Gransnet forums

Competitions

Competition: Win £100 voucher and one of 50 copies of Tiger Days. **NOW CLOSED**

(262 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 30-Aug-16 15:06:56

At Willowgate House, no day is ever dull for Tiger! Win a £100 voucher and one of 50 copies of this heart-warming tale about animals, adventure and the special relationship between a grandmother and her grandchild, by bestselling author Sarah Lean.

When nine-year-old Tiger Days stays with her grandmother at Willowgate House she never knows what might happen… new friends to meet, animals to rescue and problems to solve!

Tiger returns to Willowgate and discovers someone, or something, has been digging up plants, burying eggs and even taking socks from the washing line! And a mysterious tunnel has appeared under the shed… Tiger and her friend Tom turn detective - determined to solve the mystery.

Tiger Days has beautiful black-and-white illustrations throughout and is suitable for children 7+.

To be in with a chance to win a £100 voucher and one of 50 copies of Tiger Days, tell us what makes your relationship with your grandchild special.

Can't wait? Purchase your copy of Tiger Days on Amazon or from all good booksellers, and find out more about the author Sarah Lean on her website.

Download an extract from chapter one of Tiger here.

This competition closes at midday on 14 November 2016.

Lynne810 Mon 05-Sep-16 09:35:40

I have always looked after my grandsons while my daughter works but when I became ill we swapped roles. The eldest refuses to let me lift a finger - he carries everything for me, fetches snacks and even runs the Hoover round occasionally. The little one does his best - getting things off the lower shelves at the supermarket and carrying what he can in his backpack. We have a special, caring relationship and I feel truly blessed.

DENISEG Mon 05-Sep-16 09:42:35

Seem to have a lot of time for our Grandchildren, more than we had for our children I suppose we were both working & keeping a roof over our heads.

gillyknits Mon 05-Sep-16 09:57:32

As we live far away from our GC we have to make the most of their visits. Grand daughter comes for a week at a time and we have fun making things and going to exciting places.When she has returned home we are shattered. Have yet to have grandson as he is a bit young but will need to hang on to our hats when he comes to stay. I love it when Grandpa has been his usual daft self and GD puts her hands on her hips and declares 'Silly Grandpa!'

bioniknan Mon 05-Sep-16 10:05:07

They love me and I love them with all my heart

Coppernob Mon 05-Sep-16 10:20:05

She lives in Italy and so we mostly talk to each other in an Italian/English mix on Skype. But when we do see each other she flings her arms round me and says "I love you Granneeeeee" in the way only a 3 year old Italian can!

Aepgirl Mon 05-Sep-16 10:43:50

I am very fortunate that I see my lovely 5-year old grandson every week, but recently he is saying he would like to stay overnight with me, which gives me a lovely warm feeling inside. It is so special just being him and me for a whole day and night.

Molly10 Mon 05-Sep-16 10:52:33

Loving seeing the world through their eyes, taking time to notice the simple things and being took back to the innocence of childhood. Knowing that they love you unconditionally, as you do them, without that critical adult eye we develop over the years.

Greenfinch Mon 05-Sep-16 11:21:04

Our grandson creeps into our bed in the middle of the night.He loves to snuggle down and we love it too even though he tends to sleep diagonally across the bed.He is autistic and so we have a special bond.

gran1 Mon 05-Sep-16 11:50:29

Doing lots of craft activities together(that I thought I'd forgotten how to do) But knitting, potato prints etc. etc. have all come back to me!

Pamaga Mon 05-Sep-16 12:01:19

My son had a wonderful relationship with his granny (my Mum) and I feel that young Charlie and I are going to have a similar one. Although he is not yet two, we seem to laugh at the same things and share a love of books. This morning I managed to drop my breakfast toast jam side down on my skirt and we were both in fits of laughter about it. He even walks the same way as me with what my OH calls ' a lethal left arm'!

dahlia08 Mon 05-Sep-16 12:17:50

My relationship with my grandsons are precious.. I look forward to go to their place on Thursday afternoon, so we can babysit for Friday while mum and dad are working.. How jumps for joy when he sees us. We play football, catch, Lego , games and puzzles so lovely to do things together. Sometimes take him on the bus to town. The older grandson will be at school, but he came and stay with us fot Two days every week and we had lots to do. We went to the museum, park play football, join the dot, hangman, help washing the car. I wish they stay young and cuddly all the time. X

GeminiJen Mon 05-Sep-16 12:25:43

Spending time with my grandchildren brings me so much joy. What makes the relationships special?
Well, with each it's different.
With A(8), it's playing the computer games he loves and reading all the Harry Potter books with him.
With J and C (7), who live in Barcelona, it's laughing at my attempts to learn Spanish, having them visit and sharing my love for their father's country of birth.
With D(4), it's giggling at my attempts to mimic his latest dance moves and being asked to sing him his favourite lullaby at bed time.....over and over again!!
Vive la difference grin

Noreen3 Mon 05-Sep-16 12:46:03

I love Eve,my one and only grandchild,I was 58 when she was born,so I had quite a long wait to be a Grandma.
Life was good when she was born,but my husband started to have health problems while Eve was a baby.To cut a long story short,I perhaps didn't bond as well with Eve for a while,but when later on I was able to fetch her from nursery and then school and have her in the holidays one day a week.We have fun together,she cheers me up,as my husband is in a care home now,and not well(he is my 2nd husband and doesn't see my family now).Eve is 6 now,a lovely little girl,I love being a Grandma.

inishowen Mon 05-Sep-16 13:40:05

I love all three of my grandchildren, but the eldest little girl is special because she was the first. She's four and has just started school. I looked after her as a baby while mum and dad worked. We've done jigsaws, read books, painted, done face painting, gone to the park, played in the garden, learned hop scotch, run races, rode bikes and scooters. It's been great for me to have all this fun again at 64!

vanbandi Mon 05-Sep-16 13:45:13

If I'm with my grandson, it gives so much happiness. I forget about anything else. His smile and smell,makes my heart melt away

gillybob Mon 05-Sep-16 14:53:26

I consider myself extremely lucky to enjoy a very special relationship with each of my three grandchildren.

The eldest girl is aged 10 going on 25 and she is a great gossip. She is brilliant company. She has been staying with me and her grandad since she was only a few weeks old and I cannot imagine a life without her in it.

The middle grandchild is 8. She is so different from her older sister and is like a whirlwind that comes in a room and knocks you clean off your feet. She cannot keep still and is forever cartwheeling, hand-standing or jumping from the banister. Like her sister she has been staying with us since she was only weeks old and is a born entertainer.

The little one is 6. He is my gorgeous boy. With the face of an angel but the temper of the devil he just has to look at me and I melt. We have the best fun playing football and apparently I am "not too bad for an old grandma" although, in his words "he does give me lots of chances".

I count myself so lucky to have such wonderful grandchildren.

Hameringham Mon 05-Sep-16 16:19:49

Enjoying their company and feeding their natural thirst for knowledge and new experiences gives me a huge amount of pleasure.

craftygran Mon 05-Sep-16 17:29:16

We have 26 grandchildren, I was lucky enough to be at birth of 4 of them and definitely have a special bond with them. Our 11yr old granddaughter loves coming to visit "silly granddad" and our 21yr old says grandad is her life. Our 18yr old granddaughter, who has just had a baby, announced to her family nurse that she didn't know what she would do without us and we are her life.

kaydeed Mon 05-Sep-16 18:36:23

It has to be as we see them every weekday. We have seen all their first milestones and have a very close relationship with them.

greenfinger5 Mon 05-Sep-16 19:20:32

For me it would be the time me & his grandad spend with him, just playing.

Harris27 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:44:22

I have. Special relationship with all my gens children my little favourite adults!!! We have bake days and fun colouring days garden picnics and face painting days I love it!

savagerose51b Mon 05-Sep-16 22:09:05

The way he thinks of me, a rather portly and ungainly retired lady, as a playmate with whom to play chase, climb through a play tunnel (no chance my love!), play with him on the wii and laugh uncontrollably with our faces covered in cream from the Splat game at Christmas.

middleagespread Mon 05-Sep-16 22:32:23

The bubble of love that exploded when I had my children burst again when I held each of my grandchildren. Feel so blessed.

theresacoo Tue 06-Sep-16 10:17:54

well, I have learnt from all the mistakes I made with my children.

also, I am re learning things all the time, how the world works which I long forgot and appreciate the world we live in

simone1 Tue 06-Sep-16 12:37:20

my grandaughter so funny shes not 2 yet and can count numbers colours she knows too and 1- 10 we have a great laugh as she loves to stick stickers in her book l have bought lana so many she sees me and say stick stick ha shes a joy to have and yes spend loads time reading to her she loves book already in the libary gets 6 books a fourtnight