Gransnet forums

Competitions

Why do you travel? Tell us for the chance to win a £300 voucher *NOW CLOSED*

(514 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 10-Sep-18 11:40:37

Why do you travel? What drives you to venture far from home and see sights you've never seen before?

Collette have spent the last 100 years taking people all over the world, and along the way they've learned that travel isn’t about the places you go. It’s about you and your reasons for going.

And everyone has different reasons. They can be big - a promise to a loved one, fulfilling a lifetime goal. But they can also be small - the blue water in Capri or the cuisine in France.

The reason doesn’t have to be happy for the trip to be important and fulfilling. In fact, the most powerful reasons probably won’t be. But they will be personal, deep, meaningful and maybe even surprising.

As the longest-running tour operator in North America, Collette has provided guided travel for 100 years. With trips to all seven continents, Collette’s guests fulfil their deepest travel aspirations in a variety of ways with travel styles that are diversified to suit every traveller’s personal style.

So, for the chance to win a £300 voucher, tell us - what's your reason for travel?

Please post your entries by 11am 24 September. Usual T&Cs apply.

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE.

DoraMarr Mon 10-Sep-18 12:37:16

I travel because I want to know more about the world. I want to explore the culture and everyday lives of the people in different countries, to see what makes them tick, and to celebrate the differences and the similarities between people.

Auntieflo Mon 10-Sep-18 12:42:04

For excitement, for new and strange places, for beauty in unexpected places, for me!!

BBbevan Mon 10-Sep-18 12:57:11

For the last 3 years we have been to Norway. We live in a Scandi Hus and want to make it as authentic as we can, Thus the visits to Norway. It is a most beautiful country and the people are great

evianers Mon 10-Sep-18 13:29:38

We travel because we have the opportunity living as we do on the borders of France and Switzerland - so easy to simply get into the car and drive off to surrounding countries. Aren't we lucky?

HALA Mon 10-Sep-18 13:56:47

I travel because I love experiencing other cultures, trying different cuisines, and seeing beautiful sceneries, mountains, and other wonders of the world!

katynana Mon 10-Sep-18 15:27:49

We travel now because we can, at the moment, afford to do so. As we no longer have to cater for the costs involved in travelling as a group of 6 we are able to 'push the boat out' a bit. Cruising has taken over from flying as we no longer 'enjoy' hanging around in airports and we revel in seeing parts of the world, albeit for now, based on departures available from the UK. We have seen so many wonderful places to date and hope to see many more.

kathsue Mon 10-Sep-18 16:45:27

Two reasons why I travel;

1) I was diagnosed with MS a few years ago so I'm doing as much as I can while I still can.

2) I've been bringing up my DGS for the last 12 years. There are a lot of things I can't do as well as a younger,fitter parent could but what I can do is take him to different countries to experience the sights and the culture. We've been to America, Canada, Thailand and much of Europe.

He helps me with my mobility and I'm broadening his mind (I hope).

BlueBelle Mon 10-Sep-18 17:17:21

I don’t travel so much for adventure now but to see my grandkids and children when I can, two in NZ I only see every few years (usually about five ) because of the cost and another three in Ireland I see about twice a year nothing much left for fun travel

Hellosunshine Mon 10-Sep-18 18:52:43

I love to travel because there's a big wide world out there and I want to see as much of it as I can whilst I'm still able to.

Alima Mon 10-Sep-18 19:19:25

I travel because I can. The first time I went abroad, Florida, I was 35. Making up for lost time!

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Sep-18 19:25:15

I never thought there was any point in learning French at school as I would never get to go abroad. Then when I was 38 I did. We had a Eurocamp holiday in Brittany. Five years later I had my first plane flight and I was hooked. When DH retired we bought round the world plane tickets and spent four months zigzagging our way around the globe. And we haven’t stopped since.

To see animals in the wild and meet different peoples and learn their cultures is incredibly wonderful. And at the same time by visiting different countries and cultures we do a tiny bit to help save wildlife and provide local employment. I feel very privileged.

moleswife Mon 10-Sep-18 19:48:19

I enjoy different types of travel but my annual summer holiday is to travel with my daughter and her family wherever she has decided to holiday. I've visited places I might not have gone to but the main joy is shared time with the family when they are at their most relaxed, and carefree; especially as the children, all adults now, are there with only a fun time to think about.

graninthemist Mon 10-Sep-18 19:50:21

Like other people of our age, we want to see as much of the world as we possibly can while we can. We have no real idea of how long it will be before declining health will limit our horizons, but meanwhile we shall strive to visit as many strange and exotic lands as we are able. Certainly cruising is as good a way as any to achieve our ambition in comfort without constantly packing and unpacking with the added benefit of being unashamedly spoilt between destinations.

Galen Mon 10-Sep-18 20:40:32

What other reason would I have to wear my pearls, other than formal evenings on Cunard?

annodomini Mon 10-Sep-18 21:29:35

The Queen seems to have worn hers all the time for about 80 years.

grannyactivist Mon 10-Sep-18 21:57:48

Galen my children bought me a pearl necklace for my 30th (pearl) wedding anniversary two years ago and I have yet to take it off. It's just a short necklace though and I venture that your pearls are perhaps of a somewhat different league to my simple ones. grin

tidyskatemum Mon 10-Sep-18 22:45:42

I'm a. Sagittarian and true to my sign have always had itchy feet. I travelled before I got married but DH couldn't see beyond his native Scotland for 30 years. I think I have finally converted him, especially as our children now live in the USA and Thailand. I just love experiencing new cultures and tasting their food!

vivianallman Mon 10-Sep-18 22:59:32

we love travelling, now the children have grown up we can go to places we want to, and not have to look for child friendly, we can have us time and enjoy the sights and sounds of things that interest us.

Chewbacca Mon 10-Sep-18 23:59:42

There are so many parts of this beautiful island that we live on, that I've never seen or heard of, and I've set myself a target of travelling to at least 2 new areas each year. With each new area that I visit, I'm astounded at how stunningly beautiful and diverse Great Britain is and I'm always left wanting to return to an area to explore its history more deeply. When I've "done" our beautiful country, with its castles, ancient gardens and historical stories, I'll move on to Italy in the same way.

Annie29 Tue 11-Sep-18 00:12:27

The reason we travel is to see and experience some of the beautiful places in the World.
Canada is top of the list so far

andywedge Tue 11-Sep-18 01:21:31

It's good to see new things, eat new things, meet new people, live a little, rather than just exist

debbie1957uk Tue 11-Sep-18 02:04:18

I love to travel because it is a big world out there and I love to meet people from different cultures and visit different countries. Our world is beautiful and I want to see as much of it as possible while I am healthy.It is also good to spend special time away from home with family without work getting in the way.

prwilson Tue 11-Sep-18 03:36:45

I like to travel to see the way different people live, experience different cultures and new ideas.

MimiJoy Tue 11-Sep-18 04:54:33

I travel for the pleasure of experiencing different cultures, scenery, knowledge and meeting many different sorts of people.