-Sep-16 15:43:18

My autistic grandson and I have always had a special bond,he feels safe with me, and often tells me things that he knows I will understand and sympathise with.When he stays overnight I hold his hand until he sleeps, even though he is way over the age for this,as he is fearful of almost everything.

janeyf Thu 01-Sep-16 15:49:21

We have a lot of fun together - she likes that I join in with activities and rarely say no to things!

callkiki Thu 01-Sep-16 15:51:07

I think that I am so much more relaxed and able to just enjoy my grandchildren as I am able to over look things that I had planned or jobs I want to get done as I know that these moments with them are so precious and just seem to try and focus on the fun moments.

sophie56 Thu 01-Sep-16 15:52:24

We share so many interests. We love to read together, watching a Disney film, Walking the dog and making up stories together as we walk, cooking goodies, having mini debates and best of all a jolly good cuddle.

pamelaJEAN Thu 01-Sep-16 16:12:09

I have 5 grandchildren each one, makes me feel special, the eldest messages me everyday on Facebook to say she loves me. The youngest the one and only boy, gives me secret cuddles. The special one Molly Ann likes to swish me , she makes me laugh everyday, ( she has special needs). The cheeky one counts my skin tags on my neck and comments about her grandads big belly!! The next likes my dinners, and my Smell!!!! My grandchildren keep me young at heart

jt75 Thu 01-Sep-16 16:20:49

We find the same things funny and have a great laugh together.

Miriam Thu 01-Sep-16 16:24:31

I have looked after her since she was born and we always have great fun playing, reading book and giggling. Cannot believe she starts pre-school next week.

anniebyrne Thu 01-Sep-16 16:34:58

We don't get to see each other much because my son doesn't speak to me so it is his wife who brings them to visit me, but when we do we always make a day of it! I'm 67 now but will still go and have a 'cheeky nandos' with them after the cinema or going to adventure parks. We have a lot of fun together and I'm just glad I have a bond with them despite things being difficult between my son and I.

leemw711 Thu 01-Sep-16 17:25:25

I feel very lucky and privileged to see my 3 yr old GD most days as her parents both work. I lost my husband of 40 years recently and it comforts me to know that she still remembers him, loves looking at photos of them together and sings Twinkle, Twinkle to him each night. She chatters to him sometimes and when I asked if he replied was told "Yes, he tells me jokes"! A real comfort when I think of this...

littlefiona Thu 01-Sep-16 19:14:58

i am grandma to my daughters 6 year old stepdaughter.my life has improved so much since she came in to our lives.i love it when she holds my hand when we are out and about and love listening to her tell me lots of tales.i so look forward to seeing her each week,i feel so lucky

Clairemike Thu 01-Sep-16 19:38:34

So much more time to do things with them , always baking for them as that's the first thing when they bounce through the door

cathisherwood Thu 01-Sep-16 19:40:55

What makes it so special is having time to listen and to play without anything else getting in the way. When I know a grandchild is coming everything else goes on hold. I have spent most of the day with my granddaughter today and we have ridden our bikes to the beach to collect shells and make a necklace, picked raspberries to make apple and raspberry pies, tried some knitting and sewing and played games - a lovely day

freefan Thu 01-Sep-16 19:47:26

I love having my grandson round, can sit and play and play without worrying about whether I have the housework done or if 100 othere things you worry about as a parent is done. It's fantastic to just play and giggle and he keeps me young.