Gransnet forums

Competitions

Best reads for Christmas - win £600 of books

(601 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 14-Nov-18 09:51:32

It's that time of year again (hurrah) and time for our best reads for Christmas page...great gift ideas to cater for every taste. Recommendations include fiction, non-fiction, cookery, quizzes and more.

And one very lucky person can win the lot...worth almost £600.

Simply tell us on this thread which gift you are most looking forward to giving this Christmas. It can be big, small, homemade, expensive or free. After all, it's the thought that counts.

Usual Gransnet terms and conditions apply. A winner will be drawn at random at midday on Wednesday 12 December.

Harris27 Wed 14-Nov-18 10:23:03

My best present I will give is a home to my son who is struggling to make ends meet. I will welcome him home and make his and our Christmas special just by us being together, when he is ready to leave again I will give him our blessing and the knowledge that he will always be welcome. Hope you all have a very happy peaceful Christmas x

gillybob Wed 14-Nov-18 11:39:16

My DGD (10) is an avid reader. She takes after her grandma wink

She has recently discovered the books by Michael Morpurgo and has recently read The Wreck of the Zanzibar to me, which we both thoroughly enjoyed. She said she would love to read more adventure books by this author and I have found the most amazing box set of 16 of his books !! I can't wait to see her open it ! smile

EllanVannin Wed 14-Nov-18 11:46:00

Well done Harris27 your Christmas will indeed be special.x

EllanVannin Wed 14-Nov-18 11:51:12

I'm going to buy Roger Daltrey's book----" Thanks a lot Mr Kibblewhite ". Daltrey has done wonders over the years in the charity for teens with cancer. He's a great character and the book is a biography about his past years with the " Who ".
I might be slightly biased as my cousin was their " roadie ".

Nandalot Wed 14-Nov-18 12:28:16

I am really looking forward to seeing my grandson’s face on Christmas morning. We have managed to find him an Eddie Stobart train for his model railway. He is mad on his train set and made on Eddie Stobart. Win, win.

glammanana Wed 14-Nov-18 12:45:11

I'm looking forward to having all my DGSs & DGDs plus the 2 new babies all together over Xmas,I only live in a small bungalow so there is not a lot of space to accommadate them all so I am going to be chief cook and bottle washer at my DDs home on Xmas Eve when we shall give out all the Xmas boxes to the little ones.

milli Wed 14-Nov-18 13:10:06

Time. And Books.

npret Wed 14-Nov-18 13:25:05

I want to give my children a day of excitement and wonder, and plan on surprising them by getting them to make a gingerbread house with me for the table centrepiece.

travelsafar Wed 14-Nov-18 13:41:32

I want to give a very special time to some of the elderly people that i take care of, many have no siblings or close relations left, their families live far away or can't cope with them due to illness and very often their friends are gone and they are left with only memories, some can't even share those due to dementia. I will be working over the Christmas period to give the full time carers time off. It will just 5hours out of my life and i am looking forward to it so much it wont seem like work at all.smile

lemongrove Wed 14-Nov-18 13:57:24

Am looking forward to giving DGS a certain kind of yoyo that he has been after for ages, it matters a great deal to him.

SueDonim Wed 14-Nov-18 14:05:31

I'm looking forward to having all of my four children and five grandchildren (two of whom I haven't seen for 18mths) under one roof and giving them lots of home-made food to eat.

They will all get pyjamas, books and a selection box as well as individual presents, which I'm enjoying choosing for them.

gmelon Wed 14-Nov-18 14:17:10

Ellanvannin
I've read the Roger Daltrey book. Highly recommend it.

AndieJ Wed 14-Nov-18 14:42:04

I'm looking forward to giving the gift of loving memories- my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's this year and his condition is progressing quickly; we lose a little more of him each day. I hope to make Christmas as special as I can, so that Mum and Dad are able to enjoy it together and that Mum has some wonderful memories of Dad to cherish in years to come.

manda39 Wed 14-Nov-18 14:54:42

Mostly fun stuff for the grandchildren. .they've already had a few early useful bits ..Xmas jumpers and my first xmas sleepsuits. . No point keeping them till Xmas day

melanieclare2002 Wed 14-Nov-18 15:01:10

I'm looking forward to seeing my partner open his present from me - theatre tickets to see a show in London. I love gifts that give you an experience rather than an object as they also give happy memories to look back on over time.

Grannyknot Wed 14-Nov-18 15:02:54

Air tickets to escape the winter in February! (I'm buying for OH and he is buying the same for me) grin

Lclaytonuk555 Wed 14-Nov-18 15:08:46

I haven’t been able to see my family for s few months now due to illness but looking forward to seeing them at Xmas and seeing my granddaughters open their presents especially the younger one who, for some reason known only to herself, loves rats and I have got her a very nice soft toy one which I know she will love.

starbird Wed 14-Nov-18 15:11:07

Not sure what I’ll be doing yet but as far as books go, I was recently given a book token and agonised between the new biographies in hardback by Michella Obama and Noel Fitzpatrick before deciding to wait for the paperback versions and buying instead two novels that have great reviews - Winter by Ali Smith and In The Midst of Winter by Isobel Allende, plus a short history of Germany and the latest New Scientist. . Now I need the time to read them!

joannapiano Wed 14-Nov-18 15:44:40

We will give our little, new rescue cat a happy time this Christmas, in a warm, loving home. She spent last year as a stray on the streets with her young kitten (her other two kittens didn’t survive).

oldbatty Wed 14-Nov-18 15:46:43

Thought I'd give Middle England a go and The Librarian

LindaKnits Wed 14-Nov-18 15:58:38

My daughter loves baths, but only has a shower at uni, so I've bought her some lush bath bombs and spa foam bath so she can indulge herself when she's home for Christmas!

Fronkydonky Wed 14-Nov-18 16:00:29

I have just given my favourite Christmas gifts this morning. For 25 years I’ve been packing shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child, when my daughters were young they took them off to school and now they’re adults I take them to a drop off centre. I buy toys stationery and useful gifts every month throughout the year and have packed 13 shoeboxes this year, to donate to under privileged youngsters in war torn and troubled countries. I always spare a thought for these children who would get nothing if it wasn’t for this amazing charity and the kindness of strangers.

jessycake Wed 14-Nov-18 16:24:17

I am looking forward to seeing my grandson open his presents , he 2 & 3/4s just that perfect innocent age , but old enough to enjoy it .

herself1953 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:25:56

All I want for Christmas is the family to visit. And a little bit of time to sneak away and read a book or two!