Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a copy of Chris Paling's new book, Reading Allowed **NOW CLOSED**

(81 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Feb-17 16:30:02

Following last week's guest post about local libraries by author Chris Paling, we'd love to hear about the books that feature your local area.

Is it a Brontë masterpiece set on the moors of Yorkshire or a recent debut telling the story of a widow in a quiet Essex village? Well-known or obscure, we want to know!

Tell us the name of your town or city and the name of the book (or books) in which it's featured for a chance to win Chris' book Reading Allowed: True Stories and Curious Incidents from a Provincial Library.

Competition closes Monday 20 February.

For more on all things local, visit your Gransnet Local site.

sunset34 Sat 18-Feb-17 19:05:26

I'm from Maidstone which Charles Dickens renamed Muggleton in the Pickwick papers. We've even got a pub called The Muggleton Inn to celebrate it.

Angella Sun 19-Feb-17 11:06:18

Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell is set in Manchester where I live and is a truly wonderful tale all about the class division between 1839 and 1842

black5 Sun 19-Feb-17 12:07:00

I live in Northwich - Local horror author Stuart Neild's first novel, A Haunted Man, was set in the salt mines that run underneath Northwich

mimicat1 Sun 19-Feb-17 15:01:00

The Catherine Cookson books edict my area though I live a bit further up in Northumberland.

hopezibah Sun 19-Feb-17 23:21:53

my hometown is brighton and it's featured in a book my husband has been reading called 'Late Whitsun'by jasper kent - my turn to read it now as he's just finished it