Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a copy of Philippa Gregory's Dark Tracks *NOW CLOSED*

(259 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Aug-18 09:34:46

Is your grandchild an avid reader? You're in luck! We're giving away 15 copies of Dark Tracks by bestselling author Philippa Gregory (best known for her novel The Other Boleyn Girl), ideal for young readers aged 12 and over.

More details on the book HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will be picking a winner at random after 11am on 6 September.

To enter simply tell us... What was your favourite book as a child/young adult and why?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Limmy14 Thu 23-Aug-18 15:30:08

I used to love The House That Sailed Away. So full of adventure, simple but effective.

sue01 Thu 23-Aug-18 15:38:27

Three Men in A Boat by Jerome K Jerome, which I first read when I was 7... and am still reading at least once a year now ! It's essentially a travelogue but laugh out loud funny, and surprisingly moving too.

The advice which begins " Let your Boat of Life Be Light" is a great way to live your life !

I love this book !!

moonray Thu 23-Aug-18 15:38:56

As I child I loved (and still do!) The Secret Garden, because it reminds me that our lives are a magical and wonderful gift that we should be thankful for every moment.

lemongrove Thu 23-Aug-18 15:46:44

Any of The Secret Seven books by Enid Blyton.I really wanted to be one of them and live that life.

M00se Thu 23-Aug-18 15:53:33

Watership Down was the book for me. We were given it just before school broke up for the summer holidays, and told that we would be reading it when we went back in September.
I remember being bored one day in the holidays, so i picked it up and started to read.
By the end of the holidays i had read it 6 times. Absolutely loved it.
I still find time to re-read it about once a year now.

nettymay Thu 23-Aug-18 16:03:01

I loved Heidi - thought she had a wonderful time!

Deano777 Thu 23-Aug-18 16:05:46

My favourite was The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. It was so magical and so well written I felt as if I was there.

Julebish Thu 23-Aug-18 17:02:40

My favourite book when I was a teenager was flowers in the attic , it had such a powerful effect on me , and I will always remember that book with great emotions

chloet282 Thu 23-Aug-18 17:08:35

My favourite book when I was younger was The Story Of Tracy Beaker by Jacquline Wilson. Tracy is a great character, funny and witty, but also caring to others. I loved reading this book as it was sad at times, but very honest and real.

Humbertbear Thu 23-Aug-18 17:15:36

I loved the Sadlers Wells Books of Lorna Hill. I didn’t do ballet, I’d never been to Northumberland and I definitely didn’t live in a castle but I used to save up for months to buy a new book . I think they showed me there was a better life out there, somewhere. I named my son Guy after the romantic young man in the stories who became a vet. Now I’m an adult I’ve managed to build a compete set. They cost 10/6d when I was a little girl (just over 50p) at a time when I would be given 2/6d by an uncle for my birthday. I’ve given away a lot of children’s books but those are staying with me.

tigerwibi Thu 23-Aug-18 17:31:50

I read and reread Swallows & Amazons, have always been drawn to adventure stories.

Minnibix Thu 23-Aug-18 17:34:58

My favourite book was Black Beauty, I love horses and read the book several times, but it always had the same sad ending

tinaf1 Thu 23-Aug-18 17:37:41

I would have a job to choose between Little Women and Mallory Towers. I loved the characters in both books and really cared about what happened to them. I always wanted Jo in Little Women to end up with Laurie but when I read Jo's Boys was glad it all turned out as it did. Even now if I don't care about the characters I find it really hard to finish a book.

liz1970 Thu 23-Aug-18 18:07:02

I used to love anything my Enid Blyton, especially the Magic Faraway tree, as got so engrossed to what they got up to smile

mollymockford Thu 23-Aug-18 18:25:02

Children's historical fiction - Rosemary Sutcliff, Geoffrey Trease, Henry Treece and so forth. I just devoured them all - and yet I had no interest whatsoever in the history they taught us at school, all dates and kings, nothing about real people!

chris2468 Thu 23-Aug-18 19:39:36

What was your favourite book as a child/young adult and why? . . . . Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales . . . . for some reason they mesmerised me, l can still remember chuckling my way through The Emperor's New Clothes each time l read it

chelseababy Thu 23-Aug-18 20:39:58

The Family From One End Street was mine. Hard times but full of love.

debwh142 Thu 23-Aug-18 20:54:16

The family from one end street - it was life in the east end from the 30s and so different from how we grew up I was fascinated by it

shazzie Thu 23-Aug-18 20:58:07

I have always been a huge reader but the ones that come to mind are the What Katy Did books; I can't remember how many times I've read them over the years!!

pennwood Thu 23-Aug-18 21:02:31

Grimms Fairy Tales because the short stories were so magical.

georgepow Thu 23-Aug-18 21:09:46

Swallows & Amazons, I have re-read the Youngsters Story many times never get Bored!

Elrel Thu 23-Aug-18 22:49:09

Peter Pan then, when I was older, Little Women.

Kas227 Thu 23-Aug-18 23:01:53

For me, being pony mad, it was any of the plethora of books written by the Pullein-Thompson sisters - Josephine, Diana and Christine.

Alypoole Thu 23-Aug-18 23:03:12

A Peep Behind the Scenes by Amy Catherine Walton - MUST read it again!

mysticwen Thu 23-Aug-18 23:12:39

i loved Heidi by Joanne Spiri , i would keep asking my sister to read it to me again and again. i just loved being in the mountains with grandfather