Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a Roberts radio and a copy of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys - Thread 2 *NOW CLOSED*

(93 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 06-Dec-19 13:43:00

To celebrate the release of The Double Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Iggulden, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky gransnetter the chance to win a Roberts Revival radio worth £159.99 and a copy of the book.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th December.

To enter simply tell us... What childhood game, project or activity do you look back on most fondly?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

deaddogsmoking Mon 09-Dec-19 23:11:28

The card game Newmarket for pennies (and the occasional shilling) with my brother, mother, grandmother and grandfather.

Katyl Tue 10-Dec-19 08:57:05

I used to love making perfume from rose petals when I was little. It smelled truly disgusting when I think of it.

ravenmoon3 Tue 10-Dec-19 09:35:25

Ker Plunk

rainbowbutterfly Tue 10-Dec-19 10:16:08

My grandad was a carpenter years ago. He made us shove ha'penny (half-penny) in wood and which you put a ha'penny on the edge of the gridded wood to get it between the lines to win points. It's more valuable personally to us as he made it.

paulinecnd Tue 10-Dec-19 11:45:23

We played Hopscotch in the street, but we had to go to the next street where there were paving slabs. We chalked numbers on the slabs and I think one resident became quite grumpy with us kids.

jojo8208 Tue 10-Dec-19 13:05:54

It was called rummikub & I've been trying to find it recently! It really was a brilliant game

DiWoo Tue 10-Dec-19 13:54:35

We lived in a road that only went back to the main road (the same for road that our back gardens backed on to) so other than people taking a wrong turning, it was only residents who drove down it, consequently it had lots of families living there and the children were often to be found playing games in the street, punctuated only by the odd shout of "car", my favourite was French cricket. Also one snowy winter, when going home from my best friend's house, two doors down, I got waylaid rolling a snowball that became, if my memory hasn't exaggerated it, a huge snowman

andyszym Tue 10-Dec-19 15:19:19

As a child I loved playing football and we lived less than 2 minutes from the Common and I would spend many hours playing with friends and other children we met there until it got dark at the weekend and during school holidays. Great days!

Trio Tue 10-Dec-19 15:36:43

I used to love playing "elastic" - where you had to jump in and out

mec Tue 10-Dec-19 16:00:29

I used to love playing elastic twist with my friends. It's a bit like cats cradle, but bigger, with friends' legs used to hold the elastic while you jumped over it. If my friends were too busy to play I'd get two chairs out on the yard to hold the elastic and play by myself!

misst Tue 10-Dec-19 16:22:49

Playing cowboys and Indians and climbing trees especially an old willow which was hollow on the inside and had an opening at the bottom of the trunk which looked like a doorway, used to squeeze through and climb up the inside then clambour out onto one of the branches which had an old tyre on a rope attached which we used to swing across the stream, was great fun oh happy days

thestax Tue 10-Dec-19 17:15:25

We used to go out on our bikes just riding around the countryside for hours and hours exploring. Such good times!

stephenrigby Tue 10-Dec-19 17:36:49

At junior school I used to play a game called wall-tag. It is a game of tag but once caught one had a chance of freedom if one of the players ran under ones arm that was held against a wall. I used to love it as we played in teams an the game was not over until everyone was trapped against the wall.

jules56 Tue 10-Dec-19 17:43:14

I used to love doing jigsaws with my nan, I didn't care that they were the same ones over and over

rugroba Tue 10-Dec-19 18:09:01

chess its a thinking game!

SandraDJ Tue 10-Dec-19 18:45:38

I used to love playing board games. Scrabble has always been my favourite game.

Edite Tue 10-Dec-19 18:53:51

Making Christmas chains, for decoration, out of gummed paper strips

ItsGreatBeingAGran Tue 10-Dec-19 19:50:08

I was just chatting to a friend the other day about all those memories we have of our childhood - Pebble Bill at 1 and the games we used to play. One of those we both had great memories of despite us not being friends when we were children was jacks, it took some effort to be able to pick up all 10 jacks with one bounce of the ball but I remember how we all persevered at it and how pleased we were when we managed. Oh but the sore knuckles we had especially when we played it on the front (concrete) path. Those were the days!

JonFlorrie Tue 10-Dec-19 20:00:04

My friend and I took weeks making our own 'magazine' with hand written articles stuck into a big broadsheet affair. We did enjoy finding out about different subject to add to it. When we weren't being studious we used to spend hours on the tennis courts bashing a ball to each other. Little did we know how much exercise we were getting so easily!

Hobnobbob Tue 10-Dec-19 20:47:23

Making 'mudpies' in the garden!

Angelwings Tue 10-Dec-19 21:16:35

What childhood game, project or activity do you look back on most fondly?

Skipping with friends using a long rope and playing skipping games together.
We used to make our ropes from old washing line because long ropes were expensive.
We also used to have our own single person ropes which we used to do tricks with whilst skipping.

ickle0ne Tue 10-Dec-19 21:17:42

We really enjoyed playing the board game Frustration as a family when I was little, and now we are older.

MammaGoRound Tue 10-Dec-19 21:24:28

I love playing Risk as a child and I still do.

TDoll Tue 10-Dec-19 21:27:12

Used to live in a small village surrounded by countryside and a forest. We used to have great fun playing hide and seek.

mamagill Tue 10-Dec-19 21:44:35

I remember being taught to play Gin Rummy, I thought I was so cool