Gransnet forums

Competitions

Why do you travel? Tell us for the chance to win a £300 voucher *NOW CLOSED*

(515 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 10-Sep-18 11:40:37

Why do you travel? What drives you to venture far from home and see sights you've never seen before?

Collette have spent the last 100 years taking people all over the world, and along the way they've learned that travel isn’t about the places you go. It’s about you and your reasons for going.

And everyone has different reasons. They can be big - a promise to a loved one, fulfilling a lifetime goal. But they can also be small - the blue water in Capri or the cuisine in France.

The reason doesn’t have to be happy for the trip to be important and fulfilling. In fact, the most powerful reasons probably won’t be. But they will be personal, deep, meaningful and maybe even surprising.

As the longest-running tour operator in North America, Collette has provided guided travel for 100 years. With trips to all seven continents, Collette’s guests fulfil their deepest travel aspirations in a variety of ways with travel styles that are diversified to suit every traveller’s personal style.

So, for the chance to win a £300 voucher, tell us - what's your reason for travel?

Please post your entries by 11am 24 September. Usual T&Cs apply.

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE.

glenka Tue 11-Sep-18 09:46:47

Because i love to visit other countries and have a wonderful experience

valbuk Tue 11-Sep-18 09:48:18

To see the world through both my own and other peoples eyes and I regard it as a privilege to be able to do so.

bubbleybooboo Tue 11-Sep-18 10:02:38

I travel for the pleasure of exploring somewhere new

bobble5366 Tue 11-Sep-18 10:05:33

I travel now I am semi-retired to see countries and cultures I have only seen on TV or read about, I want to start a travel blog for the over 60s to inspire people to travel, dispel myths about countries, try and inspire different methods of transport (ferries, trains (abroad and in the UK), air travel, cruise, and campervan hire). I would also love to try foods from from Asia (streetfoods, and new ingredients) , meet new cultures and try to learn a new language (well enough to got by). Life is too short, and there is a big world out there.

JessK Tue 11-Sep-18 10:07:28

To see and learn the history and culture of other countries. It's a wonderful way of learning and understanding others as well as being able to experience different aspects of our natural world we never see here in the UK.

maryandbuzz1 Tue 11-Sep-18 10:08:06

I love seeing new places and sampling different food. I love the change in scenery but most of all the different wildlife.

mo3733 Tue 11-Sep-18 10:13:15

i love to travel. its an adventure every time and you get to see different cultures and ways of life.

sallyh Tue 11-Sep-18 10:28:54

to see the culture in other places. to see how other people live

sophie56 Tue 11-Sep-18 10:36:22

To see family who live abroad and we miss terribly

janeyf Tue 11-Sep-18 10:36:40

I travel to get a change of scene and to feel uplifted

jazzitup Tue 11-Sep-18 10:47:10

I love to travel but as yet have not reached Hawaii, not yet.

hellywellyt Tue 11-Sep-18 10:49:16

To taste the foods of the rest of the world authentically

xcxcsophiexcxc Tue 11-Sep-18 10:57:20

It gives me a sense of being free ! I love trying out local food aswell

SKBelle Tue 11-Sep-18 11:01:23

I travel because I love to see new places and meet new people. I'm very interested in photography so travelling to new places with my camera makes me happy!

lizd31 Tue 11-Sep-18 11:03:58

Sadly due to health & disability issues I can no longer travel on holiday. The only place I go is up north to visit my family but I have to get a taxi which costs over £200 each time so I don't get to see them very often

Olive1820 Tue 11-Sep-18 11:05:24

To get away from the kids .......

finleypop Tue 11-Sep-18 11:12:39

I travel to escape my day to day life & experience a different way to live for just a short time

NotSpaghetti Tue 11-Sep-18 11:23:33

I love to travel. It’s usually to somewhere a little warmer but not always - mainly it’s lovely to be away from home where all the little “jobs” are irrelevant.
I love the relaxation this brings, the pleasure of discovering other people’s ways, new places, meeting new people.
I love the way I notice the beauty of places more (both whilst away and when back home) and I love that a holiday gives us the opportunity to just be together, peacefully.
What a joy and a privilege it is to be able to take a break from the “everyday”.

giddyypixie Tue 11-Sep-18 11:32:17

I love to explore new places with my family - try different cuisines (we are such a foodie family!), experience different cultures and in general, just making lasting memories.

cherylann2461 Tue 11-Sep-18 11:49:30

I love to see how other people live and try all the different foods.

cathwarbur Tue 11-Sep-18 12:02:38

I travel because I want to see as much of our own country & the world as I can. Love the differences in culture and enjoy meeting the locals, plus it gets me out of the house

glennamy Tue 11-Sep-18 12:05:11

I travel because I love seeing different vistas of the world... My next trip is going to be around S. E. Asia

goonersue Tue 11-Sep-18 12:29:35

I love to travel, to see new sights and cultures. To view the beautiful sights that this world and man have created. To taste the food from different countries, and experience new cultures.

kittykat692 Tue 11-Sep-18 12:37:40

I travel to meet new people and experience different cultures.

cinders59 Tue 11-Sep-18 12:40:30

We were unable to travel far when our children were younger, now we travel everywhere we can, love seeing different countries