Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a copy of Chris Paling's new book, Reading Allowed **NOW CLOSED**

(81 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Feb-17 16:30:02

Following last week's guest post about local libraries by author Chris Paling, we'd love to hear about the books that feature your local area.

Is it a Brontë masterpiece set on the moors of Yorkshire or a recent debut telling the story of a widow in a quiet Essex village? Well-known or obscure, we want to know!

Tell us the name of your town or city and the name of the book (or books) in which it's featured for a chance to win Chris' book Reading Allowed: True Stories and Curious Incidents from a Provincial Library.

Competition closes Monday 20 February.

For more on all things local, visit your Gransnet Local site.

lynnalex Sat 11-Feb-17 15:31:05

Stoke on Trent Arnold Bennett Anna of the five towns and Clayhanger are set in Stoke among others he wrote.

imacmum Sat 11-Feb-17 17:17:22

Resistance is Futile by Jenny Colgan, I live in Ipswich and the book is set in Cambridge, Ipswich and Felixstowe, not her usual subject but loved it anyway!

Annie29 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:31:04

A Song For Issy Bradley by Carys Bray. This book features Southport and talks about the bumpy coastal road,which is still very bumpy.

Philp17 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:09:45

Howard's End by EM Forster is based on his childhood home in Stevenage. The house is called Rooks Nest and is in a quiet lane, away from the bustle of the new town. When a film was made of the novel, the original was deemed too small so a house in Berkshire was used.

Treebee Sat 11-Feb-17 21:32:35

There are many books featuring my home town of Bletchley due to the role of Bletchley Park in World War Two.
The one book I'd mention is The Secret Life of Bletchley Park by Sinclair McKay as it looks at the lives of those who worked there. What I find fascinating is the pressures they were under living in this secret community, not able to tell friends and family and those who they lived with what they were working on.
The book even goes into the food they ate and their leisure pastimes; fascinating.
We owe these people so much.

rachelkanga Sat 11-Feb-17 21:43:48

Grew up in Bexhill on sea, East Sussex which was the B in ABC murders by Agatha Christie.

Tizliz Sat 11-Feb-17 21:59:31

Diana gabaldon's Cross Stitch is bases in Inverness - my nearest town.

MB1001 Sun 12-Feb-17 14:35:13

Reflections of Bognor Regis by Sylvia Endacott contains so many memories and wonderful pictures of seaside days gone by. Fantastic book.

Pamish Sun 12-Feb-17 14:53:50

The Tottenham Outrage by M H Baylis. The second in a series of three books featuring the journalist/detective Rex Tracey. All these books are set in and around Haringey and dig into local stories and cultures. In this one his investigation into what seems to be a religiously-based murder crosses into the true story from 1909 where a robbery went wrong and ended in a chase across Tottenham and two deaths.

Rex gets the same buses that I do.

MadGrandma Sun 12-Feb-17 15:46:21

Diggindoris - I know the author - she used to be a volunteer for the Library Housebound service when I was in charge of it!

SHORTMAN Sun 12-Feb-17 17:33:52

Tiger Bay Blues by Catrin Collier set in Cardiff - a brilliant read

jules56 Sun 12-Feb-17 18:53:46

Burnley, Mist over Pendle

chrissie13 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:20:02

My town is Newquay in Cornwall, where the book Blue by Lisa Glass is based.

Buddie Sun 12-Feb-17 22:29:34

Oxford seems a very dangerous place to live given the number of authors setting their crime novels in the city with Colin Dexter's Morse novels being perhaps the best known. Veronica Stallwood has her Kate Ivory novels and Peter Tickler sets his police novels in the Cowley area of Oxford but crime is an age old problem as Ian Morson's Falconer series shows, set in Medieval Oxford. The murder count through the ages must be phenomenal.

Isis1981uk Mon 13-Feb-17 11:35:53

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh...I live in Oxford.

gillybob Mon 13-Feb-17 12:00:05

I am from Tyne and Wear and as a child Catherine Cookson lived just a few doors away from my late grandad. She wrote extensively about our region. Too many books to name them all but most of her books contain "real" characters and were set in and around the places she and my ancestors grew up in. Her book The Fifteen Streets was sadly only too realistic. Set in 1910 in the poverty stricken streets of Tyneside, it shared the often shared a common theme of "above stairs" and "below stairs" or rather people who were who they were, because of circumstances.

maganne Mon 13-Feb-17 13:10:57

I live in Hull and I love to read Valerie Wood's books which are based around Hull and area in olden days.

dahlia08 Tue 14-Feb-17 09:27:54

I live in Leigh, I don't think there is any poet featured yet. If there is it will be the coal mining, Pennington flash....

Radley Tue 14-Feb-17 13:38:26

I live in the granite city of Aberdeen from where the crime novels by Stuart MacBride originate

sheridarby Thu 16-Feb-17 18:49:58

Friern Barnet in North London and it is mentioned in Umbrella by Will Self. Strangley it was written just as we were struggling to save Friern Barnet Librarby from our barbaric council

laurenold Sat 18-Feb-17 08:44:50

I live in North Cornwall so the series of Poldark novels would be my chosen books

zeenie Sat 18-Feb-17 09:18:28

i live in grimsby which is featured in The Grimsby Book Of Days by Lucy Wood

Purpledaffodil Sat 18-Feb-17 11:52:51

I live in Shepperton which occasionally features in old films due to the local film studios (Anyone remember Genevieve?). Two books mentioning Shepperton are Three men in a boat and Oliver Twist where Oliver is led through Shepperton by Bill Sykes. Coincidentally the book of the film "Oliver!" was filmed at Shepperton Studios.

candyfloss79 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:17:53

I think it was Adele Parks' Spare Brides which had a character from Middlesbrough in it.... Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's only local writers who feature the town.

shandi6570 Sat 18-Feb-17 12:36:26

I don't live in the South Hams area of Devon, but had many summer holidays in the area, from a child through to middle age and always enjoy books written by Marcia Willett. A good author and her story locations often bring back memories of happy times spent there.